Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer fans

Options
  • 12-02-2011 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    My computer is 4 years old (desktop). For a long time now I have had it running 24hrs a day. The fans seem to be a bit noisy now and I want to change them before they stop working. I did take the one over the processor out before for cleaning and I am assuming I will be able to take the other one out to replace.

Are these fans standard. Are the two that I have both the same. Any recommendations as to where I might get them. Would love to get them on-line if poss. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
    I hope the pics are clear enough.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Those pictures are WAY too small to make any educated guesses. Measure the diamater of the fans - from side to side, not corner to corner - and tell us what they are. They should be either 60, 80, 92, 100, or 120mm.

Also, some close-ups of the label of the fan would be great. We can then try and determine what specs the fans have, to advise you of a fan that will push the same air, but, hopefully, quieter.

Also, odds are the fan on the processor cooler isn't standard, though I can't tell from that pic. You might have to replace the processor cooler if you want it quieter. (it's really very simple, barely harder than removing a fan) It's likely to cost you €30 or so for a decent aftermarket one.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Thank you for that Serephucas. I didn't realise there were so many different types and was hoping that they were more standard. I have since Youtubed the problem and was interested to see that you can open them up and re-lubricate. I rather fancy having a go at that.

I've also noticed that a Power supply also has a fan, should have been obvious really I know. Therefore that also could be making a noise which I obviously didn't consider before. Clearly a bit more work invovled for an amature like me to pull that out so I might just re-lube the other two.
    Thats a thought, hope theres no more fans hidden away in there:confused:.
    Incidently the one over the processor just clips on so I should be ok with that. I had it off once before to remove a build up of dust.

Thanks again. I appreciate your time and will let you know how I get on when I eventually get around to doing it. Hopefully it will be this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Thank you for that Serephucas. I didn't realise there were so many different types and was hoping that they were more standard. I have since Youtubed the problem and was interested to see that you can open them up and re-lubricate. I rather fancy having a go at that.

I've also noticed that a Power supply also has a fan, should have been obvious really I know. Therefore that also could be making a noise which I obviously didn't consider before. Clearly a bit more work invovled for an amature like me to pull that out so I might just re-lube the other two.
    Thats a thought, hope theres no more fans hidden away in there:confused:.
    Incidently the one over the processor just clips on so I should be ok with that. I had it off once before to remove a build up of dust.

Thanks again. I appreciate your time and will let you know how I get on when I eventually get around to doing it. Hopefully it will be this week.

You can buy a new fan for €5... if you open one of them up, odds are they're not going to sound very good when it goes back together. I mean give it a go, but I won't hold my breath on that one.

Replacing your PSU fan can yeild quieter operation, but with that you have to make absolutely sure that your PSU is still getting enough air, or you'll have more problems than I can count.

There shouldn't be, other than maybe a northbridge fan - below the processor, on the motherboard - or a GPU fan, if you have a dedicated card.

The processor fan might just clip on, but you'll have trouble finding fans with those clips as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Hard to see with those pics, but a good tip for cleaning fans
    is to get a small dry paint brush (a new one!) and use it to
    remove the fluff from them (and everywhere else).

If that fails, I'd recommend changing them.
    Fans don't last forever and are usually pretty cheap. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Job done. Its all good news.

I took fans out (2) and disassembled, lubricated, re-assembled and put back in computer. I used a mix of vasaline and motor oil a tip I saw on youtube. I was surprised to see a 'proper' small steel bearing in the processor fan. Those spring retaining clips (on spindle in fan) can be tricky, they can fly off and end up in Iraq if your not carefull lol.
    The machine has been running for 48hours now and it is quiet as a mouse sleeping. I very please with it.

I'm thinking now of applying to Boards for a 'Non Tech Head Certificate of Merit Award' lol:D.

Attached a few pics for interest.

I'd like to say thanks for all the comments. They always help in some way and are all appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement