Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate opportunities

Options
  • 12-02-2011 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi Guys

Im heading off to the land down under in 10 days with my girlfriend and i was just wondering if i could get the opinion of those who have already headed out.
    I just qualified with a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering and due to the fact that i cant get any work in my chosen field im heading down on a WHV. Anyway my question is have many of you gone down as a graduate with no experience found work in your field and gotten sponsored by the company after the 6 month mark, regardless of what you are qualified in.

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

To be honest with you Poker. There are engineers migrating to Oz with years of experience so unfortunately you just out of college on a WHV with no employment record or references wouldn’t look all that good to an employer.

But then again you never know you could be in the right place at the right time and be lucky .

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

My experience of Melbourne is there is little or no mech. engineering jobs and any jobs are with companies with defence contracts so you need to be a citizen, and of course many years experience..

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Hi Guys

Im heading off to the land down under in 10 days with my girlfriend and i was just wondering if i could get the opinion of those who have already headed out.
    I just qualified with a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering and due to the fact that i cant get any work in my chosen field im heading down on a WHV. Anyway my question is have many of you gone down as a graduate with no experience found work in your field and gotten sponsored by the company after the 6 month mark, regardless of what you are qualified in.

Thanks in advance for any help

I ain't an engineering grad, but I've been on this forum for a little while and the general consenus is that if you haven't got relevant experience you have little hope of getting sponsership.. Your best bet may bet to get a short term job in a Engineering term on your WHV and if you are **** hot they might sponser you..

However its fairly difficult so I wouldn't get your hopes up mate :o

Advertisement