Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc in Software Engineering

• 13-02-2011 8:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi,
    This will most likely come across as a stupid question, but anywhere here goes.
    Is there any point in doing a MSc in Software Engineering if you have no intention of taking up a role of full time programming? The reason I ask is that I work in software support and do code fixes, read a lot of java code etc but I don't want to become a developer.

However for some reason courses such as the MSc in Software Engineering in DCU interest me, I guess it's the case that I want to know how to do things but not necessarily do them full time.

I suppose my time would be better spent doing a MSc that will help me towards team lead/management, but just wanted to get peoples opinions, would I be stupid to spend two years doing a part time Masters in an area that interests me but is not an area that I want to persue? (leaving aside questions over whether I'd be accepted for the course or not)

I posted this here to get opinions from software engineers/developers but if mods think it is more appropriate in the Postgraduates forum please move it

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I would say there's no point. Presumably the MSc is tough enough even if you are very interested in the subject and fully intend to use it to further your career. You probably need to expand on whatever reason it is that the Msc interests you for a definitive answer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Software engineering is not about code. More about algorithms and code optimization. My friend did the UCD course 2 years ago or so . [and another friend is doing it now parttime] And there was some programming involved. Using some java modules and some simple database messing. But not all of it is practical.
    I dont see how an MSc wont help your career. Specially now, where degrees have become the norm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Placebo wrote: »
    Software engineering is not about code. More about algorithms and code optimization.

That's almost the opposite to whats true.

Software engineering is about building software correctly, and subject to budget constraints, changing specifications, customer needs, best practice, maintainability, future flexibility needs - all that sort of holistic engineering stuff.

Its got much less to do with algorithms and code optimisation, which, loosely, is more the domain of computer science. (obviously a related field!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

I did software engineering for 4 years in college.
    Its your SRS and SDD doc etc as you mentioned. Its not specifically about code. ! If you design the software and write your design document than surely that is a loose algorithm !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Placebo wrote: »
    Software engineering is not just about code.
    That's closer to the truth I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

I'd say go for it OP, nothing wrong with education for the sake of it, as long as the topic interests you. I'm looking around at courses in areas as diverse as psychology, military science and woodworking at the moment - none of which are fields I have any intention of ever pursuing professionally.

Career-wise, it's at least relevant, and probably still of some benefit - even if you're not developing yourself, testing/supporting with developers or managing developers will both benefit from a deeper understanding of the technical side. That's both in practical terms day-to-day and in terms of perception by employers/superiors for career prospects.

Unless you're particularly keen to pursue qualifications that are of direct career benefit (in which case there are better options), I'd say there's no harm in it. Do make sure you're definitely interested in the material before you commit to something that lengthy and costly though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

I'd say go for it OP, nothing wrong with education for the sake of it, as long as the topic interests you. I'm looking around at courses in areas as diverse as psychology, military science and woodworking at the moment - none of which are fields I have any intention of ever pursuing professionally.

I'd say you'd write a mean trojan horse, though.

Advertisement