Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historical fiction

Options
  • 13-02-2011 7:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

I'm a bit of a history nerd, and am especially partial to good historical fiction. Only problem is, it's quite difficult to distinguish the good historical works from the derivative muck which uses history as an "exotic" background for essentially modern stories, and not particularly good ones at that. Add to that the fact that I'm terrified of buying anything to do with Ancient Rome for fear it will just be historical hokum, the literary equivalent of Spartacus: Blood and Sand, and my choice is somewhat limited! So, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I prefer pre-modern settings, but am really after quality. To give an idea of what I like, and to throw a few suggestions of my own out there, I enjoyed Robert Harris' Cicero novels, and also Fatherland. Pompeii was was quite good but nowehere near the standard of Imperium and Lustrum. The Shardlakenovels by CJ Sampson are excellent, and I'm about to launch into Wolf Hall.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd recommend Patrick O'Brians Aubrey–Maturin series, (the Russel Crowe Film Master and Commander based on a novel thereof).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Wallace Breems Eagle in the snow is worth a look It follows the efforts of General Maximus(book was written in 70's so they're not aping Gladiator with the naming here) and the Single legion under his command as he tries to hold the Rhine Frontier against all the odds .

Steven Pressfields Gates of Fire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

The Long Ships By Frans G Bengtsson - A Viking Tale which has the added bonus of having some real life characters involved in it. Dont be put off by the terrible cover as its a great read plus some of the story takes place in Ireland.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/000612609X/ref=oss_product

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

Good luck with Wolf Hall OP. It's long, rambly and confusing. All the characters are called Thomas and referred to as 'he'. It's not a couple of pages before turning out the light sort of book, you need to give it good solid chunks of time.

Saying that, it was excellent. I found it's the type to go back to and reread in a few months, and there's even more in it then.

I'm stuck in another of hers at the moment 'A Place of Greater Safety', about the French Revolution. Long rambly and confusing, but.... you get the picture.

You seem to have more military tastes then me, so you mightn't enjoy my other recommendation, but for anyone who is partial to a bit of a bodice ripper except with excellent writing and very atmospheric try The Other Boleyn Girl. I don't make a habit of recommending Phillipa Gregory but it's warranted there, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Jimmy the Wheel

You need look no further than Neal Stephenson's 'The Baroque Cycle', which covers from about 1660 to 1720, and which, at nearly 3000 pages, should keep you going for a while.

And the writing and characterizations are simply sumptuous, to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Loved the Shardlake books too.
    Not clued in enough to be sure of the historical accuracy of all of them, but Bernard Cornwell's take on Arthurian legend is a great read (well, that doesn't have to "accurate", does it?), as is his series on the birth of England, about Alfred The Great as narrated by an English lord with Danish loyalties. Maybe the "facts" would make your teeth itch, but they're well written stories.
    Simon Scarrow has a fairly lighweight series on the Roman legions. Again, perhaps the inaccuracies, or lack of much real historical context may grate, but they're an easy read. I'm halfway through his series on Napolean v Wellington, which is maybe a little more framed by reality, but written as novels with a fair bit of licence.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I would recomend Q by Luther Blisset, I loved it. If you are into history you should like it. Another one that I read more recently is Every Man dies alone, very depressing but very good and quite historicaly accurate.

'Depressing' and 'Historically Accurate' do seem to go together alright. Hard old world and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Wallace Breems Eagle in the snow is worth a look It follows the efforts of General Maximus(book was written in 70's so they're not aping Gladiator with the naming here) and the Single legion under his command as he tries to hold the Rhine Frontier against all the odds .

Eagle in the snow is historic fiction at its best,in my top ten.

Azincourt by Beranard Cornwell and The Religion by Tim Willocks are pretty good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Everyone gets a thanks 'cos I'm in such a good mood!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely be adding a few to my To Read list. As regards historical accuracy, I'm not a stickler for it, as long as the narrative is credible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I picked this up cheap online but found the first few chapters decent if a little tedious. Is it worth sticking with throughout? I want to but the first bit has little relevance to Sparta and the like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Harris' Cicero books are interesting, good choice.

I myself just bought the I, Claudius novels.

Patrick O'Brien is certainly someone to consider, though I find his prose notoriously difficult to follow (it is at least authentic to the time in which it is set) I've only read the first 3 of that series, am still considering whether to go back to it.

In my youth I read a few Jean Plaidy novels. I think it may be fair to say that they are as much romance as history.

Walter Scott was the original historical novelist and 'Rob Roy' is probably one of the greatest feats of that genre. I highly recommend it. Prepare to push your way through some tricky dialogue though. (I'd also recommend 'The Talisman', if only for the lolz. You'll understand if you ever get round to reading it :))

Must say, I thought Wolf Hall was quite poor and Mantel to be a distinctly muddled writer. Something very... vanilla... about it. Can't quite pin it. I struggled through it nonetheless. THomas More kept me interested, if nothing else.

On another note, I've been meaning to read Ken Follet's 'Pillars of the Earth'. I loved the miniseries on TV. Anyone ever read it?

I just finished Pillars of the Earth last week.

It was quite good and absorbing. But not great though, imo. It felt like a modern story with modern characters in a historical setting, if you follow me, I don't think you really get a sense of the time. The best historical novels show how people are products of their time, and how human nature stays the same, and you are wondering where is the line. This one doesn't do that.

One of the best things about it was the development of surnames, which I am assuming is accurately portrayed. Did you know that a fuller is someone who treats woven cloth to make it more waterproof? I did not know that and I like picking up those sorts of facts.

But then you migt want to totally disregard my opinion, as I think Mantel is great.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

Some day, when I'm feeling brave, I'll get around to reading Leo Tolstoy's "War and Peace". The Napoleonic era might not be what you are looking for though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Manach wrote: »
    I'd recommend Patrick O'Brians Aubrey–Maturin series, (the Russel Crowe Film Master and Commander based on a novel thereof).
    I've read all 20 of these. Superb.

Some day, when I'm feeling brave, I'll get around to reading Leo Tolstoy's "War and Peace". The Napoleonic era might not be what you are looking for though?
    I found it an easy read. It's just long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

Not set in ancient times but to my mind the greatest writer of historical fiction is Rafael Sabatini. Scaramouche is an incredible novel about the French Revolution and Captain Blood is a very stylish jaunt about an Irish doctor who becomes a pirate in the Carribean. He wrote many other novels. His last was The Gamester about the man who introduced paper money to France to solve its finance crisis, it has some eerie parrallels with our current situation. As a novel it is not his best but it is fascinating when you study it and see how he manipulates real events to construct the story.

I found it an easy read. It's just long.
    Did it live up to the hype?

Did it live up to the hype?
    Well, I was quite disappointed when I finished it, I would have happily read on - that's quite an endorsement I guess. Having said that, I read it in about 6 days - I had a lot of free time and nothing else to do.

On the other hand, it wasn't quite as literary as I was expecting, in the sense that say Crime and Punishment is literary. In the case of a book that long, that's probably a good thing.

• Advertisement

Having read half way through Crime and Punishment I was expecting a similar hard slog through War and Peace but I guess not.

Not at all - War and Peace is more of a ripping yarn than an existentialist meditation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm a fan of Bernard Cornwell

Read all the Sharpe series.
    They're excellent though of course all pretty similar.

Devious nemises, everyone against him but he wins in the end and seduces the beautiful girl. Sounds like a James Bond film
    Well not every novel but it's a common theme

The Starbuck series was good

But the best was Azincourt, it's been linked by another poster further back

I'm a fan of Bernard Cornwell

Read all the Sharpe series.
    They're excellent though of course all pretty similar.

Devious nemises, everyone against him but he wins in the end and seduces the beautiful girl. Sounds like a James Bond film
    Well not every novel but it's a common theme

The Starbuck series was good

But the best was Azincourt, it's been linked by another poster further back

"The Saxon Chronicles" by Cornwell are also top notch.

See they are making Azincourt into a film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Can't wait for an Azincourt film. :D
    If it's half as bloody and violent as the book it'll be an 18 cert

Wasn't mad about the Saxon books. Read the first one and didn't follow up. But that's just me

The Emperor Series is good too
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conn_Iggulden#Emperor_series
    Very long books, would keep you going for a while OP

The Killer Angels is another, the film Gettysburg was loosely based on it

Can't wait for an Azincourt film. :D
    If it's half as bloody and violent as the book it'll be an 18 cert

Wasn't mad about the Saxon books. Read the first one and didn't follow up. But that's just me

The Emperor Series is good too
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conn_Iggulden#Emperor_series
    Very long books, would keep you going for a while OP

The Killer Angels is another, the film Gettysburg was loosely based on it

The Saxon books while slow to start off get alot better as they go along and overall are a great read as the main character develops.

I liked The Emperor series alot ,i am currently in the middle of his Genghis Khan series.

Shogun by James Clavell is a must read for anyone who likes historic fiction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Can't believe I forgot to mention J.G. Farrell in my post. Farrels 'Empire Trilogy' is must read stuff. Troubles (Based during the Irish War of Independence), The Siege of Krishnapur (Based during the Indian Sepoy Mutiny of 1857) and Singapore Grip (WWII) are meditations on the fall of the British Empire, as well as profoundly witty literature. I haven't gotten round to Singapore Grip yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Not set in ancient times but to my mind the greatest writer of historical fiction is Rafael Sabatini. Captain Blood is a very stylish jaunt about an Irish doctor who becomes a pirate in the Carribean.

Also made into a film in the 1930s starring Errol Flynn.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

No mention of the Flashman series yet? Without doubt the best - and funniest - historical fiction in print. Brilliantly researched and full of wonderfully spiteful asides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

I, Claudius and Claudius The God by the poet Robert Graves.

Close the thread.:)

Advertisement