Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best logo designs?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

To interject, this thread simply shows different perspectives towards the importance of design.

At each end of the spectrum there is a value/reward balance. For a lot of businesses it simply doesn't seem worth it investing a lot in to design. If the end result doesn't look to give them a clear and significant competitive edge, then it doesn't make apparent business sense. Generally these businesses would operate in areas where their customer doesn't associate the look/feel of the company as a reflection upon their own life. For example, a plumber may not think that his customers care a lot about his brand identity, they just want their tap to stop leaking.

On the other hand you have businesses that are totally brand orientated. Their bottom line is based upon staying on top of the latest trends and fashions. Their market place is totally fickle - they know this, and know that if they slack off they will go out of fashion before the week is out. So little expense is spared on getting their design work exactly right.

These are the two extremes, but the vast majority of businesses operate in the middle. Everyone can benefit from better design. I don't mean cutting edge design, I mean the best design for that business. A plumber probably wouldn't want the fanciest visual identity because it may make him look more pricey than he actually is - so good design in his case takes this in to account.

Like anything, deciding on what to invest in design in terms of time and resources should be based upon what return you think you will get out of it. For example, if the plumber guesses that if he spends 100 euro on a new logo he will have a better identity than 90% of his competition, but if he spends an extra 200 euro he might look better than 95% of his competition - it's the value of that extra 5% versus the extra €100, and what he expects to get back from it in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

Hi everyone, as posted previously, I'm learning graphic design. Whilst I respect the graphic designers voicing their opinion, I cant understand that if someone charges less than them, their product is somehow inferior.
    Graphic designers are not an elite group. Anyone can be one. No qualifications are required.
    My sister is a graphic designer (part time). She is constantly busy and is considering setting up full time (hopefully with yours truly!).
    She charges a flat fee of €50 per design and the notion that her work is somehow inferior because of what she charges is laughable. She gets a large amount of repeat business and everyone is delighted with her work.
    Graphic designers may baulk at this but when I asked her about this, she says she designs for the client and not for other designers.
    I'm hopefully going to enter this field soon and hope to do well out of it.
    Quality design can be achieved for a modest price, I think a lot of designers should remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

She is constantly busy and is considering setting up full time (hopefully with yours truly!).
    She charges a flat fee of €50 per design. QUOTE]

She can charge 50 because she is doing it part time so has money coming in from another source, she [and you] will find it very difficult to charge those prices if your running it as a full time business as if it's your only source of income you will have to charge more in order to make a living also your costs will be alot higher as will the taxes you have to pay - Graphic Design does not fall under the artists tax exemption scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Hi everyone, as posted previously, I'm learning graphic design. Whilst I respect the graphic designers voicing their opinion, I cant understand that if someone charges less than them, their product is somehow inferior.
    Graphic designers are not an elite group. Anyone can be one. No qualifications are required.
    My sister is a graphic designer (part time). She is constantly busy and is considering setting up full time (hopefully with yours truly!).
    She charges a flat fee of €50 per design and the notion that her work is somehow inferior because of what she charges is laughable. She gets a large amount of repeat business and everyone is delighted with her work.
    Graphic designers may baulk at this but when I asked her about this, she says she designs for the client and not for other designers.
    I'm hopefully going to enter this field soon and hope to do well out of it.
    Quality design can be achieved for a modest price, I think a lot of designers should remember that.

I would stick my neck out and say the reason your sister is getting some much work is because she's charging €50 per design and not necessarily because of the standard of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

Or could it be that she's cheaper than some AND the standard of the work is excellent?
    As stated, she's considering giving up work to pursue this full time. She has been at this for 3 / 4 yrs and has built up an impressive client list.
    Wish her luck people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Or could it be that she's cheaper than some AND the standard of the work is excellent?
    As stated, she's considering giving up work to pursue this full time. She has been at this for 3 / 4 yrs and has built up an impressive client list.
    Wish her luck people!

Of course wish her and you if you opt to follow the same career lots of luck but again point out that if she does go full time as a graphic designer she will not be able to keep charging a flat rate of 50 euro for every client. The difference between part time designers and full time designers cost wise is down alot of the time to things like tax and overheads. Most part time designers use either free software or illegal/student copies of licenced software and are supplementing their income with other work and most design work they do is under the table/cash in hand and not declared on their tax returns. Working as a designer full time is a different story, you will have to purchase full licenses for software you use and make sure to keep up to date and you'll have to pay tax on the work you do and as a result you'll find yourself charging about the same rates as other designers if you/your sister plan to work full time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement