Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trad. flute buying advice

Options
  • 13-02-2011 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I'm currently in the market for a traditional flute. I've been playing for a while so I'd like a good handmade one. I've looked at and played a second hand one which I really like. However, there is a crack from the embouchure hole back to the end of the flute and another from the embouchure hole down to the end of the top piece (it's a three piece flute). These cracks have went as far as they can go, and they don't seem to affect the playing of the flute, but I'm wondering if I should avoid this flute? Does this sound like something that could become an issue down the line? Any advice or experience with such an issue is appreciated,

Many Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 philip kelly

Post this on the session too.
    You might get a quicker reply.
    phil

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

IF you buy a flute with cracks you will need to get them fixed as they will only get worse and ruin the instrument. You may not notice it now but they do affect the tone/sound from the flute. If you're going to buy a flute with cracks in it get a significant amount off the price or it's not worth it.

Preferably avoid this flute and look for one in better condition. :)

Advertisement