Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

whelan1 wrote: »
    the last few days i have been bitten by something while pulling ragworth... it turns out like a hive on my arm.... my mam thought it was mosquito(sp) bites any one else get them?

I was going to suggest burnt oil but a good anti histamine from the chemist will help lots if your having a reaction. Herself gets terrible reactions from Mosquitos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

the journal is a great paper, but after reading it for a year most of the articles become a little repetitive. I still put down a half an hour reading it every week:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Silage down and some seriously good drying conditions this evening. Temperature hit 20oC with blue sky and sunshine. Decided at 6.30pm to leave baling till tomorrow, forecasts were clear and view over the Atlantic looked good. Then within about 20min the sky darkened over the Atlantic. It has lightening again before sundown but now praying for a dry night;). Fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

the last few days i have been bitten by something while pulling ragworth... it turns out like a hive on my arm.... my mam thought it was mosquito(sp) bites any one else get them?

Could be horse flies - got a few bites myself while savin hay on my place in the west:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Birdnuts wrote: »
    savin hay on my place in the west:(

How did that go?

Bizzum wrote: »
    How did that go?

Despite bouts of drizzle and less then ideal drying conditions we've mangaged to get most of it done, thanx to some good work from the lad with the haybob. Tommorrow we hope to finish and get all the bales into storage - I'd like have had more drying in the field but Saturday is looking very showery so needs must as they say.

Light passing shower at around 2.30am otherwise a dry night here. I was seriously worried when I looked out the window at 5am as the sky was dark over the Atlantic. Luckily, for me anyway, it seems to have blown off SW - I wonder how Kerry & Cork are this morning? Fingers crossed the forecast is right and it holds off till at least tea-time. We'll be done and dusted by then:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

had a neighbour over yesterday looking to buy a suck calf to put on a heifer, he's a suckler man, has great stock. He has ch heifers calving at the minute 2 sections- dead massive calves- and another calved yesterday with a normal sized dead calf:mad: said he had had them on good silage but they are mud fat and has a good few more to calve yet, sounds like a nightmare

had a neighbour over yesterday looking to buy a suck calf to put on a heifer, he's a suckler man, has great stock. He has ch heifers calving at the minute 2 sections- dead massive calves- and another calved yesterday with a normal sized dead calf:mad: said he had had them on good silage but they are mud fat and has a good few more to calve yet, sounds like a nightmare
    Self inflicted to an extent... is he not pulling back on the feeding close to calving.. May be too late now..

Sometimes I wonder... a lad I work with brought 5 young heifers into his herd, calving down in the spring there... all bulled with stock CH bull and all five had torture calvings with three calves lost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Or when you go to a special in calf heifer sale and lads mad bidding for FAT heifers on the point of calving. You have to learn the hard way I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Dozer1

flip side of it is a very handy angus heifer that calved during the week here, she's only April 11, calved a lovely small CH bull calf with little or no assistance terrified in case more of then that were older than her were incalf aswell, got em scanned and thankfully all empty.

Not a drop of milk but any live calf is better than a dead one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

pakalasa wrote: »
    Or when you go to a special in calf heifer sale and lads mad bidding for FAT heifers on the point of calving. You have to learn the hard way I guess.

Its puzzling isint it!! There was a man not to far from me that sold 50 incalf heifers back around Feburary, you might remember them from donedeal but they were all 3 years and as fat as snails. One of my friends works for a fella that bought 4 of them and he had to do 2 sections out of the 4. There is no sense to that.

Got a call earlier from silage contractor.. In the afternoon providing he has no breaks.. About 80 bales to cut/bale/wrap so I can see a late night on the cards. Praying the weather holds, we've had a few showers earlier but nothing much.. Rang home, 20 miles away, and it's been dry and sunny all morning..
    )

bbam wrote: »
    Got a call earlier from silage contractor.. In the afternoon providing he has no breaks.. About 80 bales to cut/bale/wrap so I can see a late night on the cards. Praying the weather holds, we've had a few showers earlier but nothing much.. Rang home, 20 miles away, and it's been dry and sunny all morning..
    few spits of rain here, fingers crossed for ya:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Had an interview today and spent most of it educating the interviewer on suckler farming, blue cards, ration with protein%, climbing mountains.....
    Luckily not a job I was too interested in when he asked if I had any weaknesses.....
    Yes, says me.....Crisps.:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Yes, says me.....Crisps.:o

Tayto or Hunky Dorys?

johngalway wrote: »
    Tayto or Hunky Dorys?

Cheese & Onion Tayto & Buffalo Hunky Dorys.......I swear.....I'm like a herd being brought in from the field if someone shakes a bag!:eek:

Partial to a bag (or three) of salt and vinnegar hunky dorys myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Cheese & Onion Tayto & Buffalo Hunky Dorys.......I swear.....I'm like a herd being brought in from the field if someone shakes a bag!:eek:
    Partial to a bag (or three) of salt and vinnegar hunky dorys myself!
    jesus guys yee should get together and you never know, leg wax the match maker:D

You should try them with some Dairy milk chocolate as well - I guarantee a serious taste sensation!!:D:cool:

• Advertisement

leg wax wrote: »
    jesus guys yee should get together and you never know, leg wax the match maker:D

You'll be expanding the personals section in the Journal when you're called up then? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Birdnuts wrote: »

You should try them with some Dairy milk chocolate as well - I guarantee a serious taste sensation!!:D:cool:
    Chips dipped in a chocolate fountain are lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Tayto or Hunky Dorys?

Which one of the dolly birds in the Hunk Dory add campaign is yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

just out of curiousity lads, ive always wondered about these tractors http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/3685153

not necessarily massey ferguson but case and john deere equivalent, would they do the same jobs that my mf 265 would, because it looks more comfortable reliable and a better choice, but looks lighter and doubt it would lift a bale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

DaNiEl1994 wrote: »
    just out of curiousity lads, ive always wondered about these tractors http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/3685153

not necessarily massey ferguson but case and john deere equivalent, would they do the same jobs that my mf 265 would, because it looks more comfortable reliable and a better choice, but looks lighter and doubt it would lift a bale

Its too cheap. Be weary of a scam. Here's a proper price of one on another site:

http://www.agriaffaires.co.uk/used/farm-tractor/2313767/massey-ferguson-3645-std.html

At that HP, it should be well able for a bale. It won't go too far on those grass tyres in this weather though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

reilig wrote: »
    Its too cheap. Be weary of a scam. Here's a proper price of one on another site:

http://www.agriaffaires.co.uk/used/farm-tractor/2313767/massey-ferguson-3645-std.html

At that HP, it should be well able for a bale. It won't go too far on those grass tyres in this weather though!!

i thought it was too cheap but they're just so rare i was unaware of their value

i know HP would be plenty but those lift arms and lift look awful light for heavy bales

a neighbour - good friend- sheep farmer, came to me yesterday, he was mowing a field, just the headlands with the intentions of doing the rest for hay. He wanted to know if i wanted the wraps he was doing off the headlands.... now fodder could be very scarce so i nearly bit his hand off... said i would pay the contractor for mowing, baling and wrapping... what should i give him for the grass got approx 40 bales and he even drew them in for me while i was milking:confused:

a neighbour - good friend- sheep farmer, came to me yesterday, he was mowing a field, just the headlands with the intentions of doing the rest for hay. He wanted to know if i wanted the wraps he was doing off the headlands.... now fodder could be very scarce so i nearly bit his hand off... said i would pay the contractor for mowing, baling and wrapping... what should i give him for the grass got approx 40 bales and he even drew them in for me while i was milking:confused:

€4 a bale to cover his fertiliser!

this got no fertiliser, am happy out as i pass the field 10 times a day and theres no ragworth etc in it..... he's unreal last year he gave me 20 round bales of hay and wouldnt take any money for it! but the truth is he wouldnt use the fodder himself as he used to have beef cattle but has none now as they are too dear , has acres of ground with nothing on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

this got no fertiliser, am happy out as i pass the field 10 times a day and theres no ragworth etc in it..... he's unreal last year he gave me 20 round bales of hay and wouldnt take any money for it! but the truth is he wouldnt use the fodder himself as he used to have beef cattle but has none now as they are too dear , has acres of ground with nothing on it

I would have thought 4 very little, ESP this year? I got 5 for bales before, and it was old grass.
    It is hard to put a price on tho...

• Advertisement

I'm the one on the left:D

Also.....also always loved milkshake with chips from mc d's.
    Maybe I'm odd.....

Also.....also always loved milkshake with chips from mc d's.
    Maybe I'm odd.....
    mc donalds milkshake....my total craving when pregnant.... lovely with pickles:D

€200. A nice even sum. Hard to put a true value on some things and I'd guess he's the type who is more concerned about it being used and going to a good home rather than the money.

I see later you say he's not carrying stock. Maybe you could offer to spread slurry instead? He might place more value in this than a few bob of cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

I thought you didn't take advice or opinion from the net?:D

last year he got slurry off me and gave us 2 pet lambs.... didnt get slurry this year..... seriously understocked...was thinking of getting hima voucher for local restaurant and giving him some cash:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

last year he got slurry off me and gave us 2 pet lambs.... didnt get slurry this year..... seriously understocked...was thinking of getting hima voucher for local restaurant and giving him some cash:confused:
    Cant beat the voucher or if he is not into eating out maybe fill a few cans of diesel and drop them over to him .

Yearra, if he is that under stocked, I'd knock a gap and let over about 80 cows for about ten days. Sure you would be doing him a favour. He gets the slurry into the bargain.

Whelan1
    I'm just thinking of the compare and contrast between this neighbour of yours and the other one a few days back :rolleyes:. It's a funny old world :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

just do it wrote: »
    Whelan1
    I'm just thinking of the compare and contrast between this neighbour of yours and the other one a few days back :rolleyes:. It's a funny old world :D
    One is a man the other was a WOMAN :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

he looks fuc1ked

wrong thread

I thought you didn't take advice or opinion from the net?:D
    i dont take vetenary/medical advice from the internet- this is a totally different situation

just do it wrote: »
    Whelan1
    differnce is this guy has lived here all his life she is a blow in

)

Contractor arrived at half seven yesterday evening. We'd had no rain to speak off so all was well. Fields were a little tramped but didn't cut up at all so were very happy with that. Got them all drawn in last night but i didn't get done until half two. Rain here all morning so glad to have it in the yard. ;)

)

Contractor arrived at half seven yesterday evening. We'd had no rain to speak off so all was well. Fields were a little tramped but didn't cut up at all so were very happy with that. Got them all drawn in last night but i didn't get done until half two. Rain here all morning so glad to have it in the yard. ;)
    Well done bbam, you can relax today!

• Advertisement

Just down from the hill, was looking for 11, got 3. The less sheep, the harder to bring. Was dodging showers, there's a few about today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Sad news from home this week, a neighbour was killed when he fell down between bales while trying to get a calf out of the bales

milkman comes here every other day around 4am- suits us fine as theres no kids in the yard:rolleyes:- this morning he blew his horn:eek: i got up assuming there was something wrong, no he just hit off the horn:rolleyes: but theres nothing better than going back to bed knowing you still can have a few more hours kip- before ye start with the smart comments i sleep with the youngest child who sleep walks:o

milkman comes here every other day around 4am- suits us fine as theres no kids in the yard:rolleyes:- this morning he blew his horn:eek: i got up assuming there was something wrong, no he just hit off the horn:rolleyes: but theres nothing better than going back to bed knowing you still can have a few more hours kip- before ye start with the smart comments i sleep with the youngest child who sleep walks:o

I both sleep walk/talk. Countless times I've been yapping away about whose cattle were whose.And sleepwalk in strange houses. Not fun at all when you wake up!

I both sleep walk/talk. Countless times I've been yapping away about whose cattle were whose.And sleepwalk in strange houses. Not fun at all when you wake up!
    was very very sick when i was around 12 years of age -mumps and scarlet fever together- had hallucinations and everything anyway my main concern was that calf 110 had its scour tablet :cool: doctor really thought i was gone mad... my youngest who is 4 could go anywhere during he night so i just sleep in with him so i know where he is

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement