Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

red menace wrote: »
    Sad news from home this week, a neighbour was killed when he fell down between bales while trying to get a calf out of the bales

I read that in the paper yesterday. Suspected the unfortunate man suffered a heart attack or some such, trying to remove a calf trapped between bales.

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Not fun at all when you wake up!

Depends entirely on WHERE you wake up;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

whelan1 wrote: »
    was very very sick when i was around 12 years of age -mumps and scarlet fever together- had hallucinations and everything anyway my main concern was that calf 110 had its scour tablet :cool: doctor really thought i was gone mad... my youngest who is 4 could go anywhere during he night so i just sleep in with him so i know where he is

The way I normally sleep, a bomb could pass over me and I'd grunt.
    If I know a cow is near sick of calving, a mouse would wake me. Anyone else like that? Probably the worst was waking up in the hayshed after feeding a calf......the walk home seemed a bit much to my asleep mind I guess.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    The way I normally sleep, a bomb could pass over me and I'd grunt.
    If I know a cow is near sick of calving, a mouse would wake me. Anyone else like that? Probably the worst was waking up in the hayshed after feeding a calf......the walk home seemed a bit much to my asleep mind I guess.:o
    hang on john a sec, she now grunts,maybe we will let alone for a other day.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

This year has been great for finding springs in the boggy ground... walking the land this evening and could fell the land floating under me....stuck a shovel in the ground and there it was!

Out with the digger and opened and drain..will take a while to get the ground dried out enough to travel.

Bizzum wrote: »
    Depends entirely on WHERE you wake up;)

Woke up asleep in my wardrobe once, the other odd place would be when watching a cow sick to calve at 2am, go to sit in the hay, BAM, fall asleep. Wake up wondering where the fook I was.
    leg wax wrote: »
    hang on john a sec, she now grunts,maybe we will let alone for a other day.:D

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

I was working away from home a few years back and sharing a hotel room with another lad. he woke up to find me disconnecting the cistern of the toilet in my sleep. At that stage i had moved a heap of furniture aswell.

On another occasion in Aus the lad sharing the room woke up with me peeing on his head.

Needless to say he moved rooms that day.
    i meant to say both while sleepwalking (not just randomly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Sold one of my bulls today. Well did the deal anyway and have the deposit. Have to keep him for 4 weeks, test him and ring him for the buyer. No halter training or washing. He's only 11 months wohoo!

reilig wrote: »
    Sold one of my bulls today. Well did the deal anyway and have the deposit. Have to keep him for 4 weeks, test him and ring him for the buyer. No halter training or washing. He's only 11 months wohoo!

Was that the nice shapey bull you had up in the photo thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

got my dry cows back out today! hopefully out for good now, put spot on and tar on them on the way out

• Advertisement

Majority of cattle back in the shed here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Four hours in the hill looking for 7, found four. By the time I found them I hadn't time to bring them in, but at least know where abouts they are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/3086165

Saw this and it got me thinking, there must still be plenty of sucks at the marts down south where these guys are buying..

We sold some stock recently and if sucks were good value I'd buy some in..

Anyone any suggestions of marts where they are being bought? I'd rather go to the mar myself and cut out the middleman if possible :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

bbam wrote: »

Saw this and it got me thinking, there must still be plenty of sucks at the marts down south where these guys are buying..

Anyone any suggestions of marts where they are being bought? I'd rather go to the mar myself and cut out the middleman if possible :)

I notice all prices quoted are preceded by the word "from" need to see the stock what you are getting

the calves shown look fresh and unlike if they have been through a mart, could be farmer sourced

Kilmallock, Ennis and Bandon would be of the big calf sales in the spring don't know waht kind of numbers @ this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

doubt you will pick up calves much cheaper than those boys. look well looked after and over allot of their troubles. I would be buying on the understanding they are free of BVD, something that doesn't come at a mart. Its funny I buy a few products through middle men and if I dealt direct I would be paying more. There buying such bulk they are able to sell cheaper than me buying my small quantity. Same with grain, I can buy it cheaper of a merchant than of a farmer

fooking pricks robbed my elderly neighbours this evening............. really pissed off, in broad daylight .... the old man has a heart condition and she is unwell.... neighbour on the other side has cctv so looking through that now.... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

not a farming topic but a bit of a warning- was in doctors with 1 of the kids yesterday, had a long wait, waiting room was full.... there where 2 old dears having a good gossip, couldnt not listen in... anyway they where talking about an elderly man who had just gone in to the doc... they said out loud, where he lives, that he lives on his own , that he goes to the graveyard everynight from half 7 to half 8..... :eek: now unbeknown to them the was 1 of the local scumbags in the waiting room.... so this guy had gotten a bag full of info from just listening to these 2 old ones.... then they wonder why their house is robbed

Any connection? Hope your neighbour is ok and these bastards are caught...

Any connection? Hope your neighbour is ok and these bastards are caught...
    no ,no connection .... they have a partial reg of the car... the old lady had a box in her wardrobe they took that, bloody dog that goes mental everytime i visit them, never even whimpered:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

Hi bbam there was 360 calves n bandon today.they were a good trade there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

How about calling a few of your local dairy farmers? You'd know the ones you'd like to buy off and it could become an ongoing thing.

just do it wrote: »
    How about calling a few of your local dairy farmers? You'd know the ones you'd like to buy off and it could become an ongoing thing.

Yes.
    Nothing with either of the dairy men I'd deal with.

fooking pricks robbed my elderly neighbours this evening............. really pissed off, in broad daylight .... the old man has a heart condition and she is unwell.... neighbour on the other side has cctv so looking through that now.... :mad:

It's just not on.
    These scumbags are just sub human.

It's just impossible to understand how they get into the frame of mind where they can justify this carry on in their heads, it just shows how far removed from society they are and that they should be locked away from ordinary decent folk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Suckler

It's just not on.

It's just impossible to understand how they get into the frame of mind where they can justify this carry on in their heads, it just shows how far removed from society they are and that they should be locked away from ordinary decent folk.

At the moment we are trying to upgrade the farm, it's still in the 60-70's spec + little to no storage. But slowly we are improving things and converting sheds etc.
    I am fed up with having to hide EVERYTHING for fear someone would come in an lift it. I would love to have a tidy properly laid out shed but every new tool or implement has to be hidden under plastic or behind timber or behind bales etc. I leave an old jeep blocking gates when I can.

Due to work (or lack of!) I spend most of my time overseas. When I get back I've forgotten where I've hidden half things!

These animals know full well that IF ) and a very big IF at that) they are caught they'll do little to no time and be off out again. And they can also call on a certain ethnic support group to back their "traditions" and "rights". Cry poor me when it suits them.

It's just not on.

these people spent their whole time living in fear of this happening... they have big iron bars over their windows so someone cant break in etc, daughter lives next door to them.... they where gardening when the robbery occured... just very lucky they wheren't hurt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

these people spent their whole time living in fear of this happening... they have big iron bars over their windows so someone cant break in etc, daughter lives next door to them.... they where gardening when the robbery occured... just very lucky they wheren't hurt

unfortunately this is the way of life at present, we are presently building a little bungalow for when we move out of here, but when and if the time comes we would have not hesitation moving into something like Embury Close (Adare) or the Sue Ryder sheltered housing (nenagh)

I have friends/relations in both but unfortunately both are a bit far away from here,

hope your neighbours get over the ordeal and maybe it's not for you to interfere but maybe have a quite word with the daughter, re alarms, panic button, cctv,monitoring etc, a good range available now days and not too expensive.

• Advertisement

snowman707 wrote: »
    unfortunately this is the way of life at present, we are presently building a little bungalow for when we move out of here, but when and if the time comes we would have not hesitation moving into something like Embury Close (Adare) or the Sue Ryder sheltered housing (nenagh)

I have friends/relations in both but unfortunately both are a bit far away from here,

hope your neighbours get over the ordeal and maybe it's not for you to interfere but maybe have a quite word with the daughter, re alarms, panic button, cctv,monitoring etc, a good range available now days and not too expensive.
    they have panic buttons .... just the way they where out in the garden and the thief/ thieves where very oppurtunistic... theytook her handbag- alot of sentimental stuff in it, this was in a press- and a box from a wardrobe in the bedroom.... my parent house is like fort knox... alarms etcall over the place.. we just have to be more vigilant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Question on calves.....

(round figures for discussion purposes)

lets say a holstein freiesan/angus cross bull calf is worth 300 at 8 weeks of age....

what's he worth at one day old?

given the mortality risks, effort of training onto a bucket, and then the costs and labour actually rearing that calf what's a fair price to buyer and seller in an arrangement to buy all calves off a dairy farmer at one day old?

(small dairy farmer, working on her own and she is considering in the next few years to start buying in replacements instead of dealing with rearing calves)

Just something we're pondering for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Question on calves.....

lets say a holstein freiesan/angus cross bull calf is worth 300 at 8 weeks of age....

given the mortality risks, effort of training onto a bucket, and then the costs and labour actually rearing that calf what's a fair price to buyer and seller in an arrangement to buy all calves off a dairy farmer at one day old?

(small dairy farmer, working on her own and she is considering in the next few years to start buying in replacements instead of dealing with rearing calves)

Weii you wont be able to get them at a day old firstly, john boy. With BVD testing and registration and waiting for cards, you are looking at week old at the earliest. And mortality in the first 2 weeks is the highest as well

even if registered online, is it not possible to sell a day old calf?

I'd be looking to factor in the mortality/bvd risk into the price. the whole point is to save the dairy farmer the work in that two weeks.

by the time the dairy farmer has them for two weeks they've the hardest work done so dont benefit nearly as much from selling at that age versus rearing them for longer.

Question on calves.....

Moving a calf off a farm on Day 1 is madness. You'll end up with a huge mortality rate. Calf needs to get colustrum, farmer needs to milk the colustrum from his cows for a number of days before "proper" milk starts to come and he can add it to the milk tank.

On a side note, my brother in law sold a lot of his calves this year. Most were Freisan x Angus. He got prices, from the farm gate of between €300 and €400 each at 3 to 4 weeks.

Last saturday, he sold bullocks because he is very short on grass. These were 24 to 28 month old bullocks. Full brothers of the calves sold above. He has kept them for 2 winters, fed a bit of meal etc.

He sold 20, and they averaged €840.

I think the seller of he suck calf is the winner these days - prices would need to rise an awful lot for the second and thirs owners to turn a profit.

• Advertisement

good point on the colustrum, but how would it currently work? the colustrum is milked into a bucket in the parlour and then taken to the calf house.

The colustrum could still be milked into a bucket and that bucket taken to the calf house on our farm, it'd be less than a mile away.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cloudroost

Reilig,
    I know prices are down, but that seems very low for 2 yr+ cattle. What weight were they?
    I'll have some angus to sell myself in a couple of months (~ 18months, should be 450->500 KGs by then) and I'd be expecting more than that....

cloudroost wrote: »
    Reilig,
    I know prices are down, but that seems very low for 2 yr+ cattle. What weight were they?
    I'll have some angus to sell myself in a couple of months (~ 18months, should be 450->500 KGs by then) and I'd be expecting more than that....

They were off an angus bull and Freisan cows and were between 400 and 460kg. Not fattened very well, but they had ate a lot of stuff. A lot of bone and not a lot of muscle.

Question on calves.....

only asking for trouble selling/buying at 1 day old imo... 10 days would be the earliest around here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Great day here, we badly needed a shot of rain................................

.......................................... :rolleyes:

only asking for trouble selling/buying at 1 day old imo... 10 days would be the earliest around here

Buying day Old calves would be madness. I would also question the practice on animal welfare grounds since it would have such a high mortality rate, it would be depressing!
    Three/four weeks works well, the buyer is getting an animal that has past the worst times and the seller is getting a bit more revenue.

Buying day Old calves would be madness. I would also question the practice on animal welfare grounds since it would have such a high mortality rate, it would be depressing!
    Three/four weeks works well, the buyer is getting an animal that has past the worst times and the seller is getting a bit more revenue.

I'm trying to figure out if the whole thing could be a runner.

1) can the mortality issues be managed?
    ie is it that big a deal to move a calf less than a mile by trailer at one day old? hardly much different to calving outdoors and picking the calves up with a quad/trailer.

if the colustrum can be similarly transported then what additional issues exist that dont equally exist on the dairy farm? is it all down to the stress of the transport?

There would be no other calves on the farm so the bought in calves would be going into sheds with their fellow calves from the same herd, no different to what they would do on the dairy farm.

2) are their regulatory issues with selling calves that quickly?

3) how much cheaper should the day old calf be than an 8 week old one to cover the costs, the labour and the risk factors.

In the normal run of events, three-four weeks does work well, but the seller is a woman in her fifties, farming alone, looking to simplify her operation, step one will be to sell all calves and buy in replacements. What I'm exploring is could there be a second step to sell those calves at a day old, and hence eliminate the considerable amount of work involved with them.

If anyone here uses National Irish Banking Online, I'd advise you to check your accounts pronto.
    They got hacked and a lot of money has been taken from accounts.
    My parents & two uncles all had nearly €1000 taken from them. :mad:

ok, so calf is born .... you register it on line... you can not get movement permit til it is registered.... you have to wait for bvd results- normally 3-5 days .... so realistically or by the rules you cannot move the calf til its around 5-7 days old....

I'm trying to figure out if the whole thing could be a runner.

1) can the mortality issues be managed?
    ie is it that big a deal to move a calf less than a mile by trailer at one day old? hardly much different to calving outdoors and picking the calves up with a quad/trailer.

if the colustrum can be similarly transported then what additional issues exist that dont equally exist on the dairy farm? is it all down to the stress of the transport?

There would be no other calves on the farm so the bought in calves would be going into sheds with their fellow calves from the same herd, no different to what they would do on the dairy farm.

2) are their regulatory issues with selling calves that quickly?

3) how much cheaper should the day old calf be than an 8 week old one to cover the costs, the labour and the risk factors.

In the normal run of events, three-four weeks does work well, but the seller is a woman in her fifties, farming alone, looking to simplify her operation, step one will be to sell all calves and buy in replacements. What I'm exploring is could there be a second step to sell those calves at a day old, and hence eliminate the considerable amount of work involved with them.

How about the new compulsory BVD testing from Jan-1 ?
    I'm not well read in the fine point but I'd be asking if they can be moved before the BVD result is back, AFAIK this will take two weeks.

• Advertisement

How about the new compulsory BVD testing from Jan-1 ?
    I'm not well read in the fine point but I'd be asking if they can be moved before the BVD result is back, AFAIK this will take two weeks.
    normally 3-5 days but calf has to be registered first... i get them tested with enfer.... op could this woman not leave the calves on the cows for 10 days and then sell?

So you cant get a movement permit without the BVD test being back....

well if that is the case it'd be that idea scuppered so.

You'll have to forgive my constant questioning, but I always like to undstand why something cant/wont work, as opposed to just accepting that it cant/wont work, you learn nothing that way.

Theoretically we could "buy" the calves, but leave them on her farm for a few weeks and rear them initially in her sheds, twould solve her wish to get rid of the work, but would have the potential to get messey and as soon as you start to bring calves home then all of a sudden you're working on two seperate farms.

oh well, on to the next plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

even if registered online, is it not possible to sell a day old calf?

I'd be looking to factor in the mortality/bvd risk into the price. the whole point is to save the dairy farmer the work in that two weeks.

by the time the dairy farmer has them for two weeks they've the hardest work done so dont benefit nearly as much from selling at that age versus rearing them for longer.
    No. You still need the passport and a movement permit to actually change hands and those are only available from about 5 days at the very earliest.

could this woman not leave the calves on the cows for 10 days and then sell?

interesting idea. how much milk income would you forefit in the first ten days?

would surely be the best start for the calves too.

So you cant get a movement permit without the BVD test being back....

well if that is the case it'd be that idea scuppered so.

You'll have to forgive my constant questioning, but I always like to undstand why something cant/wont work, as opposed to just accepting that it cant/wont work, you learn nothing that way.

Theoretically we could "buy" the calves, but leave them on her farm for a few weeks and rear them initially in her sheds, twould solve her wish to get rid of the work, but would have the potential to get messey and as soon as you start to bring calves home then all of a sudden you're working on two seperate farms.

oh well, on to the next plan.

How about contract rearing them for her on her facilities?
    Again you wouldn't be able to move them as day olds due to paperwork but you could use her facilities if she has some.

Or

Ye could lease the whole thing?

interesting idea. how much milk income would you forefit in the first ten days?

would surely be the best start for the calves too.
    i leave my calves on cow for 10 days... this is following years of hardship with every disease going... gives calves a great head start... mycows are vaccinated and calves have to get biestings for a week anyways... cows milk has to be kept for 5 days after calving anyways wiith antibiotic withdrawal.... i am happy to forfeit the milk productuion for a few days for the sake of a healthy calf

What I'm exploring is could there be a second step to sell those calves at a day old, and hence eliminate the considerable amount of work involved with them.
    You mention she's only 1 mile away. You could agree a price/ arrangement for the first few weeks. Keep them at her place and you do the work. She supplies the milk and take them away in groups at 3/4wo. There's an extra benefit in that they will already be used to you and therefore the stress associated with the move will be reduced.

How about contract rearing them for her on her facilities?
    Again you wouldn't be able to move them as day olds due to paperwork but you could use her facilities if she has some.

Or

Ye could lease the whole thing?

I think any sort of contract rearing would give rise to too much potential hassle to be honest, the cleaner the break the better.

couldnt lease off her, she's leasing off us, we're only starting out.

i leave my calves on cow for 10 days... this is following years of hardship with every disease going... gives calves a great head start... mycows are vaccinated and calves have to get biestings for a week anyways... cows milk has to be kept for 5 days after calving anyways wiith antibiotic withdrawal.... i am happy to forfeit the milk productuion for a few days for the sake of a healthy calf

would that be the norm in the dairy sector? I thought calves were normally seperated from the cows after the first feeding.

just do it wrote: »
    You mention she's only 1 mile away. You could agree a price/ arrangement for the first few weeks. Keep them at her place and you do the work. She supplies the milk and take them away in groups at 3/4wo. There's an extra benefit in that they will already be used to you and therefore the stress associated with the move will be reduced.

you could do that alright, but it's potentially a lot more messy than a straightforward buy and take away arrangement.

I like ms whelan's idea the best.

Somthing to ruminate over...

• Advertisement

It's an interesting one JohnBoy so keep asking! How about teasing it out with her a bit more. What specific jobs does she and doesn't she like? Maybe if it's the feeding and cleaning out ye could come to an arrangement on that e.g. you get so many calves at 4-6 weeks old for work done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement