Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Sim Cards

Options
  • 13-02-2011 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Currently I have 2 phones, work and private but would rather have just the one phone.

Can anyone tell me if there is a dual sim card ( already have an Android unlocked ) that will recognize both cards at once, rather than having to switch between them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

slimboyfat wrote: »
    Currently I have 2 phones, work and private but would rather have just the one phone.

Can anyone tell me if there is a dual sim card ( already have an Android unlocked ) that will recognize both cards at once, rather than having to switch between them?

There are a few, details here.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

ViewSonic have just released a dual SIM phone that will be shown off in the coming days at MWC. Might have to wait a while before its released though. It runs Android too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

There are a few, details here.

There's alot of smart a***es around here today!

If you haven't relaised, this IS a forum where you can ASK questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

If you haven't relaised, this IS a forum where you can ASK questions.
    Yes, but it is a fair point also. When one posts to a forum such as this or on a related mailing list, for example, it is generally considered good netiquette to have made an effort to have found the answer on your own.

If it is clear that even a simple Google search would have given you your answer, then what you are essentially saying is that you are too lazy to make an effort and expect others to give up their time to make that effort for you. No one wants to feel that they are being used by someone like that, after all.

From what I can see and the question you asked, it is something that could be answered with a simple Google search, so unless you are looking for something more specific, I think it perfectly justified that someone rebuke you. If you are looking for something more specific, you realistically need to explain yourself.

An interesting article on why you got this response can be found here, if you're interested.

Otherwise perhaps asking a more specific question or doing a bit of prior research may be warranted.

Yes, but it is a fair point also. When one posts to a forum such as this or on a related mailing list, for example, it is generally considered good netiquette to have made an effort to have found the answer on your own.

If it is clear that even a simple Google search would have given you your answer, then what you are essentially saying is that you are too lazy to make an effort and expect others to give up their time to make that effort for you. No one wants to feel that they are being used by someone like that, after all.

From what I can see and the question you asked, it is something that could be answered with a simple Google search, so unless you are looking for something more specific, I think it perfectly justified that someone rebuke you. If you are looking for something more specific, you realistically need to explain yourself.

An interesting article on why you got this response can be found here, if you're interested.

Otherwise perhaps asking a more specific question or doing a bit of prior research may be warranted.

Whats the point in fourms if you cant ask a question?

Did you even consider the fact that I may have done a search here but couldn't find an answer ( try it and see what comes up ) , I posted a question to get other people's views on the matter but that seems to be frowned upon, the only replies I get are smart arse answers.

So if anybody wants to ask a questions here, you must google it first then?

RTFM- Your just as bad as the rest of them :mad:

• Advertisement

Whats the point in fourms if you cant ask a question?

I know in future NOT TO ASK HERE ANYWAY, I WILL JUST ****ING GOOGLE IT INSTEAD. :mad:
    I would ask that you try to keep your responses civil. What I'm saying to you will seriously help you in the future where it comes to interacting with others online.

I don't think you understand what has been said to you. No one is suggesting that asking a question should not be a port of call, only that it should not be the first port of call.

If you try to find the answer by yourself and fail, by all means ask, but posters here are not Google, we are not an automated search engine or being paid to answer your questions. If you want that kind of service, feel free to find a paid one. Otherwise, people who answer questions here are doing you a favour.

In short, no one likes a freeloader and people who make no effort and expect others to do everything for them are freeloaders. All you got was a friendly, if condescending, slap on the wrist, which if you learn something from will help you in the future.

And if you don't like or understand that, then you are welcome to not ask here again.

Did you even consider the fact that I may have done a search here but couldn't find an answer ( try it and see what comes up ) , I posted a question to get other people's views on the matter but that seems to be frowned upon, the only replies I get are smart arse answers.
    It's obvious you made practically no effort in any prior search - the lmgtfy.com link demonstrated this.
    So if anybody wants to ask a questions here, you must google it first then?
    Short answer is yes.
    RTFM- Your just as bad as the rest of them :mad:
    I've actually tried to be both polite and helpful, so there's no need for that. Any further personal attacks or outbursts and you will not be posting here again. Final warning.

I will go elsewhere to ask such questions in future, thanks for all you help.

An interesting article on why you got this response can be found here, if you're interested

To be honest, I found that rather insulting coming from a Mod and hence my response.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

I tend to agree with you Slimboy.Surely boards is a better way of asking a question,in that you get different people giving their views/experiences on a subject.And for anyone who may find a person asking a question insulting,get a life.I havent been on Boards very long but my opinion is that some take it way too serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

To be fair, while also being terribly careful to try and avoid the politics here :p, I'd actually like to hear thoughts and views on the original question.

The OP asked about a 'dual sim card', not dual sim phones. I have a phone I'm perfectly happy with, I'm not willing to sacrifice my handset to avail of dual sim functionality, but would be interested to hear about options for a dual sim set up which might be used in it.

I'm aware of some of the various options for dual sim adaptors on the market, some of the newer models now offering switching from a phone menu rather than having to power on/off the phone (which is pretty handy).

I don't believe it'd actually be worth the effort for me when I couldn't get active dual sim (which I assume does require specific hardware and therefore a specific dual sim phone?), but I would like to hear if anyone has first hand experience with the various options out there and can give any positives (or even more importantly the negatives) of the various options.

Well after much 'googling' and a look on here too, I think I may have found my answer, I would need an active dual sim, while there is a phone that can do this, from my much searching there is no sim that can do what I need.

Dual-sim as in have two sets of contacts on the same SIM card? How would it be possible to fit two SIM cards in to one adapter and keep it the original SIM size? I'm not even trying to be smart here...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Yeah I thought that but like how would a phone that reads one SIM only be able to read two? The little chip part on the phone only has space to read one...

mickob16 wrote: »
    I tend to agree with you Slimboy.Surely boards is a better way of asking a question,in that you get different people giving their views/experiences on a subject.And for anyone who may find a person asking a question insulting,get a life.I havent been on Boards very long but my opinion is that some take it way too serious.
    The only thing I think people take too seriously here is perceived slights against them.

Boards, or any Internet forum, is a good way to ask questions, but it should not be considered an entitlement. By this I mean that those who are here, from posters responding through to moderators and so on are volunteers, and so we all take an interest in these discussions, even if they are not directly related.

As a result, the last thing we want is for boards to end up looking like the log files of a search engine, cluttered with the lazy questions of those who treat free communities as if they are paid services. This would negatively effect the quality of information here.

You won't find this attitude simply here, but pretty much everywhere on the Web, so frankly if someone is unable or unwilling, out of pride or whatever, to learn from the experience of this thread and demonstrate to those that they are seeking help from that they're not simply a freeloader, then they're going to find similar responses elsewhere in the future.

Now, while the OP appears to have learned his answer, if nothing else, the thread still contains merit as the topic is actually being debated beyond the original question. I'll leave it open for now, but will not tolerate any further discussion or comment, direct or indirect, on this side issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

LukeS_ wrote: »
    Yeah I thought that but like how would a phone that reads one SIM only be able to read two? The little chip part on the phone only has space to read one...
    Think of it like a 4 plug extension lead.

It takes the information required from the chip, where two chips can be fitted when cut to size, and then 'repositions' it to be read in the phone (probably a fairly horrid description tbh, but hopefully it makes sense). The only problem with them is that they can only read from one sim at a time, due to the hardware, hence the need for specific handsets if you want active dual sim.

I've also stumbled across in the past something even more akin to the gang leads. These ones don't require 'trimming' of the original sims (so less chance of ruining an existing sim) but does need a little more room inside of the phone case (there's basically a single sim that fits into the sim card slot as normal, then a little extension cable that goes to a holder for 2 normal sized sim cards) so probably only workable with certain handsets due to the room needed around the battery/inside the case.

Advertisement