Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need a new lens for nikon d5000

• 12-02-2011 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I just bought my first slr. Nikon d5000 there was no kit lens with it but i did get a 55mm-200m lens. Would i need a 18-55? Ill be taking general amature photos.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It wouldn't hurt to get something wider than 55mm but it depends on what kind of shots you take. General amateur photos could mean anything.

Stick with the one lens for now and if you see yourself constantly needing to step back to get everything in then consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭black123

Thanks I do find myself stepping back. Sometimes I cant take what i want in a small room etc. Thats the answer i needed. For another question where could i get a decent cheap one and should i consider another than 18-55?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

As the man says, really depends on what you plan to shoot. If you are planning to shoot a lot indoors, you will want something wider. The 55-200 is fine for outdoor shooting, recently sold one myself, but mainly because I just wasn't using the long end as much as I expected I would. It's grand for street shooting, as you have some distance, and it's alright for basic shots of birds in trees, stuff happening in the distance. It's just not the quickest to focus, and once you start to zoom, like most mid-range teles, your aperture narrows down.

Consider a nice prime lens instead of the 18-55 kit lens. Like a 35mm f/1.8, unless you feel you really need something wider for landscape or whatever. A 35mm f/1.8 is excellent for indoor shooting, pin sharp and not expensive. You'll learn to zoom with your feet using a prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

I would stick to the one lens for now as well. My Sony came with 2 lenses but never used the zoomlens, so that was a waste of €200. See how you get on, and if, after a year or so, you feel the lens is limiting you, purchase another one.

There's a lot going on below 55mm though. It can be very restricting. Though ... some people manage to get by on just a 50mm! It really does depend on what you like to shoot. Rule out nice wide landscape pretty much with just a 55-200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

you can pick up an old nikon 18-55 that'll auto focus very cheaply. like sub €50 if you search hard enough. I think it mightn't be a bad idea to see what that range is like, especially seeing as you said you have found you can't always get what you want in.

Right on. The 18-55 is not a bad little lens at all. It's light, easy to use, no fuss, and like alex says, it'll give you a good idea on that range. From there you can decide to opt for something better within that range, or not.

You can get the non-VR version very cheap, and there is no difference regarding this lens. the VR does nowt IMHO below 50mm. As you can easily get away with hand holding @ 1/50 in most situations, countering any shake by default.

Look to get it for around €50 - €70 used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Rule out nice wide landscape pretty much with just a 55-200.

I beg to differ. Wide pano landscape, 200mm.

3149381892_c77cc813ab_b.jpg

That's a pano, not what you get right off the lens - you can do that with pretty much ANY lens :rolleyes:

Its a single shot taken of a wide landscape scene at 200mm. I'ts not multiple images stitched together, a single shot. So as for a 55-200 being ruled out for wide landscapes, you are simply wrong. Fact.

Because the image is cropped to make it a pano does not make it any way less than a wide landscape shot at 200mm. Fact.

• Advertisement

The only fact is that a 55-200mm lens only is very restrictive. A crop shot from a 200mm proves nothing. The Op is new to photography, I think best advice should overrule all else. if he means to shoot indoors, he will need something wider along with.

You made a misinformed statement saying a 55-200 lens is ruled out for wide landscapes. I've shown a landscape shot at 200mm that is a wide landscape. Being cropped to remove a boring foreground and it becoming a pano style shot doesn't change the fact that is still is a wide landscape shot at 200mm. Why is it so hard to see the image and accept it? If you want exif you can save the image and check it. You'll also have a decent pic for your desktop too TCO.

ok ok i didnt mean to start a war. Thanks you so much for your advice im looking forward to developing my skills and im sure ill be looking for more advice in the furture. I think you are all correct with your replys, its just we all have different taste and ideas. Ive decided to get an 18-55mm, hopefully as cheap as possible, as I find it hard to get a decent shot in small rooms etc. Im a she for the record! Happy snapping people.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Just bear in mind that a cheap 18-55 and a very dark room won't play well together.
    Be prepared to crank up the ISO a bit.

5uspect wrote: »
    Just bear in mind that a cheap 18-55 and a very dark room won't play well together.
    Be prepared to crank up the ISO a bit.

Thanks

Advertisement