Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

pissing down here now.... the first night i let the cows out for the night:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

whelan1 wrote: »
    pissing down here now.... the first night i let the cows out for the night:mad::mad:

You shouldn't have listened to whoever advised you to let them out!!!

Conditions are perfect for meningitis. But it could something else.
    call me old fashioned or stupid but i would prefer to get a diagnosis from a qualified vet rather than some one i have never even met:rolleyes:

But you are not old fashioned!! -:)

But you are not old fashioned!! -:)
    am sick of threads on here with people giving diagnosis- at the end of the day the vet should be your first port of call , not your fellow boardies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

johngalway wrote: »
    It's dry out :eek: I'll put the lifejacket back under the stairs.

utter deluge here from 3.00 to 6.00 ..unreal the amount of water that fell,

on a side note John, do you know if the Brennan Sisters are still performing to gether, ? saw them at a sharon shannon gig a few years back, very talented family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Can't say I know who they are :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

T-shirt off out in the sun today, got home and nearly blowing water bubbles with all the rain there is. Yes to Odelay i was in the frack. Loved it down there, but couldnt face a life of farming round it.

Been using ivermectin injections of one kind or another now for a good few years, in the fight against worms etc,
    Decided to change to a white dose just to break the cycle. Dosed the whole lot except the cows this evening. It's a nightmare tring to catch some of the hoor, and then get the shot into them.
    Injections so much easier on man and beast. Used Endospec.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Been using ivermectin injections of one kind or another now for a good few years, in the fight against worms etc,
    Decided to change to a white dose just to break the cycle. Dosed the whole lot except the cows this evening. It's a nightmare tring to catch some of the hoor, and then get the shot into them.
    Injections so much easier on man and beast. Used Endospec.

Tis many a day I skinned my knuckles giving a white dose :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

anyone ever get their meal/ration tested for quality.
    got 4 t of meal that looked liked it was swept off the floor.

how do you go about getting it tested???

• Advertisement

dar31 wrote: »
    anyone ever get their meal/ration tested for quality.
    got 4 t of meal that looked liked it was swept off the floor.

how do you go about getting it tested???
    send a sample to oldcastle laboratories.. we did it a few years ago afair they are allowed a 10% tolerance level , i think our crowd where well over that... if its coarse meal its harder to get an accurate result than nuts.... think it was around €35 but this was a few years ago

It turned out a fantastic late evening so I went out for an hour or so with my weed wiper, die rushes, die!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

It turned out a fantastic late evening so I went out for an hour or so with my weed wiper, die rushes, die!

It's gas the difference 30/40 miles can make. It's been making a heavy drizel here right up until now. :mad:

At least I'm saving a fortune on suncream:D

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    It's gas the difference 30/40 miles can make. It's been making a heavy drizel here right up until now. :mad:

At least I'm saving a fortune on suncream:D

There's a line, it moves but not too much, somewhere between Oughterard and Maam Cross. You can start the day in Galway with blue skies, and by the time you're nearing Maam Cross it's grey, or vice versa.

Bear in mind though, it piddled down here most of the day, and I do mean proper rain. Got my hit of blue skies this evening :D I was starting to figure out how a junkie feels going cold turkey :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

snowman707 wrote: »
    utter deluge here from 3.00 to 6.00 ..unreal the amount of water that fell,

on a side note John, do you know if the Brennan Sisters are still performing to gether, ? saw them at a sharon shannon gig a few years back, very talented family.
    They are good alright , two of them used to be barmaids in my local a few years ago and a few of us used to go into town on a sunday evening to listen to them . I presume they are still playing together but i havent seen them in awhile ,since I had kids my time is limited for that kind of craic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Dry here this morning and looks like it may be a dry day :)

just do it wrote: »
    Dry here this morning and looks like it may be a dry day :)

still spitting here and much cooler, cows were covered in sh1te this morn, must have sheltered during the night
    moy83 wrote: »
    They are good alright , two of them used to be barmaids in my local a few years ago and a few of us used to go into town on a sunday evening to listen to them . I presume they are still playing together but i havent seen them in awhile ,since I had kids my time is limited for that kind of craic :D

been there done that , my kids are all reared now ,

thinking of hitting away for few days and taking in a few C&W sessions

Just learned of Paddy's death

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0725/1224320764502.html

a truly great voice for farmers, a successful farmer, politician and sportsman

condolences to his family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

RIP - I met him once, just a few words at the mart one day. Thought he was a real gentleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I'm sure he was. I don't know if I'm showing my age, my ignorance, or both.... but I never heard of the man :o

• Advertisement

not a farming topic but a bit of a warning- was in doctors with 1 of the kids yesterday, had a long wait, waiting room was full.... there where 2 old dears having a good gossip, couldnt not listen in... anyway they where talking about an elderly man who had just gone in to the doc... they said out loud, where he lives, that he lives on his own , that he goes to the graveyard everynight from half 7 to half 8..... :eek: now unbeknown to them the was 1 of the local scumbags in the waiting room.... so this guy had gotten a bag full of info from just listening to these 2 old ones.... then they wonder why their house is robbed

There's a reason for the saying "whatever you say, say nothin" and there's even a song about it.

There's a reason for the saying "whatever you say, say nothin" and there's even a song about it.
    yup. felt like telling them to shut up....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

women :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Like they used to say in the war.
    "loose lips sink ships"

I have spent the last six months trying to beat the build up of sh*t round the yard.Finally beat it today, i know it will be all dirtied again the next time they go through the yard but i finally have every last shed and slab powerhosed. felt great getting that last bit done. Now has anyone any recommendations on a really good but reasonably priced disenfectant. Had a case of joint ail and a few with pneumonia this year and hoping not to let it reappear next year.

My apologies, this isn't farming related but....

179985_3449626128021_1535766596_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

I did a caesarean for a client on Monday night on a springer that he bought supposedly in calf to a limousin bull. She had a uterine torsion and a massive blue bull calf. I called today to see how they were keeping. Farmer was telling me that he sold twin bullocks today 445 kg at €1230 at about 17 months. The mother of the twins has been on his farm for eight years and had fourteen calves (13 bulls and 1 heifer) and all made it to sale. Surely some sort of a record

fantastic day here:D

• Advertisement

fantastic day here:D

Yep..
    Rainfall radar looks nice and clear all over..

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Absolute scorcher here. even looks like a day for hay. is this the start of summer or spring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

bbam wrote: »
    Yep..

I'm afraid the radar mustn't be working down here in the south west!!! Miserable fog and drizzle not clearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

KCTK wrote: »
    Yep..

I'm afraid the radar mustn't be working down here in the south west!!! Miserable fog and drizzle not clearing.

Yep, heavy drizzle in Cork... :(:(

Yep, heavy drizzle in Cork... :(:(

Yea,
    In fairness I noticed before that mist/fog seems to slip by it ?

Very frustrating waiting for silage contractor.. Spoke to him yesterday and he was a bit vauge when I said I wanted it knocked+baled before the weekend :( He's never let me down in the past but I really don't want to miss these few good days (good is all relative of course, good for this year)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

Y

Very frustrating waiting for silage contractor.. Spoke to him yesterday and he was a bit vauge when I said I wanted it knocked+baled before the weekend :( He's never let me down in the past but I really don't want to miss these few good days (good is all relative of course, good for this year)

Gota take any opportunity in a year like this, no point waiting and saying the weather might be better next week...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Same as above. I'm looking at knocking it this evening and baling tomorrow. Time of baling will depend on weather which is supposed to hold until Saturday noon (that's how I see it for West Clare anyway). There was fog out at sea this morning but burned off around 9-10am with good sun and some heat now with the wind supposed to pick up over the next 12-24hrs (Fingers crossed:cool:)

Looking at accuweather 25d forecast isn't good so need to take this opporunity despite the ground needing more time to dry.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hopefully (weather permitting) cutting another 10 acres today, sucklers need a few more headlands to clean up:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

pakalasa wrote: »
    This might cheer people up. Forecast for next THURSDAY.

Rtavn2161.png

Hey Paks which Thursday was this for?:pac:

Glad to see it's not only our own Met office that gets it wrong:confused:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

blue5000 wrote: »
    Hey Paks which Thursday was this for?:pac:

Glad to see it's not only our own Met office that gets it wrong:confused:

That was for today. Looks fairly spot on from where I am anyway (Dublin)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

We are still waiting on the heatwave though and this weekend was meant to be a scorcher :rolleyes:

Instead back to mid teens according to the forecaset at 8am.

Damn glad we got the silage in last weekend!!

• Advertisement

see justin mc carthy is leaving the farmers journal....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I wonder will it be like Derek Casey the Machinery Editor?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭tanko

I cant believe where he's going. He wont be too worried about the profit margains of farmers from now on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Suns splitting the stones in Meath now! :D
    Me father has been in East Galway since Tuesday and the weather has gone from torrential rain to serious heat there today! :P Has the 'summer' arrived?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

Now he will have to change his tune from talking up the price of beef to talking down the price of beef. Maybe Larry decided it was better to have him inside the tent pissing out than outside the tent pissing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

tanko wrote: »
    I cant believe where he's going. He wont be too worried about the profit margains of farmers from now on!!

where is he going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭tanko

He's going to work for Larry Goodman.

Lovely day here, got some more of Dads sheep shorn. Might spend the evening pulling thistles :D

the last few days i have been bitten by something while pulling ragworth... it turns out like a hive on my arm.... my mam thought it was mosquito(sp) bites any one else get them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

the last few days i have been bitten by something while pulling ragworth... it turns out like a hive on my arm.... my mam thought it was mosquito(sp) bites any one else get them?

I get bitten loads by them. But in Canada
    they leave a circular red bump that is really itichy
    takes nearly a week to go away
    dont scratch!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement