Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catherine Connolly

Options
  • 13-02-2011 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

A barrister who i see cycling her bike around town.
    Seems principled enough so i cant see her being lured by the trappings of power.

However i dont agree with her being against the bypass and against the airshow.

Our current voting system is **** so the best Galway would do is to get a independent in. At least we might get a few scraps from the table.
    Unlike say Crowe or anyone from FG who will just seat on their arses in the backbenches for the next 5 years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Stick it in the Pan

skelliser wrote: »
    Seems principled enough so i cant see her being lured by the trappings of power.

Our current voting system is **** so the best Galway would do is to get a independent in. At least we might get a few scraps from the table.
    Unlike say Crowe or anyone from FG who will just seat on their arses in the backbenches for the next 5 years.

The bypass will cost 300million. There is no money for it. Any candidate who says they support it needs to justify how it will be paid for. Frank Fahey has been on about that bypass for years yet he would rather throw all the money into the banks.

As far as I understand it Connolly isn't against the airshow, just the participation of airforces that are involved in wars in Iraq or Afghanistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

Anyone who is against the Outer Bypass will definitely not be getting a vote from me, no matter how principled or sound they seem.

As for there being no money for it, all the parties are talking about using whats left in the Pension Reserves to pay for infrastructure and job creation schemes. The outer Bypass is recognized as a piece of essential infrastructure that should and would be one of the first major projects of any stimulus investment programme, creating short term construction jobs and improving the quality of life in Galway which will in turn attract more inward investment.

The money would be found, its just the environ-Mentalists and people like Connolly who have the thing in legal limbo and can't see how the lack of bypass is crippling this city.

No love for Fahey either, he's an opportunist at best and is the wrong person entirely to be the figurehead for those who are in favour of the bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Couldn't vote for her, the only time i ever hear her is when she is whining about something on GBFM or opposing something in media articles, painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I think a proper public bus service is needed instead of an outer bypass. A reliable bus service all around galway and county so that it will take cars of the road. Unemployment is going up, emigration is going up, oil and fuel prices going up. People will not be able to keep a car on the road soon.

citycentre wrote: »
    Anyone who is against the Outer Bypass will definitely not be getting a vote from me, no matter how principled or sound they seem.

As for there being no money for it, all the parties are talking about using whats left in the Pension Reserves to pay for infrastructure and job creation schemes. The outer Bypass is recognized as a piece of essential infrastructure that should and would be one of the first major projects of any stimulus investment programme, creating short term construction jobs and improving the quality of life in Galway which will in turn attract more inward investment.

The money would be found, its just the environ-Mentalists and people like Connolly who have the thing in legal limbo and can't see how the lack of bypass is crippling this city.

No love for Fahey either, he's an opportunist at best and is the wrong person entirely to be the figurehead for those who are in favour of the bypass.

Anyone who says they are in favour of the bypass is being completely misleading. There is no money and it won't get built no matter who is elected. At least Catherine is honest about it.

And no all the parties are not talking about using the pension reserve fund as a stimulus. In fact none of them are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I had dealings with Connolly a few years ago. I actually think she's psychotic. One time I phoned her to discuss an issue and all of a sudden she started screaming down the phone, ranting and raving. Totally out of the blue and completely uncalled for. She went it some kind of hyper-defensive mode. Couldn't get a word in edge-ways. I wouldn't pi** on her if she was on fire let alone vote for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I think a proper public bus service is needed instead of an outer bypass. A reliable bus service all around galway and county so that it will take cars of the road. Unemployment is going up, emigration is going up, oil and fuel prices going up. People will not be able to keep a car on the road soon.

I live 10 miles out, i don't ever see a bus service that will bring me to town the amount of times i need to for work alone. Better bus service would be fantastic, but we also need the bypass to help unclog the narrow roads closer to the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Anyone who says they are in favour of the bypass is being completely misleading. There is no money and it won't get built no matter who is elected. At least Catherine is honest about it.

And no all the parties are not talking about using the pension reserve fund as a stimulus. In fact none of them are.
    Sinn Fein are i believe.

Representatives of Fine Gael, Labour and Sinn Fein have all mentioned this option over the past few weeks. That's all the parties that I see as being remotely worth voting for. Most economic commentators agree that it's a tried and tested approach for economic stimulus. The argument that there is no money so nothing can happen is patently wrong. The only question is over how the money is used, i.e. whether we keep throwing good after bad in propping up the broken financial system or whether we actually start to invest in our future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

skelliser wrote: »

she is an agitator. she would not be to Galway's benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I had dealings with Connolly a few years ago. I actually think she's psychotic. One time I phoned her to discuss an issue and all of a sudden she started screaming down the phone, ranting and raving. Totally out of the blue and completely uncalled for. She went it some kind of hyper-defensive mode. Couldn't get a word in edge-ways. I wouldn't pi** on her if she was on fire let alone vote for her.

Objective: you phoned her to 'discuss an issue' (details?) => she responded (in kind?) => you got frustrated => you claim she is psychotic and insult her on the internet.

Subjective: You rang her up to discuss an issue (whinge), she threw a wobbler, you hold a grudge.

Disclosure: I neither know who Catherine Connolly or TristanPeter are. Nor do I care.

yup, sounds like her alright. she would be more suited to having an active role in a violent demonstration than representing Galway.
    i wonder was she against the sewage treatment plant?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

invest in our future.
    Is that not what the pension fund is in the first place?
    Why not spend our heavy tax burden/revenue more creatively and effectively instead?

Representatives of Fine Gael, Labour and Sinn Fein have all mentioned this option over the past few weeks. That's all the parties that I see as being remotely worth voting for. Most economic commentators agree that it's a tried and tested approach for economic stimulus. The argument that there is no money so nothing can happen is patently wrong. The only question is over how the money is used, i.e. whether we keep throwing good after bad in propping up the broken financial system or whether we actually start to invest in our future.

No they haven't

Provide a link or stop spouting nonsense. We have a current budeget deficit of 19billion and a debt of god knows how much. Yet you believe there's 300million for a road in Galway that isn't needed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'm a Catherine Connolly fan.
    She has principles and objectives and stands up to the challenge.

anyway, should'nt all these snas be merged into the galway west general election thread?

... a road in Galway that isn't needed?

You have the cheek to accuse me of spouting nonsense? Lets hear your solutions for Galway and the Connemara regions transport problems. Have you a link?

On topic - Connolly can come across a bit firebrand and clearly has very strong opinions that she has no fear of expressing. A bit of that wouldn't go amiss among our representatives in government. Unfortunately I just don't agree with some of her strongly held views so I won't be voting for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Yet you believe there's 300million for a road in Galway that isn't needed?

It is needed. But the budget most certainly is not there for it.

You have the cheek to accuse me of spouting nonsense? Lets hear your solutions for Galway and the Connemara regions transport problems. Have you a link?

You're the one saying that there is hundreds of millions available for a road. I'm saying there is not. Any candidate who says they support the bypass may aswell say they are in favour of free Sky TV for everyone in Galway. It's not going to happen. I'd prefer candidates to be honest about this instead of telling fibs to poor suckers like you. Not a single new road will be built in Galway for the next 10 years. Fine gael would prefer to bleed Ireland dry to pay off German banks then invest in infrastructure.

Not a single new road will be built in Galway for the next 10 years.

Tell that to the contractors for the M18/M17

http://www.galwaynews.ie/17509-funding-still-place-m17

And I'd appreciate your not descending to schoolyard taunts. I'm no "poor sucker". I happen to believe that as soon as the legal challenges are thrown out and the redesign of the western section of the bypass (which is continuing apace) is completed, funding will be forthcoming and the scheme will happen. You clearly disagree. Lets leave it at that.

And anyway the issue is not about the funding. Its about candidates who for whatever reason, like yourself, believe that the road is not necessary and that we can magically solve Galways transport issues with a few more buses and a tram line. Theres no immediate funding for any of those ideas either so the argument over cost is irrelevant.

Tell that to the contractors for the M18/M17

http://www.galwaynews.ie/17509-funding-still-place-m17

If there has been money already set aside for it then maybe. But no new funds will be allocated for public projects. Certainly not under Fine Gael. Fine Gael don't believe in investing in the economy, only balancing the books.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Canvasser

Connolly is a loony. Keep the commys out.

Anti-Communism.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There are worse symbols I can think of to put a line through during this time, than a hammer and sicle;)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

I lost all respect for her when she told mike crowe to take his tablets at a council meeting. Im not being overly sensitive, but as somebody affected by depression, I found it offensive and uncalled for.

snubbleste wrote: »
    I'm a Catherine Connolly fan.
    She has principles and objectives and stands up to the challenge.
    ?

which is fine, but there is a way to talk to people and she has not got it.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    which is fine, but there is a way to talk to people and she has not got it.

Well I disagree. She gave a rousing speech recently (sound isn't the best)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZbDzBPK9yo

No they haven't

Provide a link or stop spouting nonsense. We have a current budeget deficit of 19billion and a debt of god knows how much. Yet you believe there's 300million for a road in Galway that isn't needed?

It's not a hugh amount of money considering what will be spent on some infrastructure projects in the next few years, and it is most definitely needed.

edit, ever consider how much of the cost will give a return to the exchequer through construction jobs and materials.
    Not to mention taking thousands of vehicles off the city streets, reducing travel times and pollution, freeing up our narrow roads for more busses.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Well I disagree. She gave a rousing speech recently (sound isn't the best)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZbDzBPK9yo

an interesting clip, but how does she get on in a debate when people actually disagree with her? the problem is that people are saying that she loses the head and becomes personally insulting.

she does not stand a chance of winning floating voters.

galwayrush wrote: »
    It's not a hugh amount of money considering what will be spent on some infrastructure projects in the next few years, and it is most definitely needed.

edit, ever consider how much of the cost will give a return to the exchequer through construction jobs and materials.
    Not to mention taking thousands of vehicles off the city streets, reducing travel times and pollution, freeing up our narrow roads for more busses.

Where's the money going to come from?

Fuinseog wrote: »
    an interesting clip, but how does she get on in a debate when people actually disagree with her? the problem is that people are saying that she loses the head and becomes personally insulting.
    she does not stand a chance of winning floating voters.

I disagree again. If you look for links in that clip, you'll the follow-on debate. anyway we'll see come February 26th whether she "does not stand a chance of winning floating voters".

• Advertisement

Where's the money going to come from?

There will be money available for important infrastructure, (better to put borrowed money to good use rather than wasting it all on zombie banks, a different matter entirely) It'simportant we have people who will fight for whatever is available. Many road projects are going ahead and this is a vitally important one.
    Perhaps it's true to say we can't afford any roadbuilding, but if we don't fight for a share, money that will be made available will be spent in other areas of the country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement