Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sudden Influx of Secondary School Pupils in the UL Library

Options
  • 12-02-2011 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Okay, I am just back from a semester away so I was shocked to see SO MANY secondary school pupils in the University.

Particularly in the Library. Which is a major issue as they are just sitting around talking and the likes and been distracting to alot of students, who like me I am sure are trying to sort of the FYP.

What ever happened to the planned scheme of having to scan your UL I.D to gain access into the UL Library?

(Also would cut down on the MANY Mary I students who come out to study in the UL Library during UL's Study Week)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Well if they are an issue why not inform security...seeing as they are as so good to remove our stuff and tell us be quiet when it suits them, they might remove some intruders!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Students 'studying' for mocks.

In fairness, they're no worse than the typical UL head who goes in there and talks for a few hours and are happy that they've got some work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

Well if they are an issue why not inform security...seeing as they are as so good to remove our stuff and tell us be quiet when it suits them, they might remove some intruders!

True, but with the School Uniform they stick out like a sore thumb and they not doing a thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

I know several Castletroy college students who use the library to study and the numbers seem to be increasing, do they not have study areas in their own school? It is really annoying when you can't get a seat and then they chat and constant buzzing of mobile phones when they leave them sitting on the work stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

(Also would cut down on the MANY Mary I students who come out to study in the UL Library during UL's Study Week)

Technically Mary I students have the right to use the UL library, join UL Clubs & Socs and join the UL Gym seeing how they are members of University of Limerick. The library facilities in Mary I are barely up to scratch therefore causing the influx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Technically Mary I students have the right to use the UL library, join UL Clubs & Socs and join the UL Gym seeing how they are members of University of Limerick. The library facilities in Mary I are barely up to scratch therefore causing the influx

Also, a great deal of MA and Ph.D students have to use the UL library because the texts there aren't available elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Button12

I know last year at the weekends they used to ask for UL I.D before you were allowed into the library. I think they should keep that up during the week. Theres nothing worse than a group of secondary school students messing inside in the library when you're trying to study or do an assignment.
    We're the ones who pay fees etc so it should be soley for college students and not second level students.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Agent_99 wrote: »
    I know several Castletroy college students who use the library to study and the numbers seem to be increasing, do they not have study areas in their own school? It is really annoying when you can't get a seat and then they chat and constant buzzing of mobile phones when they leave them sitting on the work stations.

From what I can remember, CC has supervised study in the evenings, which costs about €90+ per term.

There is also Dooradoyle and the Granary libraries, but I guess UL is more convenient.

It is a pain in the Áras an Uactaran when they can't shut up, though. (Lets face it, some UL students aren't exactly guilt-free of that :P)

But yeah, towards the end of semester (study week in particular) is when most Leaving Certs choose to take "Study Days", and skip down to the library to "study". It's hard enough finding a space in there. :rolleyes:

Slightly OT - But people who get their space, set up their laptop, and then piss off for lunch with all their stuff still there really grinds my gears :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

At least when I was doing my LC we had the decence to not use the UL library until late May, if not June!

It's ridiculous, really p*sses me off when I can't get a seat near the books I use or when everything has gone walkies from the TRC.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Podgoricka

seen this my self!! It is quite annoying considering as some poster above said all they do is chat and walk around the place!! very distracting. do security have he right to remove them tho? like is the library only and only for UL students??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Every university library I've been in Ireland (TCD's, DCU's, UCD's) were swipe only for members of the university. The public could get temporay access on request.

I think it's very generous of UL to let anyone use its library facilities but it is unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

Slightly OT - But people who get their space, set up their laptop, and then piss off for lunch with all their stuff still there really grinds my gears :mad:

Not really that much OT -

It annoys the hell out of me too! Know loads of people who do it as well! So annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Podgoricka wrote: »
    seen this my self!! It is quite annoying considering as some poster above said all they do is chat and walk around the place!! very distracting. do security have he right to remove them tho? like is the library only and only for UL students??

Security have the right to remove them. If they hurt themselves in there (fall down the stairs etc) they're not covered by insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

They annoyed me with their pricking during study week of 2nd year and I complained to security to be told "arra leave them off, they're only studying for the Leaving Cert"

So yeah, the only way you'll stop it is by starting a swipe in/out system.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NewShoes

I have noticed them too, when I saw them there weren't making noise just studying but there were some college students around them chatting to their hearts content!
    I was in UCC with friends last month and to get into the library you had to swipe your id card, otherwise the barries wouldn't open - I honestly think UL should employ that method, would make security tighter and more effective also!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I was in the library on Saturday (I am not a UL student but have a letter of introduction from another college and have been given permission to use it, and am Alumni), and 2 leaving certificate students sat in the row over from me. The security guard was over to them straight away, and advised them that it would be perhaps be better if they left a seat between them to stop them talking. They stayed where they were and in fairness they did have their heads down studying for the day after that.
    However, there were 3 UL students sitting in the next row again that didn't shut up talking for the day, even with the security guard standing there, and he didn't say a word to them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Burswood

"Early bird catches the worm" kind of scenario... I know I missed out on a library seat during last semester's study week because of people doing this.

However, if they got up that early in the morning (when the library opens. which is about 7am?) to secure a seat in the library for the day, they must seriously need to do a lot of studying. In which case, surely you have to forgive them. I think what I'm trying to say is... Try and get up as early as you can to get your spot. I know thats what I'm going to do this time round! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

I use the library on an almost daily basis and I'm only in 6th year. While some of my friends might sit together I go as far away as possible to ensure that I get the work that I need to do, done. I have found the library very useful for completing my research project for construction and some of the staff have been very helpful.

I was talking to a library assistant when she saw my English poetry text book on my desk and I had a ten minute conversation with her about it because she herself is re-sitting her leaving cert this year. Some of the worst behaviour from people in the library I find are the older college students who think they have right of way to be complete tools. As mentioned about vibrating phones on work spaces I find it's an ongoing problem with a lot of the older looking students inside there.

The students of UL must be some of the loudest whisperers in the country too. It's non stop! But saying that I know how ye feel and I understand that it may piss ye off and at the end of the day ye do pay fees but don't tar us all with the one brush. Some of us LC'ers are trying to keep our heads down and work too. The Granary and Dooradoyle libraries are sh!te, they close early whereas UL closes at 11pm. I often find myself in there till that later a lot longer than most college students. I'm just looking for a decent place to study and that's what UL provides me.

/Rant

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

All well and good but it shouldn't be providing it at the expense of UL students.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

• Advertisement
Advertisement