Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Boeing 747-8 Launch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Qantas

Yea have been following this looking forward to it they have some nice test videos on there website.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Its Lufthansa i bet. They were the first airline to order the Intercontinental version and the engine paint scheme visible in the above shot matches that of Lufthansa's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Hogzy wrote: »
    Its Lufthansa i bet. They were the first airline to order the Intercontinental version and the engine paint scheme visible in the above shot matches that of Lufthansa's

This is the passenger one yes? ,I have seen the cargolux one doing the rounds a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭rob88

it says on their website that lufthansa are the launch customer.. also says korean air is one of the other launch customers

• Advertisement

rob88 wrote: »
    it says on their website that lufthansa are the launch customer.. also says korean air is one of the other launch customers

I zoomed the pic a bit as it was hard to see ,it says "First Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental for Lufthansa"

5438823467_54d6e0f760_b.jpg

God i'm a genius :rolleyes:

:P

God i'm a genius :rolleyes:

:P

I won't bother contributing then

I won't bother contributing then

eh i was being sarcastic?

eh i was being sarcastic?

And I was just trying to show people what it was ,not trying to be a know it all.;)

• Advertisement

And I was just trying to show people what it was ,not trying to be a know it all.;)

ohhhh kayyyyy?

Jesus man take a joke :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

She looks gorgeous in them colours.:)

This link has a pic from the launch:http://www.newairplane.com/

240947078-620x234.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Aircraft
    DATE:13/02/11
    SOURCE:Air Transport Intelligence news

Lufthansa discloses 747-8I configuration
    By Jon Ostrower

Lufthansa plans a 386-seat configuration of its new 747-8I when it arrives in its fleet in first quarter of 2012.

The stretched jet will be configured with eight first-class, 80 business-class and 298 economy seats.

Nico Buchholz, executive vice president, Lufthansa Group fleet management, says the carrier plans a new on-board product, which altered the available space on the aircraft.

"We started with slightly above 400 [seats], but that was the old standard, things evolve," he says, "We find things which we can do to the passengers - which are positive - and this usually does cost a couple of seats."

Details of the new on-board product were not disclosed.

Positioned between the 526-seat A380 and twin configuration 306- and 345-seat A340-600, the 747-8I will occupy a space that will allow the carrier to begin partly replacing its 23 747-400s and seven -400 Combis.

Buchholz says no timeline for the fleet's retirement has been identified, though market requirements will dictate the pace of the 747-400s' exit from the fleet.

Final route selection has not yet been determined, adds Buchholz, although he says 45 of the carrier's 70 long-haul routes are candidates for the first service.

Buchholz says the new aircraft will be able to meet the carrier's requirements. "All the mission profiles we want, we can meet," he says. "And actually we have very onerous points where we look for mission profiles, sometimes routes we don't fly, but we pinpoint certain areas to find if there are any weaknesses, and then we are extremely pleased when we don't find them. And I'm still pleased."

Buchholz anticipates a performance improvement package in the years to come and says they will have no operational impact on the aircraft "except we may save a little bit of fuel", he says.

The first 747-8I is slated to fly in the "early spring" - late March or April - and is expected to be certified in the third or fourth quarter following a 600h flight test campaign.

A total of 33 747-8I aircraft have been ordered, with Lufthansa accounting for the bulk of the backlog with 20. Korean Air holds orders for five of the aircraft, along with eight slated to be configured for head of state and VIP missions.

lord lucan wrote: »
    240947078-620x234.jpg

That is one seriously disgusting paint job ,it's so plain (no pun intended).I would prefer their blue paint job anyday.

That is one seriously disgusting paint job ,it's so plain (no pun intended).I would prefer there blue paint job anyday.

I think it looks well. Hoping they move her out of the Hangar so we can see it in proper daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Plowman wrote: »

It's similar to the 747-100 livery that the first test aircraft sported. More Maroon than red though on the original.

747-first-takeoff_ip.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

About time Lufthansa started looking at replacing the 744s, their interiors, seats and IFE are seriously dated and tired looking, I had a crap flight between BKK-FRA over Xmas, they really let themselves down compared to the other airlines I flew with.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Plowman wrote: »

Good point. I think the blue livery is very nice. Please let the red/orange be for nostalgic reasons.

I read on another site that this aircraft will be used for testing so will not actually be the first B747-8i to join the Lufthansa fleet. It will be D-ABYE. D-ABYA and D-ABYC will be delivered direct from final assembly before the photed aircraft will be reconfigured and then delivered. )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Wonder if MOL is eyeing these up?! :D Boeing dont seem to have too many orders as of yet.

She's a beast though. Any shots of the flightdeck?

Some pics of her here after she was towed outside the Hangar.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/airlinereporter/sets/72157625916726479/

The hump is huge on that thing ,lovely aircraft ,pity about the paint job

pity about the paint job

It really is!!!
    The dreamliner scheme was so fitting to any aircraft. The red just looks awful and dated.

Does anyone know why this aircraft doesnt have winlets?
    I thought winlets were almost a necessity to reduce drag at the edges of the wing tips. Unless the wing tips 'curl up' at speed?

It really is!!!
    The dreamliner scheme was so fitting to any aircraft. The red just looks awful and dated.

Does anyone know why this aircraft doesnt have winlets?
    I thought winlets were almost a necessity to reduce drag at the edges of the wing tips. Unless the wing tips 'curl up' at speed?

It's a new type of wing that curves up with acceleration in a raked design like the 777 and 787 ,the air bleeds off the curve in a wiglet effect.They are not rigid like the 737 and 757 ,767 so they don't need winglets.

747-8-wing-design.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Thanks for that image of the wing. I think the new raked wings look very clean.
    Will be strange to see a jumbo without winglets after so many years of the B744!

In regard to the (garish) livery, here's what is taken from Boeing on [url]www.airlinereporter.com:[/url]
    "I have to say the color choice is gorgeous. I don’t think the real beauty comes out in the photos. The paint is metallic, so up close it really sparkles. So why orange right? Directly from Boeing: “The airplane unveiled today is painted in a new Sunrise livery of red-orange that only will appear on the first 747-8 Intercontinental and is a significant departure from Boeing’s standard blue. The new color palette honors many key Boeing customers whose cultures recognize these colors as symbols of prosperity and good luck.” Either way, she is one beautiful airplane and I cannot wait to see her fly.

As of now, the first flight is scheduled for Spring 2011. Since the Boeing 747-8 Freighter has been going through so many different flight tests, the additional tests for the 747-8 Intercontinental won’t be as intensive. This aircraft (N6067E) will be painted in the Sunrise Boeing livery during flight tests. It then will be painted to the customer’s livery before delivery. Of course, there is still no word who the owner of the first aircraft will be. There were representatives from Lufthansa and Korean Air present at the ceremony. Currently Lufthansa has 20 orders for the 747-8I and Korean Air has five."

Heres some internal pics of the intended LH bird from the same website:
    Lower deck:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/airlinereporter/5439145279/in/set-72157626033733956/
    Upper deck:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/airlinereporter/5439751152/in/set-72157626033733956/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

i think the paint job is nice so there :P

• Advertisement

Interesting video of the 747-8F performing a brake test last month. Impressive stuff.

Advertisement