Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Nolan

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

skelliser wrote: »
    He is Labour's candidate to succeed Michael D.

Iv never heard him speak on anything and dunno what he may or may not bring to galway if he gets elected.

I think you've raised a good point. I've been wondering the same thing as I had barely heard of him and apart from the widespread advertising of himself in the press/public I have never heard him speak on any issues in the past or during the current election campaign.

I would consider voting Labour yet I haven't a clue what this guy's credentials are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Election posters are aimed at drivers, who will be zooming by with very little time to register their contents. That's why they're entirely visually-oriented, so that the minds of the drivers can register a snapshot and consider it while keeping their concentration on the road. Lists of policies, contact details - they'd have to stop the car for that. There are plenty of other ways to inform people about the specifics.

Most of which you were also complaining about :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

gandroid wrote: »
    I think you've raised a good point. I've been wondering the same thing as I had barely heard of him and apart from the widespread advertising of himself in the press/public I have never heard him speak on any issues in the past or during the current election campaign.

I would consider voting Labour yet I haven't a clue what this guy's credentials are.

You can review past articles/reports:

From the Galway Advertiser

Galway Independant

He's also been on Galway Bay FM, RnaG a lot. Also he's spoken on RTÉ and TV3 a few times since the GE started in earnest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

have not heard him speak but would veer towards voting for him - he might okay but would be very wary of the opportunists he has surrounding him who when pushed are more FF and FG than labour - which would turn me off

If you really want to vote a labour style govt in, you need to vote LEFT of Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Lockstep wrote: »
    You can review past articles/reports:

From the Galway Advertiser

Galway Independant

He's also been on Galway Bay FM, RnaG a lot. Also he's spoken on RTÉ and TV3 a few times since the GE started in earnest.

Yeah thanks. But I know I can google him...but how many people are going to do that? The point I was making is that I have not heard much of him randomly in the media compared to some other local candidates. I do read some local papers and listen to local radio but maybe it's just me and the OP but that would seem coincedental. In any case, thanks for the articles, I'll have a read perhaps.

• Advertisement

gandroid wrote: »
    Yeah thanks. But I know I can google him...but how many people are going to do that? The point I was making is that I have not heard much of him randomly in the media compared to some other local candidates. I do read some local papers and listen to local radio but maybe it's just me and the OP but that would seem coincedental. In any case, thanks for the articles, I'll have a read perhaps.

SOrry, I didn't mean to come across as condescending there/make it seem like I didn't think you could Google.

Point I was trying to make was that he's appeared in the local news a lot over the past few years (as well as speaking on various events/current affairs debates etc)

I read regularly read the local papers (Galway Advertiser/Independant) and Nolan was on it an awful lot (as the archives show). Don't listen to the radio much so dunno how often he's on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 My View

Labour are jumping on the bandwagon similar to the Padraic McCormack ideology with Brian Walsh, past TD's seats Michael D Higgins in this instance should not be a basis for electing a totally different candidate.

I find Derek Nolan to be very arrogant, ignorant and full of empty Labour rhetoric.

I asked him a question / for assistance last November on a community issue - he simply told me where to go as I was not in his constituency.

He's a jumped up Michael D Higgins who also has done very little for the West of Ireland. Ok he supports the Irish Language and the Arts but look what he gets paid and his expenses....there are great peopl working for Arts groups such as Macnas etc who get paid less than the minimum wage for 65 hour weeks!!!

We need real, competent people who are willing to think outside the box to get this country back on its feet, I'm afraid Derek Nolan similar to Michael D Higgins is too self indulged and self consuming to be that person....DON'T GIVE THIS GUY YOUr NUMBER ONE VOTE - LET HIM WORK FOR IT FIRST LOCALLY AND THEN WE'LL SEE NEXT TIME AROUND....

Another thoughtful, insightful post from My View. Remember, dont give him a first preference, the jumped up arrogant fellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Is MyView a Canvasser re-reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

My View wrote: »
    Labour are jumping on the bandwagon similar to the Padraic McCormack ideology with Brian Walsh, past TD's seats Michael D Higgins in this instance should not be a basis for electing a totally different candidate.

I find Derek Nolan to be very arrogant, ignorant and full of empty Labour rhetoric.

I asked him a question / for assistance last November on a community issue - he simply told me where to go as I was not in his constituency.

He's a jumped up Michael D Higgins who also has done very little for the West of Ireland. Ok he supports the Irish Language and the Arts but look what he gets paid and his expenses....there are great peopl working for Arts groups such as Macnas etc who get paid less than the minimum wage for 65 hour weeks!!!

We need real, competent people who are willing to think outside the box to get this country back on its feet, I'm afraid Derek Nolan similar to Michael D Higgins is too self indulged and self consuming to be that person....DON'T GIVE THIS GUY YOUr NUMBER ONE VOTE - LET HIM WORK FOR IT FIRST LOCALLY AND THEN WE'LL SEE NEXT TIME AROUND....

when you haven't signed up recently just to comment on election candidates, maybe we'll listen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Is MyView a Canvasser re-reg?

I think he's also registered himself as Blaris. These people obviously think we're stupid. Look in the mirror, guys; you're still supporting FF, I think that says all we need to know about you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

markesmith wrote: »
    Traditional Labour man, he's got my vote. It's interesting that, on this thread, the posters with the lowest post count are spreading bits of smear about Nolan.

you don't have any "traditional" labour men any more - Labour used to lean t the left - now they are centre right and moving rapidly to the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The naivety of expecting a politician who is not in your constituency to do something for you!
    Obvious re-reg. Could the mods introduce a rule for the next week whereby only posters of 6 months standing or a certain number of posts can post in election threads? Far too many shills and party members registering to have a go at other candidates...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

'My View'

If you want to spout nonsensical 'opinions', rhetoric and polemic, and command people how to vote, get a blog.

Banned for 2 weeks.

Let's see if s/he shows up in the forum again after the election, I'd be very surprised.

/moderation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Not exactly sure where to post this:
    Tonight at 8pm in Áras Moyola, NUIG north campus, the main political parties are to set out their future policy plans for older people, children and families, and persons with disabilities. Organised by The Lifecourse Institute

Fidelma Healy-Eames
    Derek Nolan
    Niall O’Brochlain
    Trevor O’Clochartaigh
    Eamon O’Cuiv

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

I have been bombarded by pro life campaigners outside the Churches in Galway recently telling us not to vote for Nolan are Labour are in favour of murdering babies before they are born. There is a pro life protest organised outside his office today. Remember to use your vote to protect human life and ask your candidates where they stand on the issue. May God bless the unborn in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Glenman wrote: »
    I have been bombarded by pro life campaigners outside the Churches in Galway recently telling us not to vote for Nolan are Labour are in favour of murdering babies before they are born. There is a pro life protest organised outside his office today. Remember to use your vote to protect human life and ask your candidates where they stand on the issue. May God bless the unborn in Ireland

Labours stance on abortion is no different from Fianna Fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Remember to use your vote to protect human life and ask your candidates where they stand on the issue.

You could start by asking Nolan :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

It's god bothering nonsense like this that just convinced me to give a higher preference to Nolan.

Thanks, Glenman. I'm sure Labour appreciate the wonderful job you're doing for them.

Students held a counter protest with LGBT flags.
    The protest descended into farce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Ficheall wrote: »
    Michael Martin for one. Just has a vey small Fianna Fail logo and "Real Plan, Better Future" or somesuch. Pucks of the things knocking around the place.

You know he's not running in this constituency right?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

I think Derek Nolan outlined his party's position quite well as regards abortion in this interview
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-zIT76_oQc&feature=player_embedded

From what I can see, Labour supports whatever the majority of people in Ireland support.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

amz5 wrote: »
    From what I can see, Labour supports whatever the majority of people in Ireland support.
    They also support the Constitutional position as of the last 19 years, as validated by the European Court of Human Rights.

To say that they are pro-abortion (or any other choice of emotive words designed to canvass a certain vote) is disingenuous in the extreme. They are just in favour of legislating for the status quo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Out of interest, did you get much people to show up at your protest.

The country is going the toilet, and i cannot understand how people may not vote for a good, honest party because it may be a threat to abortion. If they get into power they will call a refreredum on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Who is going to replace Nolan on the City Council?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement