Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you eat when you're sick?

Options
  • 12-02-2011 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

I got through the entire winter without even a whiff of catching anything that wasn't self-imposed, but then I woke up this morning stiff, achy, with a headache, a sprinting nose and sore throat.

What do you eat when you're sick or poorly or under the weather? I've managed toast with a sliced banana today and buckets of mint tea and water, but I'm getting hungry again. There's a chicken risotto in the fridge that I got from a restaurant in town because it's just stodgy and salty enough to comfort if I have a small portion.

'Course, it doesn't help when you can't taste anything past the blocked nose and Lemsips!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

I got through the entire winter without even a whiff of catching anything that wasn't self-imposed, but then I woke up this morning stiff, achy, with a headache, a sprinting nose and sore throat.

What do you eat when you're sick or poorly or under the weather? I've managed toast with a sliced banana today and buckets of mint tea and water, but I'm getting hungry again. There's a chicken risotto in the fridge that I got from a restaurant in town because it's just stodgy and salty enough to comfort if I have a small portion.

'Course, it doesn't help when you can't taste anything past the blocked nose and Lemsips!
    Easy answer CHICKEN SOUP !!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

You know, both myself and the other half have tried making chicken and chicken noodle soup from scratch before but it never quite worked....I always found them bland and not nearly salty enough...I have this image in my head of a golden chicken soup intensely flavoured that I never quite managed to achieve. The chicken noodle soup from the Chinese is about the closest I could find!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Several home made scones apparently :o

I had swine flu at the end of December though. Bed ridden for a solid week and all I could manage on my best day was a handful of jelly babies. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

lots of fruit and yogurts they keep up energy levels and help your immune system and plenty of fluids

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Stay away from sugar!

It reduces the immune system big time. So no flat 7up etc

ligertigon wrote: »
    Stay away from sugar!

serious? I was always given marietta biscuits and flat 7up..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Stay away from sugar!

Any proof?.. Sugary drinks are a convenient source of energy when people are too sick to stomach solid food.

Any proof?.. Sugary drinks are a convenient source of energy when people are too sick to stomach solid food.

+1 That's what I assumed. Lucozade was specifically designed for sick people when it was first made. That's loaded with sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

I wrap up well, turn the heating up to max, and eat soups, throwing in obscene amounts of hungarian hot paprika to induce sweating and for the vitamin c. Drink hot teas with honey. Also, phall curry seemed to help the one time I tried it, but it's a bit extreme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭epiphone

Tea & Toast .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

It's been observed that sugar weakens the immune system by making white blood cells less effective. There's a few theories on how this happens, but the only thing I can remember right now is that it competes with the absorption of vitamin C. I'm no doctor though so I wouldn't really know.

When I'm sick I eat oatmeal soup. I basically fry some chopped onion until translucent, add some vegetable stock to the pan with some rolled oats and milk and cook for a few minutes. Sometimes I blitz it afterwards, but I generally don't bother. I might add cheese to it or other things as well.

It makes me feel so much better ^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

For food - toast with peanut butter, curry, chocolate digestive biscuits

For drink - tea, tea, more tea, sometimes a hot whiskey with lemon and honey (better than any lemsip!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Something filling like lasagne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

Stay away from sugar!

Whats drugs are you smoking ?? Who told you this B**L S**t

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Soup is your only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Strong tea & ginger nut biscuits.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Strong tea & ginger nut biscuits.

Ginger nut biscuits fix everything.. We should cram some into a canon and blast it at the o-zone layer. Sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

It's amazing how much crap you'll eat when you're feeling like it. More toast and bananas, homemade quiche, turkey sandwich and about a million dark chocolate digestives. And all that after I spent the last 3 days sleeping.
    Think tomorrow I'll go mad and have a viciously hot curry to try and chase it away before I go back to work. Cheers for your suggestions too =)

It's amazing how much crap you'll eat when you're feeling like it. More toast and bananas, homemade quiche, turkey sandwich and about a million dark chocolate digestives. And all that after I spent the last 3 days sleeping.
    Think tomorrow I'll go mad and have a viciously hot curry to try and chase it away before I go back to work. Cheers for your suggestions too =)

ah the curry will work a dream, melt the sickness out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭brianthelion

Lornen wrote: »
    ah the curry will work a dream, melt the sickness out!

when I get sick I eat everything,I cannot get enough food into me.My wife do,s be amazed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

Depends on what your sick with?

But if its general your feeling really **** with the flu etc

Drinks - Tea :D

Food- Homemade soup, Irish stew, Chicken soup anything with a broth really :D

or home cooked food always does the trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Sick stomach tea and toast, or liga (the baby food :o ) very light on the stomach.

Cold and or flu tea and toast, mashed potatoes or chicken soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Lets just say tea is a must.
    I do like spicey noodles in ramen. Hot slurpy carby goodness.

Or even a filthy Maccie-Ds. DURT. Oh yeah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Lots of mushroom and chicken soup (home made) maybe some toast and litres of water. Ribina is nice as well

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

If you feel any symptons of a cold get a spicy curry into you - sweat it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭johnnycee66

tinned pears and warm custard!!!!! real comfort, poor me, food

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

Ambrosia Creamed Rice - feckin' gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,994 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Colds/flu - Usual stuff - soup (when I was sick Mum used to always make my the Knorr Chicken Noodle soup), toast, tea, creamed rice, etc etc etc.

Tummy bugs - A couple of years ago I was struck down with some mystery bug. It lasted nearly a month, bad tummy aches, could hardly eat. Literally the only thing I could stomach was Nutella on toast. :confused:

• Advertisement

If it's the can hardly eat kind, then the dryest crackers I can find.

Advertisement