Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catherine Connolly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

When Manuela was murdered, Connolly was very vocal in expressing the railway line walk should be closed, a very old an invaluable path from the East to the City Centre, she's not from that side of town & shut up about it fairly quick for some reason.

Pure opportunist looking to cash in on a poor girl's untimely death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

She makes a living representing people in a very competitive profession ( barrister ). She would be well able to represent the interests of GW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Did you see her posters?? "For The Common Good" :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Steyr wrote: »
    Did you see her posters?? "For The Common Good" :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

There would not be a poster big enough for all she is against.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Fuinseog wrote: »
    she is an agitator. she would not be to Galway's benefit.
    For me this translates over to "We don't want anyone that could possibly rock the boat"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Sure it doesn't matter if she wins or not, I'm sure she'll go up to the Dail anyway and demand to be let in.
    Cllr Connolly has never been one to accept losing a vote very well.
    Remember when she lost the vote on changing the start time of the council meetings, she shouted and banged the table until the meeting had to be abandoned.

I think she followed up again a few months later over some other vote that didn't go her way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ballybangirl

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I think a proper public bus service is needed instead of an outer bypass. A reliable bus service all around galway and county so that it will take cars of the road. Unemployment is going up, emigration is going up, oil and fuel prices going up. People will not be able to keep a car on the road soon.
    i agree with you on the bus service its very bad at times they need to take the bus more to see what we have to go through every day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

For me this translates over to "We don't want anyone that could possibly rock the boat"

no, it means she is completely unable to accept someone elses viewpoint. a politician needs to be diplomatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

galwayrush wrote: »
    we also need the bypass to help unclog the narrow roads closer to the city centre.

I just cannot see how a an outer bypass will remove cars from the city centre. The cars that will use it are already using the "Eastern Distributor Rd".

JustMary wrote: »
    I just cannot see how a an outer bypass will remove cars from the city centre. The cars that will use it are already using the "Eastern Distributor Rd".

Lots of traffic crossing the city will not have to travel through the narrow corridor that exits between the existing bridges across the corrib. Anyone from the west side of the city as well as anyone from the Conemara direction will be diverted away from those clogged city arteries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grainnereills

nutter...

who if, my brother is anything to go by, lost the votes of generations of bish boys when she voted against the school moving to dangan!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nobody in the Bish asked the University who owned the land whether they minded. Connolly ( she was mayor) voted not to pull a stroke on the University. Quite the right thing to do. It could have exposed the council to serious consequences.

You may read the sequence of deliberations here. It was entirely the fault of the Bish for trying to pull a fast one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grainnereills

that may be the case...but it was an unprecedented opportunity for the bish...she ****ed it up!

also, i heard last week one of the teachers in the school was telling the leaving certs eligible to vote not to vote for her because of that move...

looooooong memories in nuns island.

ps she gives harpies a bad name!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That school has/had a number of well known Galway FFers working in it including an MEP and including a known associate of Frank Fahey.

Was the teacher perhaps one of the FFers in question and did they declare an interest ??

I am not a fan of CC as anyone around here will tell you but she did nothing wrong in voting against a shameless landgrab of NUIG grounds. The Bish never even approached the College to buy the land but tried to rezone it anyway.

Read that link and tell me what CC allegedly did wrong on the night, from what I know she acted entirely properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

Great respect for this lady. She's not afraid of the "little boy's club" and is well able to get her points across - the little boys don't like her up there - they are of the mind that "women should be seen and not heard".

Long may she be a thorn in their side. :D She's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Great respect for this lady. She's not afraid of the "little boy's club" and is well able to get her points across - the little boys don't like her up there - they are of the mind that "women should be seen and not heard".

Long may she be a thorn in their side. :D She's great.

What club is that now?

What club is that now?

the little boys club- have you seen them in action - wouldn't see it in a primary school. :D

the little boys club- have you seen them in action - wouldn't see it in a primary school. :D

No, I'd never even heard of it before your post. Who's in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

If. as claimed here, the Bish were trying to grab some of the NUIGland, CC was right to oppose them.

NUIG and it's land is there for the benefit of the entire region, not just urban Galway.

There are many past pupils of the Bish able to help them in acquiring a new site.

No, I'd never even heard of it before your post. Who's in it?

pope - your'e quite intelligent - Im sure you know who the "little boys" are and why C Connolly is constantly having to moniter them. She does an excellent job.

• Advertisement

pope - your'e quite intelligent - Im sure you know who the "little boys" are and why C Connolly is constantly having to moniter them. She does an excellent job.

You've lost me, really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Well if she was the only one running for the election I would not give her a vote. :D

Aerohead wrote: »
    Well if she was the only one running for the election I would not give her a vote. :D

if she was the only one running, she wouldn't need your vote. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

if she was the only one running, she wouldn't need your vote. :D

Dont tell that you think she is going to get she has no chance :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

Just had her canvassing at the house, indicated interest for a chat and she was over within seconds.
    I openly told her straight away that I don't have a vote that I could give her (I'm German, jawohl!), but I was interested to learn more details about what she was campaigning for (I did read the leaflet), plus I have some issues about things I thing that do need to change.

Before I could even ask her one question she was very quick to ask me where in Germany I was from, and then moved on closing with that her brother lived in Germany as well. And off she went.

Now I do understand that I am particularly untargeted for the canvassers, and that they feel they must invest any minute into convincing someone who CAN actually cast a vote.
    However as a member of this community, a person living in this country, and as taxpayer I did feel I was unrepresented, belittled and completely unimportant. I would hope that is not Cllr. Connolly's idea of engaging in dialogue and representing the people of this country to whom I would count myself, and it certainly didn't impress me much.

On a side note, Mike Cubbard was completely the opposite: after telling him that I don't have a say in the elections, he still took his time to tell me what he stands for, and he did listen to my concerns and tried the best to answer questions I had about his campaign (this should probably go to his thread).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

also, i heard last week one of the teachers in the school was telling the leaving certs eligible to vote not to vote for her because of that move...

I would hope that the students there are well-enough educated to know that it's totally inappropriate for any authority figure to be telling them who to vote for.

Forelorn hope? ... who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

How can this candidate be against the outer bypass? Does she live in the clouds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Aerohead wrote: »

Same as :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I was thinking if she is ellected she'll just be an ineffective back bench zero influence lefty indo, not alligned to anybody and ignored, but we would be rid of her from the council.
    Could be worth a preference to send her to the Dail and kill her political career once and for all. :D

• Advertisement

dloob wrote: »
    I was thinking if she is ellected she'll just be an ineffective back bench zero influence lefty indo, not alligned to anybody and ignored, but we would be rid of her from the council.
    Could be worth a preference to send her to the Dail and kill her political career once and for all. :D

Scary rumours about a notorious serial objector being co opted onto the city council to take her place if elected.:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement