Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi LNB into dual tuner setup ?

• 13-02-2011 3:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

I'm sure you are sick of these questions but I have searched. I asked questions before about a motorised setup, now I am wondering about a multi-lnb setup.

I have a dual tuner and an existing fixed dish at 28.2 with a quad LNB giving 2 feeds to tuner. Lets say I put up another dish with multi-lnb's, what would a good layout be?

1. Is there such a thing as a diseqc with 2 outs to feed both tuners on my stb or is this the domain of the multiswitch?

2. single or quad lnb's on multi-lnb dish?

3. Can I still utilise the quad lnb on my existing sky dish (just using 2 feeds) ?

Basically just trying to get my head around the layout. Can you recommend me a nice simple layout and some specific kit wrt diseqc or multiswitch ?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,896 ✭✭✭✭banie01

dnme wrote: »
    I'm sure you are sick of these questions but I have searched. I asked questions before about a motorised setup, now I am wondering about a multi-lnb setup.

I have a dual tuner and an existing fixed dish at 28.2 with a quad LNB giving 2 feeds to tuner. Lets say I put up another dish with multi-lnb's, what would a good layout be?

1. Is there such a thing as a diseqc with 2 outs to feed both tuners on my stb or is this the domain of the multiswitch?

2. single or quad lnb's on multi-lnb dish?

3. Can I still utilise the quad lnb on my existing sky dish (just using 2 feeds) ?

Basically just trying to get my head around the layout. Can you recommend me a nice simple layout and some specific kit wrt diseqc or multiswitch ?

Many thanks

Dnme, I currently have a similar set up to what I think you're aiming for.
    I have my original quad lnb sky dish and 88cm triad with dual lnbs at 13' and 19'.
    The way I have mine set up is as follows, 13',19' and 28.2 feeding into a 4port diseqc feeding into tuner A and the exact same set up again for tuner B.
    All wired in external weatherproof boxes with 2 wires down to the vu.
    This gives PVR watch/record functionality across all the sats and leaves room to add another LNB to the 88cm should the fancy take me ;) , while still having 2 spare sky feeds for multiroom :)
    It's a simple and above all stable solution that I'm using since September with no issues and no worries re: weather and arc alignment ;)

Just to add I kept the original 2 wires down from the sky dish and used those as the diseqc out feeds ;) and just cabled the the lnbs with cable to the switch ;)
    Saves having to run new cable if you already have 2 down :D
    A lazy shortcut but it works...ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭dnme

banie01 wrote: »
    Dnme, I currently have a similar set up to what I think you're aiming for.
    I have my original quad lnb sky dish and 88cm triad with dual lnbs at 13' and 19'.
    The way I have mine set up is as follows, 13',19' and 28.2 feeding into a 4port diseqc feeding into tuner A and the exact same set up again for tuner B.
    All wired in external weatherproof boxes with 2 wires down to the vu.
    This gives PVR watch/record functionality across all the sats and leaves room to add another LNB to the 88cm should the fancy take me ;) , while still having 2 spare sky feeds for multiroom :)
    It's a simple and above all stable solution that I'm using since September with no issues and no worries re: weather and arc alignment ;)

Just to add I kept the original 2 wires down from the sky dish and used those as the diseqc out feeds ;) and just cabled the the lnbs with cable to the switch ;)
    Saves having to run new cable if you already have 2 down :D
    A lazy shortcut but it works...ha

Perfect banie01, that's it, I get it now. Many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can have 2x Diseqc switches.

Or a 17 in and 4, 6, 8, 12 or 16 out Multiswitch.

For more than 2 tuners and up to 2000 a Multiswitch is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭dnme

As it happens, I have decided to go for a motorised kit. I am just wondering though, do I really need to spend a fortune on a decent satellite meter or will I be able to get away with a cheap €10 job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

You *can* do it without a meter or just with a cheap €10 job but it's a right arse if your dish is mounted up high or not within easy access and you're constantly back and forth tweaking things.

Motors and receivers have come on an awful long way though and usually, so long as your mount/wall post is level, your motor and dish on same are mounted right with the correct elevation - it's pretty straightforward from there. If you've easy access to the whole set up, you can even get away with dragging your receiver and a portable TV (along with power for same of course) close to you on a good day (not raining!) and line it all up from that. If you've a dreambox receiver, you can even get handy addons that help with initial installation this way, probably similar available for other receivers too, linux based ones especially.

• Advertisement
Advertisement