Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting tieing flies

Options
  • 12-02-2011 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

i am starting to tie flies and i tied a few but i dont know many flies that i can tie does any one know a few easy flies i can tie

the materials i have are

grizzly hackel. partridge feathers marabou black brown and olive. saddle hackel black brown olive. deer hair natural. calf body white. bucktail yellow and red. hares mask. ultra chenille black brown and olive. super fine dubbing gray. and thread i have is burnt orange brown black tan and orange floss lead wire .o15 and .025. small oval gold. small wire gold

what flies can i tie with this

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

.. what flies can i tie with this

Lots. Let us know what species do you want to fish for with them.
    Lake, mountain stream, lowland river, or sea.
    We can then make better suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

i would be fishing for trout in a big river and a few streams

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Couple of good flies you could tie (google the name of the fly and "step by step" for tying instructions:

Griffith's Gnat - excellent dry fly in small sizes (16-20). Black thread, very light dubbing over this, and palmer a grizzly hackle along the hook. You will need very small grizzly hackles for this.

Para dun - good general purpose dry fly for upwinged flies in sizes 14-18. Grizzly hackle for wing (parachute style), calf tail for wingpost, dubbed body and a few hackle points for tail

Klinkhammer - good general purpose emerger (but you'll need special hooks) Grizzly hackle for wing (again parachite style), calf tail for wingpost, dubbed body

Woolly Bugger - great streamer (you'll need longshank hooks sizes 4-8) marabou tail, chenille (same colour as marabou) body and palmers saddle hackle (same colour as marabou) and a few strands of some kind of flash if you have any.

That would give you a good selection of dries and a streamer.
    steve

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

here is a website you might find useful on starting out:

http://learnflytying.co.uk/

well put together tuition and a lovely manner about him..... i re-visit these videos time and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

check out http://ukflydressing.proboards.com/index.cgi also Davie mcphail on youtube.You will find these really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

thanks lads

Advertisement