Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Environmental Health Officer

Options
  • 13-02-2011 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

I am considering contacting the Environmental Health Officer due to damp problems in my house.

• How long do they take to come out?
    • Is there a fee?
    • Does my landlord get notified before they come out or do they need to be there at same time?

My bathroom was full of damp in December and my landlord 'sorted it out'. This was scraping off the damp patches and apply paint. He said the paint was special anti-damp paint. The damp has now come back less than two months later, some in different areas, some where he painted including lots of small dots/bubbles of damp about to come through other parts he painted. The damp smell in the bathroom is nothing like any damp smell I have come across before and is over powering. It makes my nose tingle like I am about to sneeze.

I notice damp in other areas but bathroom is the worst.

By the way I have a dehumidifer but it can't reach the bathroom. The bathroom has a fan heater, an extractor fan and a window that gets open every day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭timmythesheep

If this is private accommodation it is outside the remit of environmental health. Try Threshold for advice re minimum accommodation standards

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

It is private accommadotion and it was Threshold who told me to contact Environmental Health.

I emailed them before Christmas about the lack of heating and the damp and they said to consider getting an EHO out. I’ve only ever heard of a few people going down that route and that was on boards.ie. I was worried that it would be an over the top thing to do so I was looking for more information first and rather than email Threshold again, I thought I’d ask here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

if its only in the bathroom you may be partly to blame.

are you showering with the window closed and letting a lot of condensation building up ? This is possible the root cause of the issue.

We had "damp" in our bathroom because the missus was "too cold" when leaving the window open when showering.

After sorting it out and reading her the riot act about not having ventalation the problem has never reoccured

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭timmythesheep

I had a look at the environmental health site and in the complaints section there is no option to report poor standard in private accommodation - I suppose this would not be considered a public health risk

Would you consider moving?

D3PO wrote: »
    if its only in the bathroom you may be partly to blame.

are you showering with the window closed and letting a lot of condensation building up ? This is possible the root cause of the issue.

We had "damp" in our bathroom because the missus was "too cold" when leaving the window open when showering.

After sorting it out and reading her the riot act about not having ventalation the problem has never reoccured

It's not only in the bathroom, it's in other parts of house as well, but bathroom is far worse than elsewhere. Bathroom is a concrete extention with only a fan heater - which is as much use as a lighted match.

• Advertisement

I had a look at the environmental health site and in the complaints section there is no option to report poor standard in private accommodation - I suppose this would not be considered a public health risk

Would you consider moving?

I noticed that on their website alright but then else where it says

'It is the EHO’s job to make sure that defective privately rented houses are either made fit by improvement and repair or if that is no longer possible demolished. S/he makes sure that people do not have to sleep forever in leaky rooms or damp basements and that they are not being forced to use insanitary and dilapidated water closets. Rotting staircases, crumbling brickwork etc., all come under his surveillance.'

The Citizen Information website also mentions
    'Local authorities are responsible for ensuring that private rented accommodation meets certain minimum physical standards. If your dispute relates to problems with your accommodation or to noise pollution they may be able to help. Talk to your local authority Environmental Health Officer for more information.'
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/disputes_between_landlords_and_tenants.html

I am considering moving although I really love the area and the street I live in. I've had enough of renting, I hate it. I've sent a letter to the landlord telling him we have been advised to contact EH so see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I dunno why you wouldn't just move. its your health after all.

Advertisement