Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallen Trees

Options
  • 13-02-2011 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Just wondering if any of you in the Offaly area know where there are trees down that I could get some pieces for woodturning natural edged bowls. I try to use only trees that have to be removed for safety reasons or trees that came down naturally. I'm not far from Tullamore and would really appreciate any info anyone may have. Here's a link to the kind of stuff I do but this isn't my webpage. Its just to give some ideas of what I can do.
    http://www.daveappleby.co.uk/gallery/original_designs/bowls.shtml

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

What kind of trees? Id say most places wil have someone to take or chop there trees. I reckon hop into the car and see if there's any fallen ones. Go into nearest landowner and ask for a bit. Maybe give him a bowl or a few quid if your successful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭keith gallagher

Dusty87 wrote: »
    What kind of trees? Id say most places wil have someone to take or chop there trees. I reckon hop into the car and see if there's any fallen ones. Go into nearest landowner and ask for a bit. Maybe give him a bowl or a few quid if your successful

Any hardwoods and some softwoods. Yew is a softwood but is very hard. Ash, beech, oak, sycamore and a few others are suitable for turning. I know where there is a small oak log but I don't know who owns the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Try approaching State authorities like Coillte and OPW. There are plenty of hardwoods falling on both lands, particularly OPW. Constant thinning and felling of trees to ensure safety of public.

Try Durrow Abbey, Emo Court, Brittas wood near Clonaslee etc etc. Plenty of hardwoods in the Slieve Bloom valleys, some of which do fall or are cut for safety. Oak, beech, ash, birch etc.

The waste in durrow abbey is a sin alright an ri rua. But the part that was felled is privately owned. The woman who used to own the castle kept that part. You wil see a boundery fence run up towards the road. The same group of travellers have been in trouble wit the gaurds twice there but they were loading up a pick up van to the gills on regular occasions. I might have a tree to cut up, but not sure what it is. Il see can i keep ya a bit of the trunk. Around what size?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bideye

currently cutting down lots of trees at ballymooney near geashill , if you drive from tullamore out past tesco and turn right further out the road towards edenderry you cant miss it - apparently all trees being removed as they are a danger, they have a lot of them removed already

• Advertisement

Dusty87 wrote: »
    The waste in durrow abbey is a sin alright an ri rua. But the part that was felled is privately owned. The woman who used to own the castle kept that part. You wil see a boundery fence run up towards the road. The same group of travellers have been in trouble wit the gaurds twice there but they were loading up a pick up van to the gills on regular occasions. I might have a tree to cut up, but not sure what it is. Il see can i keep ya a bit of the trunk. Around what size?

Anything at all, I'm still relatively new to turning and I'm just trying to get a lot of practise in. Its much easier to turn wet (green) wood than dry wood.

bideye wrote: »
    currently cutting down lots of trees at ballymooney near geashill , if you drive from tullamore out past tesco and turn right further out the road towards edenderry you cant miss it - apparently all trees being removed as they are a danger, they have a lot of them removed already

Thanks Bideye. Just stopped in with them today. They are mostly beech trees and would be perfect for what I want to do. I was talking with the chap who is taking the trees and he said I could get some. Hopefully I'll be able to get a few large pieces so i can leave it for a few months to spalt.

Thanks Bideye. Just stopped in with them today. They are mostly beech trees and would be perfect for what I want to do. I was talking with the chap who is taking the trees and he said I could get some. Hopefully I'll be able to get a few large pieces so i can leave it for a few months to spalt.

At least some good will come of it :)

Jesus, that was a beautiful tree-lined road.

Yes but they had to be removed for safety reasons. The middle of the trees have suffered some kind of rot which has weakened their structure, with heavy wind and rain they could have come down at any time. Its going to look some eye sore now.

Yes but they had to be removed for safety reasons. The middle of the trees have suffered some kind of rot which has weakened their structure, with heavy wind and rain they could have come down at any time. Its going to look some eye sore now.

That remains to be seen, unfortunately According to the Tullamore Tribune, page 2, there's a bit of a Forestry enquiry going on as neither Offaly County Council nor The Dept of Agriculture could confirm ANYONE was permitted to cut down trees there. Remains to be seen what will come of it but, with Just Forests in the case, it may go a lot further than is normal for breaches of serious legislation in the aul emerald Oisle..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cooleshall

In this week's Tribune you'll see a follow up story [page 2] which states that the Department and the Council had given the ok for the trees to be cut down but their spokespeople contacted by the paper the previous week didn't know that. Just shows the great communication in these bastions of the public service

Yeah just heard that today.

Post a few pics of the finished products op. Id like to see them. Always worked the rough end of carpentry but loved to do some chiseled pieces. Made a chessboard once (i dont play chess), just somethin i did when bored, then sprayed it with layers of laquer. Ok but need more practice. When i get a bit of money and a good set of carving chisels i want to chisel out somethin on a sheet and laquer it. Like an eagle or somethin. Would love to see your pieces anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

bideye wrote: »
    Shouldn't that be left :confused:
    Horrible eye-sore out that road atm. Would be an awful shame if they were cut down for no good reason:(

Advertisement