Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Big of a Work Load?

• 13-02-2011 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Dear all Leaving Cert Students :

Is anybody else finding that the work load is tremendously big and you find it hard to get an early night sleep?:confused:

And Do you find that every teacher is out for their subject and totally blind to the fact that we are doing up to 8 other subjects?:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

At times on the Leaving Cert course, they workload can be quite overpowering without a doubt. However I'm a firm believer that it souldn't be a constant problem if one keeps up with the work instead of procastinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 HappyOut148

I can re assure you I am not a procrastinator. I keep on top of my work load but most nights lately I have been up till 12 doing homework and trying to fit in study. I start my homework at 6 o clock after my dinner .. I littlery don't have time to breath with all the bloody work. . .

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Oh yeah.. teachers never give a flying f**k about other subjects.

When you get work especially English essays just do it! You'll probably get a load of past papers etc over Easter so do not put it on the long finger!

I'm glad someone agrees with the teachers bit. . .

Its completely unreal the amount of homework we get.. My Mocks are the week after the mid term and I know for a fact my Mid Term will be spent studying with a few breaks in between...

If I get homework that week.. I won't be doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I rarely ever get any homework ever. I would prefer i got more as it would make studying a whole bunch easier. Especially if your English teacher is correcting your essays and stuff, that can be so useful. Although writing them is soooooo boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I never get much homework so I can fit in around 2 hours study a night at least. I do however have an English essay to do on the "Character of Claudius" and I am trying to put it off for as long as possible.. And I have major Music tests on Tuesday and Wednesday! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

For me, it helps if I just keep thinking that this is the last time I'll ever have to do this.... hopefully:P

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

It's so odd how some people here get loads of work and others don't. Our language teachers seem mad on work, others not so much. I'd always have at least two hours homework a night, sometimes more. I find it comes in waves, best decision I ever made was reviewing how I study though and seeing not all of what I was doing was actually productive.

I'm getting a serious amount of homework lately?. Since after Christmas. And now having extra classes to get courses finished and that is eating time out of homework and study time?. It's seriously crazy!!!

Teachers are out for their subject and theirs alone and they don't give a dam about the rest. (well that is how i see my school anyways)

I think the sooner this is all over the better. I mean you can do you leaving cert any time you wish so why are they putting so much pressure on us now to achieve such high academic standards?

I'm pretty sure there is harder exams that people will take in their life that isn't the leaving cert.. But for right now I'll focus my worries on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

I cannot understand how people can fit 8 subjects worth of study into one day... I do 7 subjects, 6 at HL and therefore don't even do any study for maths until right before an exam, which usually works out fine. Regardless, I spend 45 minutes per subject which keeps me going for ages. I can't understand how people can really benefit from a study period of half an hour or less, especially with things like history and english... So, you who do 8 subjects, fairplay but tell me; how do you fit it all in??

• Advertisement

Its hard to fit it all in tbh.. I've no social life anymore. . . Studying is a bit of a problem nowadays with a work load the size of everest :/

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mydearwatson

I cannot understand how people can fit 8 subjects worth of study into one day... I do 7 subjects, 6 at HL and therefore don't even do any study for maths until right before an exam, which usually works out fine. Regardless, I spend 45 minutes per subject which keeps me going for ages. I can't understand how people can really benefit from a study period of half an hour or less, especially with things like history and english... So, you who do 8 subjects, fairplay but tell me; how do you fit it all in??

Well, the Leaving Cert comes down to natural aptitude a lot of the time. And also, pure luck.

I did eight subjects, seven of which were higher level. I got 515 points (approx. 500 more than I was expecting to get, and approx. 500 more than I deserved!). I did very little homework in fifth or sixth year, and any study I did was just night-before cramming. Failed most of my Christmas tests, mocks, etc. My attendance at school was pretty good though.

No magic secrets. Just, I'm good at cramming, and my exams happened to go OK on the day.

I really wouldn't advise doing an eighth subject. In fact, if you're looking for points, it makes no sense to do seven subjects, unless you're expecting to do particularly badly in one of the compulsory ones.

Well, the Leaving Cert comes down to natural aptitude a lot of the time. And also, pure luck.

I did eight subjects, seven of which were higher level. I got 515 points (approx. 500 more than I was expecting to get, and approx. 500 more than I deserved!). I did very little homework in fifth or sixth year, and any study I did was just night-before cramming. Failed most of my Christmas tests, mocks, etc. My attendance at school was pretty good though.

No magic secrets. Just, I'm good at cramming, and my exams happened to go OK on the day.

I really wouldn't advise doing an eighth subject. In fact, if you're looking for points, it makes no sense to do seven subjects, unless you're expecting to do particularly badly in one of the compulsory ones.

I am doing so much work (homework and trying to match that with studying) and in our school 8 subjects is what nearly all the leaving certs take?.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mydearwatson

I am doing so much work (homework and trying to match that with studying) and in our school 8 subjects is what nearly all the leaving certs take?.

Seven subjects makes little sense, unless, as I said, you are particularly bad at a compulsory subject.

Eight subjects very very rarely makes sense. In my case, I could not study both Physics and Music in school. Physics came easily to me, and I played piano so I chose to do Music outside school, and got a B in the subject with zero effort, so in my case it seemed to make sense (I had written off getting any points in Maths or English; ended up getting an A1 in HL English after putting no effort into it and just praying for a pass; goes to show the farce of a system ...)

Do not feel the need to study eight subjects because you think everyone else is! Employers should not look at LC points, but if they do, that's all they'll look at - the points. Not the amount of subjects you sat. CAO does not even acknowledge how many papers you sat!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

Seven subjects makes little sense, unless, as I said, you are particularly bad at a compulsory subject.

Eight subjects very very rarely makes sense. In my case, I could not study both Physics and Music in school. Physics came easily to me, and I played piano so I chose to do Music outside school, and got a B in the subject with zero effort, so in my case it seemed to make sense (I had written off getting any points in Maths or English; ended up getting an A1 in HL English after putting no effort into it and just praying for a pass; goes to show the farce of a system ...)

Do not feel the need to study eight subjects because you think everyone else is! Employers should not look at LC points, but if they do, that's all they'll look at - the points. Not the amount of subjects you sat. CAO does not even acknowledge how many papers you sat!

I have nothing but contempt for you lol... Seriously tho, you are clearly one of those people who has an exceptional gift for retaining information, something which my friend has which I am quite jealous of. At the same time, he does absolutely **** all work and is actually failing many exams. I find people with a true aptitude, and sometimes with great intelligence too, turn away from the whole system of the leaving cert because of the emphasis it puts on rote learning and the lack of creativity involved. Personally, that suits me fine yet as I already mentioned, it creates a whole lot of stress and a mountain of work...

Advertisement