Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAT People Losing Weight On TV

Options
  • 13-02-2011 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Why is TV obsessed with programmes about FAT people losing weight.

I for one have no desire to see such a thing.

What about you?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

It makes the masses feel better about themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭The Davestator

A high percentage of people in this country are obese - they're tuning in to even fatter people than them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

imme wrote: »

Feel bad saying this but me neither.
    It makes the masses feel better about themselves.

Grain of truth right here.

I have successfully lost weight in the past and was a complete lone ranger about the whole thing (by choice). I don't go in for all that motivational "You can do it" BS, I was very determined to go it alone. Though, I should point out I was never obese to start with, unlike the people on these types of shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

This kind of programming is a fat load of nonsense imo

/gets coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

This thread will descend into anti-fat comments getting bashed but thanked by the massed, and the fatties thanking the anti-anti-fat comments.

• Advertisement

This thread will descend into anti-fat comments getting bashed but thanked by the massed, and the fatties thanking the anti-anti-fat comments.

Maybe, but being anti programmes like these isn't being anti-fat. Many of these shows are humiliating for the contestants. Operation Transformation isn't too bad though. Still don't know why anyone would choose to lose weight with the public glare on them. If that's what you need to get motivated, what will happen when the cameras are no longer there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Cybertron85

People love to watch fat/ugly/deformed/sick people on telly, makes that big potato nose seem a little easier to look at in the mirror.

Without pretending to be on a high horse I can honestly say I don't watch trash like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP, why are you capitalising the word 'fat'? Is it some sort of acronym you've made up?

In answer to your question, it's do make people feel better about their weight problems. Can't weight for the next anorexia-based TV show*.

*Not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I saw the overweight RTE show during the week. It's so stupid. This morbidly obese people trying to lose 2-3lbs a week. The show isn't even educating people. Diets are not a solution, you need to completely change your way of life for ever. Then there are shows that show the latest exercise that worked for some celebrity and people try them for 2 weeks, get no results out of it and give up.
    Also tuning in to watch a tv show about fat people not doing all that much is just utterly crap, boring and pointless tv.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

im me wrote: »

What about you?

As it costs millions of euros to help people who are obese and a lot of them sit around and watch tv & most of them millions comes from the tax payer it is in the country's interests that we have a better & healthier society.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

imme wrote: »

What about you?

Don't watch it then

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

Man, the funniest thing I saw on Operation Transformation was lastweek ... they had a "personal trainer" on it that took part in the previous season's show. She was still fat, like proper fat ... I couldn't believe it. I actually burst out laughing! Only in Ireland could someone call themselfs a personal trainer and still be the size of a ****ing whale.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Lowest common demoninator.
    The masses like to see things that make them feel better about themselves, and allow them to feel superior to what they see on telly.

That's why there are shows about fat people struggling to lose weight and travellers getting married at 14 in ridiculous outfits. People can sit back and feel happy that while they couldn't spell "ridiculous" or "obese" if their lives depended on it, at least they're not as fat as those guys. A warm, comforting feeling of smugness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

messymess wrote: »
    Man, the funniest thing I saw on Operation Transformation was lastweek ... they had a "personal trainer" on it that took part in the previous season's show. She was still fat, like proper fat ... I couldn't believe it. I actually burst out laughing! Only in Ireland could someone call themselfs a personal trainer and still be the size of a ****ing whale.

In a country with an obese minister for health, what would you expect? ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

In fairness she was not the size of a ****ing whale.

I saw the show last week and don't know who he is talking about. There was a contestant from the first series but I don't ever recall her saying she was personal trainer? Did she say that, and am I remembering it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

TV has become infatuated with one thing - HUMILIATION

The general public have a perverse attraction to seeing people humiliated on tv. Whether its borderline mentally unstable people on The X Factor, shows about physical 'freaks', morbidly obese people, people who have filthy homes or who cant do simple things e.g. Britain's worst driver/cook/parents etc.

I think TV gives a good insight into the mentality of a society and quite frankly, judging by what people watch, society has become mean, aggresive and selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

I saw the show last week and don't know who he is talking about. There was a contestant from the first series but I don't ever recall her saying she was personal trainer? Did she say that, and am I remembering it wrong?

".... qualified as a personal trainer"

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1091254

3:40 - 4:30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I don't have a tv but I do love those fat shows. The best one was supersize vrs superskinny. I love it when it shows what they eat during the week.

Other than that I watch shows like House and QI (yeah, I love stephen fry and hugh laurie), documentries but mostly whatever other people put on in their houses, which is were I watch the fatties.

Guilty pleaure really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

ya she was the "size of a whale" - I'm surprised she fit on the tv screen :rolleyes: in all fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Only in Ireland could someone call themselfs a personal trainer and still be the size of a ****ing whale.

Probably not only in Ireland.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/01/fashion/thursdaystyles/01FITNESS.html

It's a big world out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Probably not only in Ireland.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/01/fashion/thursdaystyles/01FITNESS.html

It's a big world out there.

There's a line inthat article that points out how ridiculous fat personal trainers and gym staff are - going to a fat personal trainer is like going to a mechanic with a broken down car, or a financial advisor living in poverty.

As stated, most people are either fat or just unfit, so seeing these extra-fat people makes them feel less disgusted with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I think the programmes are totally unhealthy, they push people too hard and don't encourage them in any way. Some fella lost a stone and a half in one week on one of those programmes. That can't be healthy!

And once they get back home it'd be impossible to keep up that kind of strict regime, so the weight would pile back on. There needs to be aftercare involved.

(Watching fatties struggle to run 10 miles while being screamed at by a skinny, smug woman is really boring too, but someone's obviously watching)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Welcome to the internet where everyone exagerrates and they themselves are an adonis. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

I saw the overweight RTE show during the week. It's so stupid. This morbidly obese people trying to lose 2-3lbs a week. The show isn't even educating people. Diets are not a solution, you need to completely change your way of life for ever. Then there are shows that show the latest exercise that worked for some celebrity and people try them for 2 weeks, get no results out of it and give up.
    Also tuning in to watch a tv show about fat people not doing all that much is just utterly crap, boring and pointless tv.

Firstly the name of the show is OPERATION TRANSFORMATION - and it's definatly a tansformation for these people. If you actually paid any attention to the show you would have realised that it is about changing their way of life and educating the people on the show and viewers interested. If you watched the show from the start (6 weeks ago) you would have seen the change in all people involved. I'm on said show and am finding it the best diet for me and the support from everyone is brilliant. I have lost a huge amount of weight, which I would still be carrying if it wasn't for the show.

If the show doesn't tickle your fancy -then don't watch it, save your energy and complain about something else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Shenshen wrote: »
    Lowest common demoninator.
    The masses like to see things that make them feel better about themselves, and allow them to feel superior to what they see on telly.

That's why there are shows about fat people struggling to lose weight and travellers getting married at 14 in ridiculous outfits. People can sit back and feel happy that while they couldn't spell "ridiculous" or "obese" if their lives depended on it, at least they're not as fat as those guys. A warm, comforting feeling of smugness.
    I find your post looking down on "the masses" rather ironic.
    I agree though that those programmes are likely watched by overweight people (from all walks of life) as they relate to them or it makes them feel better about their own situations. My mum and a friend of mine fecking love them. Neither are obese but both are a bit overweight (about size 14 and 14-16).
    I think those shows seem awful - and the weight-loss programmes dodgy (weight loss is much, much too quick) and unsustainable in ordinary situations. As someone else here said, what do they do when the cameras stop rolling and they're left to their own devices? I heard of a British kid who lost 15 stone on one of those boot camp TV shows in the U.S. - she returned to Britain and put all the weight back on and more.
    That said though, I know of someone embarking on weight loss in a very public way (Facebook, Twitter etc, backed by a gym) and she says it was not an easy decision but the best way to motivate herself and there's far less likelihood of her slipping when she's under the spotlight.
    There's a line inthat article that points out how ridiculous fat personal trainers and gym staff are - going to a fat personal trainer is like going to a mechanic with a broken down car, or a financial advisor living in poverty.
    It's ironic all right, but in my opinion, once they do their job well, that's ultimately all that matters if you're paying them and looking for a good product/service.
    I didn't see that programme but I've no doubt the comment about the now personal trainer being "like a whale" means she's size 14. Actually, if anyone is gonna know a good deal about fitness, it's someone who has lost several stone via healthy eating and exercise, even if they're not slim yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

phasers wrote: »
    Some fella lost a stone and a half in one week on one of those programmes. That can't be healthy!
    Although if a person, especially a man, is REALLY obese, there is actually scope at the start of a weight-loss programme for a huge amount of weight to be lost in a short period of time - due to the drastic change. But yeah, that pace shouldn't last long, yet on those shows, it's sustained over several weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

For every 1 morbidly obese person there are 100,000 morbidly curious viewers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭macquarie

Does anyone else find it hilarious that one of the women on operation transformation this year owns a cake shop ?

Advertisement