Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Battle of the Bands - Why are threads being removed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

LoLth wrote:
    I'm not familiar with the NBoTB but I dont think it was an official boards.ie sponsored/arranged event nor do I think Miju was organising it in his official capacity as a boards.ie mod
    It's all documented in this post. Miju advertised a competition with an entry fee for which he was part of the judging panel and freely admits he is good friends with the organisers. For whatever reason the competition never happened and, Miju being a visible member of Boards.ie was naturally chased up for feedback by disgruntled users.
    LoLth wrote:
    To be honest though, if this wasnt a boards.ie event, then I'm sort of not seeing the relevance of it to boards.ie feedback.
    Not trying to be smart but where would you suggest the affected users go for feedback then? Contacting miju by PM won't work and all Pappa Dolla or I can do is say "talk to miju".

We can't avoid the simple fact that Miju's tacit endorsement of the event and subsequent silence reflects badly on Boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Malice wrote: »
    It's all documented in this post. Miju advertised a competition with an entry fee for which he was part of the judging panel and freely admits he is good friends with the organisers. For whatever reason the competition never happened and, Miju being a visible member of Boards.ie was naturally chased up for feedback by disgruntled users.

Not trying to be smart but where would you suggest the affected users go for feedback then? Contacting miju by PM won't work and all Pappa Dolla or I can do is say "talk to miju".

We can't avoid the simple fact that Miju's tacit endorsement of the event and subsequent silence reflects badly on Boards.ie.

I would see it as any event organised and promoted by a boards.ie member. If TV3 (for example) arrange a rep account and advertise a competition that doesnt happen, then I honestly fail to see how boards.ie is responsible and I fail to see how discusison of the failure is feedback on boards.ie .

If a user gets permission from a mod to post a notice about a gallery showing with a cover charge and it turns out to be crap, is this boards.ie's fault or responsibility?

Yes, in this case, the boards.ie member promoting the event is a mod so yes, it does impact boards as we consider the mods to be one of faces of boards that interact with the public/users. thats the only reason I can see for having the feedback thread here, however, if it turns into a legal discussion or gets too heated then the benefit to the community by having this thread here will be lost and we risk dragging boards further into it, especially if accusations are made which could lead to legal action.

Where else would it go? where else would any discussion go about an event that resulted in a dispute between the organisers and the patrons/participants?

I understand your position and your frustration but I hope you can understand the need to keep a clear seperation when the issue of boards.ie's responsibity and involvement is concerned, I would be of the opinion that making boards the central clearing house for complaints and interaction with the organisers could unwittingly tie boards to an event we had no control over. Especially if it turns nasty/uncivil/litigious. So, fair enough, use this thread for contact but keep it civil please.

edit just to add as it may make my view a little clearer:
    Miju is a mod on boards.ie , thats who you contact involving issues with moderation or posts in the music forum. Damien Gill - Music News.ie - A+R Co-Ordinator is possibly who you should be contacting wrt the NBoTB competition that wasnt. All mods/cmods and admins have a private life that is distinct and seperate from boards.ie. Even Cloud and Devore and I cant think of any boards.ie personalities whose persoanl life could be more intertwined with the community here. I think the difference is worth keeping in mind when discussing the issue on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

LoLth wrote: »
    I would see it as any event organised and promoted by a boards.ie member. If TV3 (for example) arrange a rep account and advertise a competition that doesnt happen, then I honestly fail to see how boards.ie is responsible and I fail to see how discusison of the failure is feedback on boards.ie.
    That's not a valid comparison. Miju himself has championed his "building up of a community" on the Bands & Musicians forum, is a moderator of that forum and has been a member of the Boards community for nearly eleven years. He's not just an anonymous company rep.
    LoLth wrote:
    If a user gets permission from a mod to post a notice about a gallery showing with a cover charge and it turns out to be crap, is this boards.ie's fault or responsibility?
    That's also not a valid comparison. An exhibition in a gallery being regarded as crap is subjective. An event simply not taking place on the other hand is objective.
    LoLth wrote:
    Where else would it go? where else would any discussion go about an event that resulted in a dispute between the organisers and the patrons/participants?
    I presume it would just end up in court :)
    LoLth wrote:
    making boards the central clearing house for complaints and interaction with the organisers could unwittingly tie boards to an event we had no control over. Especially if it turns nasty/uncivil/litigious. So, fair enough, use this thread for contact but keep it civil please.
    Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

miju wrote: »
    I'm working until Tuesday at Oxygen lads and I'll reply when I'm back next Wednesday. But I will say this bands were contacted at least a month ago via their email as to the current status.

Well, Wednesday's come and gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

I guess that's the end of it.

Some cowardly and shameful **** right there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I guess that's the end of it.

Some cowardly and shameful **** right there.

Not like he hasn't been posting........

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK folks, I'm afraid I'm going to have to close this thread because it's really not going anywhere. miju was posting in a personal, rather than a mod capacity when he promoted this competition, and as such it really has nothing to do with Boards. Incidentally I should also point out that he has since stepped down as mod of the Bands & Musicians forum.

While I have every sympathy for all those who have been let down by this incident, and I do believe that you are all owed a better explanation than you have received to date, we can't compel anyone to post on a thread. miju has his reasons for staying silent on the matter and it's beyond our powers to change this. All I can suggest is that you contact him or any other promoters you've had contact with directly, and perhaps you might get some answers that way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement