Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biomedical Health and Life Sciences.. a student's view?

Options
  • 12-02-2011 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

This could be a duplicate but I was just wondering can anyone give me an idea of what this course is like from a student perspective?
    Thanks in advance.

webpage here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 emmalunney

hi! i am a biomed student in UCD. i didnt know what i wanted to do, but i was set on being an optician, which i didnt get the points for. i got biomed, and i didnt like it at first coz i didnt no anything abouti it. but basically its like physio/medicine/science all in one and it is geared towards medical research. in first year you will do basic sciences (chemistry and physics), anatomy, biology, histology. and den later in 1st year you will do harder versions of these. in 2nd year it gets a bit tougher, you do more anatomy, neuroscience, biochemistry, genetics and biostatistics and later in 2d year you will do pharmacology, immune, cardiac, renal, vascular and endocrine biology, respiratory physiology, but you will have a choice in these. it is a very interesting degree, with a small class so its easy to get to know people. you will be with radiographers and phyios alot in 1st year along with science students, and much of 2nd year is with the 1st med students. it can be frustrating at times, because now i want to do medicine, because we do alot of the med modules. the majority of our class want to be doctors and are aiming for the graduate entry programme after Biomed. oh and 3rd and 4th year is spent doing a research project :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jan shyr

If you are interested in the area of research, then this is one of the available options for you, just like biochemistry, genetics, and some other branches in science.
    BHLS is getting better every year, and now it is somewhat a little bit easier than it was before although not by much. You will be sharing modules with radiographers (anatomy I think), medicine students, science students.

But if you are planning to study medicine, you might as well repeat LC.
    And no, you don't do fourth year project in third year. You only get statement of interest, and initial proposal done, which takes a couple of meeting with your supervisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

I'm in 6th year now and was considering doing this if I don't get Medicine (again). But I was thinking, what if you didn't get into post-grad Medicine afterwards? You'd end up with not very useful BSc.. right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

._. wrote: »
    I'm in 6th year now and was considering doing this if I don't get Medicine (again). But I was thinking, what if you didn't get into post-grad Medicine afterwards? You'd end up with not very useful BSc.. right?

Dont really see how it's not very useful, grad-med would be a lot easier if you've dont half of it already, and say if med doesn't work out for you, you have something to fall back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jan shyr

Considering you're 6th year and haven't actually done the course, you might refrain from making such assumptions.
    I for one am going to stick with research. There are plenty of opportunities in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

I'm just saying, you can get better jobs in science from courses with lower points.

Advertisement