Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Ross/Conor] That ad on boards saying "Congratulations" is really fcukin annoying!

Options
  • 13-02-2011 7:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

You know the one that says "Congratulations, you are the 999,999th visitor" and it is flashing red and white with a blue background. Its giving me a headache, and its caused my brother to have an epileptic fit. Boards do something about it. You don't need to stoop that low to include trash like that on this site. I'm sure there are plenty other potential advertisers who would pay the same amount as them. Or if you are going to insist on keeping them then at least get them to change the ad so that it is not a risk to people with epilepsy. Lets keep some standards at boards yeah?

Now I understand that there is some sort of adblock software that can be installed on your computer to block these, but why should we have to install additional software just to view this website.

There are also no warnings about the flashing lights on the ad when you click into any thread, so is it not the responsibility of boards to put up such a warning on the homepage, for people who have epilepsy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I haven't seen it myself, but tbh, this doesn't really sound like one of the normal ads that appear on Boards. I'm going to mark this for Ross and Conor's attention and ask them to have a look at it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Yikes, sorry to hear that happened with your brother man :/

We don't actually see/pre-approve every ad that goes on to the site; a good proportion of the advertising comes through ad networks, though we try to filter out anything wonky like that when it comes to our attention.

Can you give us a bit more information on when/where you saw the ad? Any specific forum, time of the day? Whereabouts on the page was it? (top right of the page, bottom left corner, etc?)

A screenshot would be helpful, but obviously if it's distressing you then just some extra information would be useful in tracking it down.

I've already let our sales team know about it, and they're seeing if they can track it down.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, never seen anything like it on the site, might be injected into your html by an ISP router, or it might be something from an ad network but we wouldnt knowingly include something like that. Hope you can help us track it down!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

I was only joking about my brother, but wouldn't be suprised if it did happen to someone. It appears in every thread I click into, directly below the first post. Also, it seems to only appear when I am logged out. For example, when I first viewed this thread when I wasn't logged in, it was appearing below the first post, but now that I am logged in it is not appearing anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I was only joking about my brother

That's pretty bad form, tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement