Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford CC?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭smush76

Popped along for spin with the sportif gang tonight, forgot to ask if any boardsies were present. Really enjoyed it and a very friendly bunch aswell. will defo join up again in a few weeks when I have a bit more time on my hands. Thanks again for having me along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

smush76 wrote: »
    Popped along for spin with the sportif gang tonight, forgot to ask if any boardsies were present. Really enjoyed it and a very friendly bunch aswell. will defo join up again in a few weeks when I have a bit more time on my hands. Thanks again for having me along.

Jaysus lads, you must have left very sharpish ...! I was there at exactly 6:30 and ye were gone. Hope it was a good one (where did you go), I'll try to be early next time.

I bumped into Quigs Snr and a mate a bit further out towards Butlerstown and tagged along with them for 50k or so - well, more like they dragged me along a bit slower than they wanted. ! Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Blaaman, the lads hit the road at 6.30, what with the still shortish evenings.....
    You would need to be there 6.20 and have plenty of time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I've been out twice with them, first time I had to follow and find them, second time the group left on the dot of 6:30. Great group and will be joining up (they meet just up from my apt so pretty handy) great range of riders and very friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

+1 Paid my membership on Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Pleasure having you along with us blaaman. You are selling yourself very short there though, whether you realise it or not you were putting the boot in on some sections, we were looking at each other saying who the f*** is this guy ! After you left we were saying that you were stronger than some of the guys we know who are racing at the moment so I don't think you have much to fear from those events that you are targetting. You could do them in the morning on the form you have. Unfortunately my buddy tonight is an A1 (which is an entirely different world altogether) who likes hills and to be fair we couldn't have picked a hillier route !

That piece of road going into passage is still closed by the way. I narrowly avoided going up to my axles in fresh tar there.

These Sportif lads are very punctual though I must say. Rolled along with them for a few miles at the start of a ride on Tuesday night. Good bunch, lot of new faces since the last time I bumped into them.

I was there on Tuesday Quigs snr but didnt really get peoples names. You probably passed me going the opposite direction in Portlaw - lost everyone and took the first exit instead of the second!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Pleasure having you along with us blaaman. You are selling yourself very short there though, whether you realise it or not you were putting the boot in on some sections, we were looking at each other saying who the f*** is this guy ! After you left we were saying that you were stronger than some of the guys we know who are racing at the moment so I don't think you have much to fear from those events that you are targetting. You could do them in the morning on the form you have. Unfortunately my buddy tonight is an A1 (which is an entirely different world altogether) who likes hills and to be fair we couldn't have picked a hillier route !

That piece of road going into passage is still closed by the way. I narrowly avoided going up to my axles in fresh tar there.

These Sportif lads are very punctual though I must say. Rolled along with them for a few miles at the start of a ride on Tuesday night. Good bunch, lot of new faces since the last time I bumped into them.

:o:o
    cheers, but endurance at that pace is my problem, and one I'll have to work on! I'm ok up to about 50k and then really suffer

aquanaut wrote: »
    I was there on Tuesday Quigs snr but didnt really get peoples names. You probably passed me going the opposite direction in Portlaw - lost everyone and took the first exit instead of the second!

Ah, you were the guy who came towards us in Portlaw ! We just went up church hill after that and then made our own way across to Kill, Bonmahon, Tramore etc... I'm not sure where the Sportif lads went after Portlaw, sounds like you didn't get back onto them. I would have been in black kit on a small black Cervelo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gem11

Do you guys have any female members in the club or is it predominently male?

gem11 wrote: »
    Do you guys have any female members in the club or is it predominently male?

There are plenty of female members!
    There is an introductory spin this Sunday at 10am from Woodies for interested parties....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gem11

Oh good, I wasn't sure....I just started cycling a few weeks ago. The most I've done so far is 40k. I have a hybrid. I'm sorry now I didn't get a road bike instead. Would I need to upgrade to a road bike before joining the club? I wouldn't manage the group 2 spin distance....hopefully the group 3 one :)

gem11 wrote: »
    Oh good, I wasn't sure....I just started cycling a few weeks ago. The most I've done so far is 40k. I have a hybrid. I'm sorry now I didn't get a road bike instead. Would I need to upgrade to a road bike before joining the club? I wouldn't manage the group 2 spin distance....hopefully the group 3 one :)

The intro spins are group 1. (beginner level in SWCC)

I'm looking to hook up with the mtbers, what where who and how?

I know ye head out on a wed but the website seems outa date re current outings. Just got the bike serviced so gotta get my money's worth.
    I haven't been out on any Waterford truffle hunts yet so would like to go in a group to see the sights without fear of getting lost in the Waterford wilderness, its wild enough down here as it is. If ye are anything like the roadies it should be fast and fun...

Cheers

Edit~ To clarify I'm aiming this at the sportif cc riders in particular, but if anyone wants to show a blow in some trails I'd be happy to come along for the ride!

Whacker, do you have access to the club forum? Will let you know if anything goes up, I know the lads did Carrickbyrne in Wexford on Tuesday. I will be out on midweek spins now that schools are shut (wife teaches in evenings) but thats with the roadies

• Advertisement

Nice one, see you tues if your out. Didn't you sell your mtb for a road bike a while back?

Bouldwhacker, there's a couple of lads heading out in Portlaw 9.30 this Saturday morning for an MTB spin up to the masts.
    http://goo.gl/maps/Y2zT is where they generally meet up.
    I won't be there myself.
    If you need anymore info re joing up on another spin, drop me a PM or see us on the SWCC blog.

Nice one, see you tues if your out. Didn't you sell your mtb for a road bike a while back?

Yeah. Meant i'll be out with the roadies. Have a possible loan of mtb from neighbour or gman2k some Tuesday though

Cant do weekends really, gf etc takes it up, but the weekdays are all mine so the wed spins are all I could go to with any regularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rubs

Is there a new club after setting up in Waterford called Waterford CC?...just saw some of the results from races on Irish Cycling and the riders are neither Comeragh or Sportiff but down as Waterfordd CC...anyone shed any light??

• Advertisement

Ok, I can shed some light. There is indeed a new club. Waterford CC is not actually it's name however.... We submitted an application on Cycling Ireland's website a few weeks ago using the working title of Waterford CC (a defunct club since the 90's which some of our riders originated from) with made up email and web addresses as a test to see what was technically involved in registering the club. I didn't realise that this had actually been subsequently entered on the CI system however.

Although some of us did come from Waterford CC many moons back, most of us did not and it was felt by the majority of our members that we needed a name which would better reflect what the new club is about, hence the club is actually going to be initially called Waterford Racing Club, or Waterford RC. It's a name and a mission statement all in one. Due to a delay in processing up in cycling Ireland (they've been crazy busy with the champs the last couple of weeks), we were unable to get the name changed on their system in time for the champs and had to race under the Waterford CC name for the weekend.

The club is focussed on cycle sports and all are welcome, with the caveat that we cater to the highest common denominator in terms of pace on training rides - this does not mean that every training spin is like a stage of the RAS, but it does imply some level of basic fitness to begin with, or a desire to achieve same. We are not trying to be all things to all people, we are not going to try to cater to everyone at this point. It is a racing club first and foremost and unapologetically so. It is small right now, perhaps 15 members which are comprised mostly of racers (at all levels from A1 to A4 and Junior) and strong sportif riders.

Basically the club spins will be based around a periodised preparation for a racing season with easy spins in Autumn giving way to longer harder ones by xmas etc....

Stay tuned for a website and some further details in the next couple of weeks. Any questions, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rubs

cheers quigs, sounds interesting, keep us all posted...however the most important question will be....whats the kit gonna look like:rolleyes:...best of luck

Well, the new kit is being kept reasonably generic for now. We will introduce sponsors at a later date so we are keeping the kit plain enough that we can continue to use it later on in training etc... We wanted the Waterford Colours somewhere on the jersey as we have Waterford in the name, so a bit of blue and white, but not too much as we didn't want to clash with the Sportif club's colours, so we ended up going mostly black for now. Here's a sneak preview. It's reasonably average as Jersies go but it will do the job for the last few weeks of the season.

picture.php?albumid=1466&pictureid=9955

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

That looks really good. I like the little Tricolour on the collar.

Sweet colours Quigs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 bikelover

will you guys be catering for youths ?

bikelover, all are welcome and I would like to say yes, but I would qualify that first. From a training perspective there are one or two youths with us, but they are able to train at a level that allows them to stick with (and indeed perform very well against) the senior riders. There is no specific training ride for youths at this time. That doesn't mean youths aren't welcome, of course they are, but depending on their current level and what they are looking to achieve, they may find the going a little hard.

Sportif Waterford have catered for younger riders very well since they started, so that is a strong option also. Feel free to contact me directly via PM to let me know what you have in mind, tell me a bit about the rider etc... I'll be happy to answer your questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 trihy

Quigs, where and at what time do ye meet to train?

Anyone fancy a spin this evening?

Advertisement