Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 250gb Slim Lagging and freezing badly lately

• 12-02-2011 9:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭

Hey, my xbox 360 250gb slim, which I bought new about a month ago is starting to lag and freeze a lot lately for some unknown reason. Examples are, when starting the xbox it takes far longer than it used to to load up the dashboard and connect to xbox live. It also freezes when im connected to xbox live and search my friends list and load a friends gamertag, it freezes for about 10 seconds.
    Also, I cleared the cache, which did nothing, but now when I load a game and it looks to get the update, it takes a long time to show the guide window to accept the update, and when I do accept it, it wont download the update, the green bar just stays at the start and doesn't move up. Any ideas whats wrong? Could it be the hard drive also?
    Can I return this to gamestop, where I bought it, and get another one or whats the story about that? Thanks.

EDIT: It seems to be running fine when not connected to xbox live and with the hard drive is removed so it must be something to do with live or my internet connection. Im using wireless also. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Tinie wrote: »
    Hey, my xbox 360 250gb slim, which I bought new about a month ago is starting to lag and freeze a lot lately for some unknown reason. Examples are, when starting the xbox it takes far longer than it used to to load up the dashboard and connect to xbox live. It also freezes when im connected to xbox live and search my friends list and load a friends gamertag, it freezes for about 10 seconds.
    Also, I cleared the cache, which did nothing, but now when I load a game and it looks to get the update, it takes a long time to show the guide window to accept the update, and when I do accept it, it wont download the update, the green bar just stays at the start and doesn't move up. Any ideas whats wrong? Could it be the hard drive also?
    Can I return this to gamestop, where I bought it, and get another one or whats the story about that? Thanks.

EDIT: It seems to be running fine when not connected to xbox live and with the hard drive is removed so it must be something to do with live or my internet connection. Im using wireless also. Any ideas?

If it's working fine with the hard drive disconnected then I'd imagine it's something to do with the hard drive no? Can you borrow one from someone else maybe to rule this out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

It seems to run like normal also with the hard drive connected but not connected to Xbox live though :confused:

Really confusing as to what is wrong with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Sorry I thought you meant it would connect without the hard drive. It seems like a strange problem alright, I'd imagine that a replacement is in order. It's in warranty anyway but there is a chance GameStop will send it to MS rather than replace in store. You'll get a live sub for your troubles though and there wouldn't be too long a wait hopefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I have similar issues with mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Batmantastic

You can try deleting and re-downloading the update: Go to your Memory in System Settings, highlight the hard drive but don't click into it, then press LB, RB, X, LB, RB, X.

It'll confirm that you want to remove the update and when you connect to live again it'll re-download. Should hopefully sort it out for ya.

• Advertisement

That didnt seem to fix it :( Still lagging and freezing on the friends list and when loading up games/the xbox. Will I give gamestop a ring about it?

Did you find any fix for it healium?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Batmantastic

Gamestop won't have a clue about it tbh. It might be something in your router settings causing the lag, if there's no lag/freezing when you're playing offline then I doubt it's the console. Maybe try one of your mates consoles on your connection? See if the same thing happens?

Im not sure if id be able to get a friend to bring over their xbox, but ill try later with ethernet and if that works like normal then its something to do with either the wireless adapter inside the xbox or my wireless modem.

Advertisement