Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Jamie O'Hara looking for a call up for Ireland...?

• 13-02-2011 1:03pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Here is a bit from a interview he did a couple of days ago.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/11/jamie-ohara-wolves
    Richard Stearman is a great player with the ball at his feet. He'll go on to play for England."

This is something O'Hara himself is unlikely to do now and not just for reasons of mid-20s career-drift. Capped seven times by England at Under-21 level, he is also eligible to play for the Republic of Ireland. There have already been overtures from the country of his grandparents. "It's obviously quite hard to talk about that now," he says. "I've got Irish in me and they've asked me before. If I get the phone call about playing for my country I'll have to think about it again. I just want to play now."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Sounds like it, i've never really been his biggest fan but thinking about it now i wouldn't mind him being given a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

His style suits the type of player that Trap wants more than McCarthy. Would be a good addition to the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Good at set pieces, bit of creativity and flair about him too. Would be a good addition to the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

we should take as many players as possible and that includes McCarthy as Trap wont be there forever(thank god)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

We could do with him but i don't want him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

If he is then get him in.

Although I suspect if Messi was Irish, Trappatoni wouldn't play him because he isn't a clogger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Whoever is eligible for us should be approached to play for us. We're not in any position to be choosy and provided the guy does his best in a green shirt I don't care where he was born. Being Irish is more than just where yore Ma was when you arrived.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Sounds like he has had his lets see if ive a chance with England phase, he does see himself as part Irish and wants to play International football. It's a pity he considers himself more English but he def considers himself Irish also from those comments and he is good enough so imo should be considerd.

Trap might not be bringing them in at the speed everyone would like but with the Likes of O'Hara, Clarke, Coleman & McCarthy in the squad our next campaign could look a lot more promising.

not that Coleman has any nationality questions being born in Donegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Would be a great addition to the squad, he was fantastic for pompey and never given a chance at spurs. Would love to see a line up like this when all are fit.

Given
    O'Shea---Dunne
    St Ledger--Clark
    Coleman---McCarthy--O'Hara----Duff
    Keane
    Doyle

Subs: Westwood, O'Dea, Whelan, Gibson, Hunt, Long, Stokes.

no place for McGeady, Fahey, Kelly, Best, Lawrence, Walters, Foley, Green Wilson, Keogh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Didn't he say before he will wait and see what happens with England and then maybe go with Ireland? Not the best attitude but I would definitely take him, combined with McCarthy in the center thats a fairly tasty midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Almost any English player playing in the top flight these days would fancey getting a call up to the England squad -far cry from the late 80s. Doubt Townsend and co would have played for "Eire"!! I remember when Collymore and Chris Armstrong were linked to Ireland in the 90's cause they couldnt get near the England squad. How times have changed! Surprised Kevin Nolan hasnt got a call up to the England squad yet. Also the big carrot for English players choosing to play for Ireland was world cup football which hasnt been on a table for a long time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Almost any English player playing in the top flight these days would fancey getting a call up to the England squad -far cry from the late 80s. Doubt Townsend and co would have played for "Eire"!! I remember when Collymore and Chris Armstrong were linked to Ireland in the 90's cause they couldnt get near the England squad. How times have changed! Surprised Kevin Nolan hasnt got a call up to the England squad yet. Also the big carrot for English players choosing to play for Ireland was world cup football which hasnt been on a table for a long time!

Nolan should certainly have been called up this season, but Capello doesn't know that life exists north of Manchester so that's why he hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

He could've declared for us a few years ago, but he was still keeping his cards to his chest and waiting for a Capello call.

Don't want phonies like him getting caps for us now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Would be a decent addition. Hope he gets the Irish call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

An O'Hara and McCarthy/Meyler midfield would be a dream come true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

He would be a useful addition but I'd prefer our midfield slots to be given to the likes of Meyler, McCarthy, Gibson, Wilson, Fahey, Clifford/Henderson in the future if they can develop and even Whelan.

Whelan gets a lot of stick but every team needs player who will role up his sleeves for 90+ minutes to make tackles and be available for a pass etc, the trouble is that his partners have generally been Andrews and Green so Whelan gets tarred with the same brush as those.

Having said that, if it's a case of O'Hara, Green or Andrews I would be appalled if O'Hara didn't get the nod!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

He's already punched well above his weight with Danielle Lloyd (though not before half his team mates had a go) so he really should stop dreaming of an England call up.

He'd be a great addition to our squad, I always liked him at Spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Dub13 wrote: »
    Here is a bit from a interview he did a couple of days ago.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/11/jamie-ohara-wolves

fcuk him he turned us down the first time he doesnt deserve a 2nd chance.kevin kilbane english born irish at heart he even knows the anthem thats the commitment you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

I like O Hara. Would take him in a heartbeat

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Apparently he will wait till the end of the season before making his decision. If he needs to wait that long - good luck with ya!!
    You either want to play for us or you don't - touch on fella!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

This isnt a new story , there was talk about him declaring for us last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Would be a very good addition to the squad, however he'd wanna make his mind up soon.
    The likes of Gibson/Whelan/Andrews aren't going to be happy with him taking their place when he was clearly waiting on an England call all this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

I think he should fcuk off,wasn't he waiting to see if he was capped by England before he wanted to play for Ireland?Good player but wouldn't like him to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

KerranJast wrote: »
    Whoever is eligible for us should be approached to play for us. We're not in any position to be choosy and provided the guy does his best in a green shirt I don't care where he was born. Being Irish is more than just where yore Ma was when you arrived.

While I agree with you to a large extent, why stop there, should you not be able to play, support even, whatever country you want to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

OPENROAD wrote: »
    While I agree with you to a large extent, why stop there, should you not be able to play, support even, whatever country you want to?
    There are eligibility rules. He qualifies so its fair game. The bigger country are worse than us at this kind of stuff. Holland, Portugal, Germany and even England with Hargreaves have capped players not from their homeland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I think he should fcuk off,wasn't he waiting to see if he was capped by England before he wanted to play for Ireland?Good player but wouldn't like him to play.

You must have a gripe with most of the Irish team so?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

KerranJast wrote: »
    There are eligibility rules. He qualifies so its fair game. The bigger country are worse than us at this kind of stuff. Holland, Portugal, Germany and even England with Hargreaves have capped players not from their homeland.

Fair enough but I think you have to credit/acknowledge(the media and fans) the country where the chap was born and brought up,lives and plays his football . Because we haven't really produced that player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

O'Hara is a massive step up in class from Whelan, Andrews and Gibson. If he played a pivotal role in us qualifying for a major tournament that would be long forgotten.

SantryRed wrote: »
    You must have a gripe with most of the Irish team so?

It's not the fact he's English,no problem with that.O'Hara blatantly was waiting to see if England would cap him.I want players who want to play for Ireland.

• Advertisement

O'Hara is a massive step up in class from Whelan, Andrews and Gibson. If he played a pivotal role in us qualifying for a major tournament that would be long forgotten.

Give me James McCarthy any day ahead of him.A player who even though isn't born Irish,wants to play for Ireland.Unlike O'Hara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It's not the fact he's English,no problem with that.O'Hara blatantly was waiting to see if England would cap him.I want players who want to play for Ireland.

Yeah because he's good enough to be capped by them!! Don't try and tell me that the likes of Kilbane chose Ireland over England. The fact is they chose Ireland because they knew they hadn't a hope of making the English set up.

Yeah because he's good enough to be capped by them!! Don't try and tell me that the likes of Kilbane chose Ireland over England. The fact is they chose Ireland because they knew they hadn't a hope of making the English set up.

Fair point but I just I don't like the way he's gone about it.And he must think he's good enough or he would have declared for Ireland by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I can't see the problem with him taking his time over the decision. Put yourself in his place - he grew up in England, has English-born parents and sees himself as English. He clearly wants to ride it out and cling to whatever faint hope remains that he might make their international team.

Personally, I'd hold out for as long as I could before switching national allegiences, as I suspect most people on here would.

If/when he declares, he will then be judged on the back of his performances and played/dropped accordingly. If he's not motivated to play for us, he simply won't be played. It's self selecting.

The notion of needing him to want play for Ireland over any other country is a little bit childish tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I can't see the problem with him taking his time over the decision. Put yourself in his place - he grew up in England, has English-born parents and sees himself as English. He clearly wants to ride it out and cling to whatever faint hope remains that he might make their international team.

Which is the point. The guy is English. The Irish national side does not exist as some plan B for good, but not great, English lads.
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    The notion of needing him to want play for Ireland over any other country is a little bit childish tbh.

You say childish. Others say a pre-requisite for selection.

All comes down to how you see the national side. Personally I would prefer to see 11 Irish born players who learnt their trade in Ireland. I also welcome genuine Irish diaspora like Kilbane, McGeady and McCarthy.

I know its old fashioned, but I think the jersey is demeaned in being worn by the likes of Westwood, Morrison and Townsend. Guys whose Irish ancestry came as a surprise. But more importantly than that, we do not need these guys anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've always like O'Hara. He could really give our midfield a bit of bite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

To be honest, even though I like O'Hara, it seems like he's been 'thinking' about it for the past 3 years. None of this rubbish about giving him time or anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I just like to see his missus in a Ireland top, it would make it look better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Which is the point. The guy is English. The Irish national side does not exist as some plan B for good, but not great, English lads.

You say childish. Others say a pre-requisite for selection.

All comes down to how you see the national side. Personally I would prefer to see 11 Irish born players who learnt their trade in Ireland. I also welcome genuine Irish diaspora like Kilbane, McGeady and McCarthy.

I know its old fashioned, but I think the jersey is demeaned in being worn by the likes of Westwood, Morrison and Townsend. Guys whose Irish ancestry came as a surprise. But more importantly than that, we do not need these guys anymore.

Well whatever floats your boat obviously, but I favour a scenario whereby the 11 players take the field that gives us the best chance of winning.

I have a far bigger problem supporting a team associated with an organisation fronted by a clown like John Delaney, than I would supporting a team who strengthens itself with one or two players that may be exercising a plan b in the manner you describe.

At the end of the day, the team should celebrate the country - and if the country spots weaknesses in its team and sources replacements from overseas, that makes me proud :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Dont think SAF would see it that way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Didn't Kilbane refuse to play for under-age England sides because he considered himself Irish?
    I remember him saying so in an interview

• Advertisement

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Didn't Kilbane refuse to play for under-age England sides because he considered himself Irish?

Doubt he took the piss and kept Ireland waiting aswell.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Dont think SAF would see it that way!

Why should we care what SAF thinks...?the last time I checked he was not manager of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Doubt he took the piss and kept Ireland waiting aswell.

He played for the U-21s, could've been under the radar before that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Crosáidí wrote: »

I think he was under pressure form whatever club he was aatched to at the time and had to go but turned up wearing an Irish jersey. G'wan the killer!

Advertisement