Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I would really appreciate some or any help with a Mechanics Apprenticeship!!!

Options
  • 13-02-2011 3:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,
    im new to boards.ie just hope iv posted this in the rite place and hope somebody can help me out.

I have been looking for an apprenticeship for nearly a year now......just nothing going in my area im prepared to work for buttons to get registered and will move to whare ever i have 2!!!!:(

any!! il say it again ANY help would be really appriciated!

Which apprenticeship would be best?? 13 votes

car mechanic
    0%
    motorbike mechanic
    92%
    Luciferspartacus93PlugMax_DamageYouTookMyNamedaingeanrobirelandspursmle1324Midnight_EG-Corkie-paadyboyoDaisy! 12 votes
    HGV mechanic
    7%
    KamiKazi 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It seems you want someone here to hire you as an apprentice, is this correct?
    What's with the poll? Are you not sure what type of vehicle you want to learn on?
    Have you contacted FAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

SIMI had a program recently to try to match people looking for apprentice roles with people looking to take on dealers.

Might be worth giving a call, getting the correct contact and seeing how it works. Not sure if it was in connection with Fas or through SIMI direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 paadyboyo

motorbike mechanic
    biko wrote: »
    It seems you want someone here to hire you as an apprentice, is this correct?
    What's with the poll? Are you not sure what type of vehicle you want to learn on?
    Have you contacted FAS?

basically, yes or even some helpful information...ya i have contacted fas... you have to find an empolyer to take you on before fas will even entertain you!!
    the poll is just some fun i know i want to be a car mechanic just wanted to see what everyone else thinks:rolleyes:
    thanks for your reply! anything else would be helpful!

motorbike mechanic
    anewme wrote: »
    SIMI had a program recently to try to match people looking for apprentice roles with people looking to take on dealers.

Might be worth giving a call, getting the correct contact and seeing how it works. Not sure if it was in connection with Fas or through SIMI direct.

ya i have been on the simi website and have filled out the application form with a cv attached and all and have phoned them 2 or 3 times...simi are running it but it is supported by fas it would be exactly the same as a normal apprenticeship.....im now at the point where my only option seems to be getting a list of every garage in tipperary and sending my cv to them.....but i tink garages will go for wat they already have on file rather than some fella who just sent in his cv...correct me if im wrong??

thanks fro your reply, anything helps!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Rather than sending in the cv, call in yourself with the cv and try and get talking to who ever is over hiring new people.
    Its very easy to just throw a cv in the bin so if they can put a face to a name its a help.
    Plus it looks like your serious about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Unfortunately for you this is a really bad time to be trying to get a start in the motor trade.

As eire-kp said, applying in person would be better as the person hiring would at least have an idea what you're like.

motorbike mechanic
    eire-kp wrote: »
    Rather than sending in the cv, call in yourself with the cv and try and get talking to who ever is over hiring new people.
    Its very easy to just throw a cv in the bin so if they can put a face to a name its a help.
    Plus it looks like your serious about it.

sounds like a plan...i have gone in myself to most local garages just get the same sentence everytime "shur we'l contact you if we have anything" :rolleyes:
    i didn tink it would be this hard to find one to be totally honest starting to get serious about it now ya...have been tinkering with cars since i was about 12 like and just need the chance to get started.
    thanks for your help!:)

motorbike mechanic
    Crackle wrote: »
    Unfortunately for you this is a really bad time to be trying to get a start in the motor trade.

As eire-kp said, applying in person would be better as the person hiring would at least have an idea what you're like.

dont i know it lol!:p

it does seem like the thing to do just have to stay annoying them until someone decides to hire me:confused:
    thanks for your input!:)

motorbike mechanic
    biko wrote: »

thanks biko

but before i joined boards.ie i read all of them id say....alot of people seem to be in the same boat as i am.

i wiuld love to know whare these 150 apprenticeships are going from semi???
    thank you all the same as i said before anything helps:)

• Advertisement

motorbike mechanic
    BUMP

paadyboyo wrote: »
    im now at the point where my only option seems to be getting a list of every garage in tipperary and sending my cv to them.....but i tink garages will go for wat they already have on file rather than some fella who just sent in his cv...correct me if im wrong??

thanks fro your reply, anything helps!:D

If you were actually serious about it you would have done this already. How do you think those on file got there? Nothing will fall into your lap these day (only election paraphanalia :pac:)

motorbike mechanic
    RoverJames wrote: »
    If you were actually serious about it you would have done this already. How do you think those on file got there? Nothing will fall into your lap these day (only election paraphanalia :pac:)

ammmmmmmmmmm........i have called into evry local garage in bout a 20 mile radius of me wit cv and a follow up phonecall...that is true if you dont get up and do somethin about it nothing will happen.

thank you for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

paadyboyo wrote: »
    ammmmmmmmmmm........i have called into evry local garage in bout a 20 mile radius of me wit cv and a follow up phonecall...that is true if you dont get up and do somethin about it nothing will happen.

thank you for the reply.

Find a garage outside that radius, and if you get the apprenticeship, move nearer to it.

Advertisement