Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SONY - Go on do it I DARE you - Geohot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I hope they put him away for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I hope they put him away for a long time.

Why? Because if you had a clue, you wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Who knows... Prison might wipe some of that irritating smugness away!
    Fair play to him for trying and all that, but he's an egotistical wanker imho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

In the grand scheme of things, he's a nobody. Unfortunately, fickle internet fanboys are making him out to be some kind of robin hood type figure.

I'm confident that they would turn on him just as quick if Sony brought in some drachonian DRM as a result of his actions.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Liamario wrote: »
    In the grand scheme of things, he's a nobody. Unfortunately, fickle internet fanboys are making him out to be some kind of robin hood type figure.

I'm confident that they would turn on him just as quick if Sony brought in some drachonian DRM as a result of his actions.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

People did turn on him when otheros was removed.

He's cocky / arrogant too but personally that's too little to hold a grudge against anyone for.

Anyway, I think he should stick with what he does best :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

In the classic old school tradition of rock n roll, he's sticking it to man. Hats off to him for it, & for not cringing on his kness.

Sony collecting information about your home network every time you turn your console on, wants to know who you are because you watched a youtube video, makes a console less capable with every 'update', now in court themselves for allegedly stealing patented technology owned by LG, in trouble again in Norway for breaching customer rights by removing OtherOS. Come on Sony, destroy the evil hackers like GeoHot, protect us from the full potential of the consoles we bought, & keep us safe in the knowledge that the technology that's being used to steal games via the PS3 blu-ray drive might actually be stolen itself :rolleyes:

If anyone actually cared to compare GeoHot's custom firmware, to kmeaw's & Waninkoko's...they'd see the real sadness in all of this. GeoHot's message in that rap video is about freedom of speech, something your either for or against. Sad to see so many against it, now more than ever. This whole court case has about as much to do with gaming consoles as the man in the moon.

lordlame wrote: »
    People did turn on him when otheros was removed

Again down to the ignorence of said people. The PS3 Slim never had OtherOS, and was released before this whole thing began. It was going anyway, it was just good fortune to have a scape-goat there to take the backlash for it.

i didn't really mean it - i just found the video annoying. For the record i'm on 3.55 cfw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

That man is a knob end. But TBH, that rap was far better than I was expecting and does have a good message.

EnterNow wrote: »
    In the classic old school tradition of rock n roll, he's sticking it to man. Hats off to him for it, & for not cringing on his kness.

Sony collecting information about your home network every time you turn your console on, wants to know who you are because you watched a youtube video, makes a console less capable with every 'update', now in court themselves for allegedly stealing patented technology owned by LG, in trouble again in Norway for breaching customer rights by removing OtherOS. Come on Sony, destroy the evil hackers like GeoHot, protect us from the full potential of the consoles we bought, & keep us safe in the knowledge that the technology that's being used to steal games via the PS3 blu-ray drive might actually be stolen itself :rolleyes:

If anyone actually cared to compare GeoHot's custom firmware, to kmeaw's & Waninkoko's...they'd see the real sadness in all of this. GeoHot's message in that rap video is about freedom of speech, something your either for or against. Sad to see so many against it, now more than ever. This whole court case has about as much to do with gaming consoles as the man in the moon.

I agree with what you're saying but isn't this all about piracy rather than homebrew and modding?

If cfw allowed people to run homebrew apps but not run pirated games we wouldn't be seeing such aggressively litigious behaviour from Sony.

• Advertisement

If cfw allowed people to run homebrew apps but not run pirated games we wouldn't be seeing such aggressively litigious behaviour from Sony.

Like the CFW from GeoHot? As I said, people really need to look at both sides before making an opinion.

GeoHot CFW - Signed applications only, using his signing tools.
    Kmeaw CFW - Peek & Poke patched, signed & non signed applications allowed
    Waninkoko CGW - Same as Kmeaw but with LV1 tool added.

With GeoHot CFW 3.55, you cannot natively run backups. Despite this, lock him up & throw away the key?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I'd say he will make enough theoretical dollars to battle Sony that was better than star wars kid :D

He defo has some sort of ADD, i remember seing an interview with Christopher Tarnovsky the nagravision hacker where he explained he suffers from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder which allowed him to fly through code and hack at a rapid pace.

cisk wrote: »
    He defo has some sort of ADD, i remember seing an interview with Christopher Tarnovsky the nagravision hacker where he explained he suffers from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder which allowed him to fly through code and hack at a rapid pace.

It's weird how they call it Attention Defecit :p If I focused intently on learning how to programme it would still look like Egyptian to me :o Yet these people that have difficulty concentrating apparently breeze through it -no fair :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Is there a higher res version of this uploaded anywhere?

I want to see if that is the key he was showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

It's weird how they call it Attention Defecit :p If I focused intently on learning how to programme it would still look like Egyptian to me :o Yet these people that have difficulty concentrating apparently breeze through it -no fair :(

Someone who isn't me ;) was diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. Believe me, this person can have FULL attention on things that he is interested in. It is very handy in any IT support / development as those people think completely out of box, see thing differently and solve problems unsolvable for others

docentore wrote: »
    Someone who isn't me ;) was diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. Believe me, this person can have FULL attention on things that he is interested in. It is very handy in any IT support / development as those people think completely out of box, see thing differently and solve problems unsolvable for others

Ah selective concentration, mark me down as having ADD then :p

Varik wrote: »
    Is there a higher res version of this uploaded anywhere?

I want to see if that is the key he was showing.

Like the one Sony already tweeted themselves?

kevin.jpg

But then again there are multiple keys arn't there Varik. Or were you not aware of that, seeing as you don't visit lowly 'scene' sites? Yep, the usb dongle master key is now public knowledge thanks to Sony :rolleyes::D

Edit - That usb key has been known for ages, but tweeting it will make them look like clowns in a court of law when trying to prosecute for someone for doing the exact same thing (GeoHot with MetLDR key)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Like the one Sony already tweeted themselves?

But then again there are multiple keys arn't there Varik. Or were you not aware of that, seeing as you don't visit lowly 'scene' sites? Yep, the usb dongle master key is now public knowledge thanks to Sony :rolleyes::D

Edit - That usb key has been known for ages, but tweeting it will make them look like clowns in a court of law when trying to prosecute for someone for doing the exact same thing (GeoHot with MetLDR key)

The Deutsch/LA ad agency are the one who created Kevin Butler and run his twitter account, it was't Sony themselves and they would have only seen it the same time as the rest of the world. If anything Sony might get a discount for future work by Deutsch.

How were you able to make out those digits Varik? By the way, if thats the metldr key I'd get myself a good solicitor if I were you, you will have just done exactly what GeoHot done to land himself in court.

• Advertisement

Well that is the key Geohot has in the video with TRO approved anyways, it matches up with Varik's picture :)

Well that is the key Geohot has in the video with TRO approved anyways, it matches up with Varik's picture :)

Are you guys zooming in or something? While the formatting looks the same, I can't make out any digits (on a 42" screen too). Not that I want to know that code, bad things happen to those who know it.

I find it hilarious that people are defending this guy, like he didn't know that releasing the info he released wasn't going to be used to enable pirated games.
    These same people like to pretend they would only use the feature to back up their games. Which, we all know is bull****.

My concern isn't for poor Sony to make money, but because of the info this little **** knowingly released, developers of all levels are going to suffer.

Sony are going to be constantly releasing firmware updates and god knows what sort of DRM they might introduce.
    Also, how is all this going to affect the next generation of consoles from all the manufacturers.

The vast vast majority of players, couldn't give two flying f**ks about Other OS or even your CFW. But now we are the ones who are suffering.
    Suffering because some you think GeoHot is some sort of Robin Hood type figure.

I find it hilarious that people are defending this guy, like he didn't know that releasing the info he released wasn't going to be used to enable pirated games.
    These same people like to pretend they would only use the feature to back up their games. Which, we all know is bull****.

My concern isn't for poor Sony to make money, but because of the info this little **** knowingly released, developers of all levels are going to suffer.

Sony are going to be constantly releasing firmware updates and god knows what sort of DRM they might introduce.
    Also, how is all this going to affect the next generation of consoles from all the manufacturers.

The vast vast majority of players, couldn't give two flying f**ks about Other OS or even your CFW. But now we are the ones who are suffering.

Every console on the planet has been hacked, why are things any different now?

Sony will be constantly releasing updates? Well yeah, like they always have done. How else did FW get from 1.0 to 3.15?

Backup managers don't function on GeoHot's CFW, as he left the LV2 protection in place. So what's your point about cfw?

How is it bull? Would a fully fledged media center with ntfs & native mkv playback not appeal to you? Doesn't sound like bs to me.

The vast majority of gamers are suffering because we thing GeoHot is a Robin Hood type figure? Ok lol.

720p Video, zoom and sharpen on photoshop and you can just about make out certain shapes that correspond to the numbers for that particular block (e.g. I can just about make out what looks to be a 3 in the second last number on the K line and the actual code there is 3D :))

It's deliberately hard to see though, even CSI couldn't prove beyond doubt it's the actual key with their image wizardy :D

720p Video, zoom and sharpen on photoshop and you can just about make out certain shapes that correspond to the numbers for that particular block (e.g. I can just about make out what looks to be a 3 in the second last number on the K line and the actual code there is 3D :))

It's deliberately hard to see though, even CSI couldn't prove beyond doubt it's the actual key with their image wizardy :D

That's my point, there only has to be one digit in it different, or blurred, & it's no longer the key. That's why I think posting it while the photo is unverified as showing it isn't necessarily wise.

So because it could be used for piracy he should have kept it to himself? There are lots of things out there that can be used for illegal things but have legitimate uses too.

What would eradicate the need for backups is if game companies realised that there is a need for a disc exchange program, even with a nominal fee attached, where a user wouldn't have to be protective of their original disc. You hand in the scratched to bits one that your dog ate and get a fresh one in the post for €5 all in. Then the old *backup* "excuse" would be well and truly voided.

Then there's the question of hard drive loading - undoubtedly faster and quieter than loading randomly from an optical drive. Why don't Sony have this option? The 360 does, and it's fantastic. One large hard drive, one whole disc read and then you only need the disc in for spot security checks.

Again, it'll only help get rid of the backups POV that is currently a very valid reason for hacking your PS3

Funnily enough, they're managing quite well on the xbox 360 and piracy has been rife on that platform for many years. That's not to belittle their predicament, they will lose money, but developers have options. Serial codes with online/phone activation is a solution - a nasty one, but a solution nonetheless. Quit relying on the security of the device to be adequate.

Not really your issue if you're keeping it all legal, that's the point of DRM isn't it? You can expect with a massive userbase they'll try implement the most effective DRM with minimal impact on the end users.

Why is this a concern at all? The whole thing is a cat and mouse game. Old consoles broken wide open, new console secure for a while and then hacked - rinse and repeat. Again, this isn't an issue for you if you keep it legal.

How are you suffering? What can you not do now that you used to be able to? How do you know OtherOS wasn't a significant feature? Why do you not care Sony removed a previously advertised feature from their product - it's like saying your TV can't tune in RTE anymore after you've had it 4 years - bull****!

Geohot may be egotistical and in it for the glory, but he's a researcher. He researched, he made some finding and he released them. Now he's being hunted but is fighting back, and fair play to him for it.

I'm not going to go down the road of quoting every little point that someone has made, it's tedious to say the least.
    • You all seem to be talking about it from your own perspective. Just because you may not use it for piracy, it doesn't mean other people won't.
    • The PS3 being hacked is no better or worse than the other consoles having it done to them. The consoles in most cases aren't being hacked just for CFW or whatever the 360 equivalent is. They are being hacked so people can get free games. You can't spin that.
    • Serial codes and phone activiation is not a solution to stop pirated games. It's a punishment for those who have been buying games legitimately. Also, just because the 360 hasn't suffered that much, it doesn't make it right.
    • Sony do regularly bring out FW updates, mostly for the addition of new features. But now, there is a strong possibility that development of new features will cease and we will be constantly having to sit through security updates.
    • You are support Robin GeoHot Hood and thus supporting piracy. As I've already mentioned, the info he released helped pave the way to game backups. And he knew this.
    • I couldn't care less about your CFW and I'm sure Sony couldn't either. The issue for them is piracy. While I fully support any legitmate means of backing up your games, If you wipe your arse with your stuff, tough **** to you. Take care of your ****ing ****. Backing up your stuff isn't intended to allow you to get free games, every time you use a CD as a coaster. Also, in a world where you can trade in your games, what's to stop someone from trading in their game and just keeping the backup?!?!?!

I'm not going to go down the road of quoting every little point that someone has made, it's tedious to say the least

Well, em, we're countering your points, so if you don't want to hear other people views, a public discussion forum isn't the best place for you really.

Yes I view it from my perspective, I'm me, and I'm on the side that belives you own your hardware - in this case the PS3. I'm on the side that believes in buying & owning something your free to do whatever you wish to.

We can't spin what? That consoles are hacked for piracy? Strange then that there were no real efforts to hack the PS3 while OtherOS was present. Strange then, that all this kicked off when the Slim was released with no OtherOS. Spin that.

Serial codes have existed on the pc for years as a piracy counter measure. They're completely ineffective, & a waste of time. Cunning though from Sony's point of view, it's an easy way to turn closed minded people against evil hackers.

Sony bring out regular updates, mostly for the addition of new features? Lol, you've got to be kidding man seriously :pac::pac::pac:

So by supporting GeoHot's fight for the freedom of speech, one is supporting piracy? Explain to me how the metldr key enables piracy on a firmware 3.55 then?

If Sony don't care about CFW, why are they looking for the identities of everyone who watched GeoHot's 3.55 CFW youtube video? You support legitimate means of backing up games for archival purposes?? That very act is illegal, you must be a big pirate are you :D

Software is rife on the 360 as TV mentioned, yet the experience is generally very positive and non intrusive, unlike Sony's approach. It seems Microsoft just have a better way of doing things.

• Advertisement

tough **** to you. Take care of your ****ing ****.

Oh, and lay off the expletives will you :)

Advertisement