Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what is the best web browser

• 13-02-2011 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

at the moment im using safari I really like it simple to use and fast I also have google chrome but there seems to be some sort of conflict between my mobile broadband and chrome as everytime it runs out of credit google chrome just says that the page has a redirect loop and it wont let me go to the 3 top up page, so im looking to get rid of it but would like some advice as to what people think is the best browser

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

i used to say firefox but its such a resource hog that i much prefer chrome nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Have tried them all and can say, none are perfect. However Chrome does seem do be the best; speed and simplicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

i used to say firefox but its such a resource hog that i much prefer chrome nowadays.
    ya I was going to try firefox 4 beta but just wont work for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I'm a bit of an Opera browser fan boy, but i'm in the minority here aren't i?

There is a great picture floating around that says:

INTERNET EXPLORER,
    The number 1 browser,
    Used to download a better browser.

Sorry can't upload i'm on my mobile. FYI using opera mobile.

give Opera a try, just Google how to disable the built in torrent downloader if you use torrents.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I'm a bit of an Opera browser fan boy, but i'm in the minority here aren't i?

There is a great picture floating around that says:

INTERNET EXPLORER,
    The number 1 browser,
    Used to download a better browser.

Sorry can't upload i'm on my mobile. FYI using opera mobile.

give Opera a try, just Google how to disable the built in torrent downloader if you use torrents.
    yea I have opera on my mobile its good but I think dolphin hd is better seems faster and easier to use I love it wish they made a browser for the pc, only reason I dont use opera on my pc is because it was having conflicting problems with my U torrent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

From a former FF user, I would say chrome.

Purely for speed and useability interface reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Opera on mobile has no flash, thats the killer for me, it is fast though.

I use Chromium on my pc, converted from Firefox last year and haven't looked back, its lots faster. Chromium doesn't have Google spying built in, every Chrome has a serial number for tracking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I like Opera for most things, but also use FF-portable/ToR for iPlayer, and IE still for some things.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Firefox definately, its a resource hog but chrome gets like that with extensions anyway, chromes extensions are sh!t, the speed dial one stopped working for me for some strange reason, ad block only removed the ads once they loaded, so pages still loaded slower, also as everything you go to in the address bar (inc URLs) go through google (I think chromium doesnt do this) to spy on ya ;) I noticed it slowed down the browsing that bit more,
    Really tried to start using chrome but couldn't, Opera is actually a great browser but it lacks useful extensions last time I checked

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭James G

I've been a long time Firefox user, and am a big fan of FF4. It's at beta 11 right now, but will soon be at an RC version and then fully released, so it's not exactly unstable. If I had to choose another browser, it would be Chromium (essentially Chrome without Google tracking stuff built in).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I'd moved away from FF for a while when I started having a lot of crashes, but the latest install that I have 3.6.13 is very stable... Google Chrome is excellent also..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,781 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've used them all from Internet Explorer 1 and Netscape back in '95 :D

As my main browser, I made the switch from FF to Opera in '05 and have been very happy with Opera indeed. Imho the fastest, cleanest browser with the superb mouse gestures. I have to admit though it is not the most stable browser (but after a crash you can restart with it opening all the tabs that were open when it crashed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

unkel wrote: »

As my main browser, I made the switch from FF to Opera in '05 and have been very happy with Opera indeed. Imho the fastest, cleanest browser with the superb mouse gestures. I have to admit though it is not the most stable browser (but after a crash you can restart with it opening all the tabs that were open when it crashed)
    i never have crashes, and ive been using Opera for years. They're seriously innovative too. most things you see in other browsers were created by them. tab browsing being the most well known one.

"Opera Unite" is a seriously good idea. i dont carry any USB keys around college anymore, i just log into my personal website (made by opera) and upload (and download!) all my files to/from the PC at home, while at the same time streaming all my music, and it can be accessed via any browser.

right click on the mouse and hit "block content" is also a fantastic bit of kit. you see all those adverts on boards.ie and other websites? i dont. block stuff for 2-3 days and you would have blocked most of the ad servers in the world. clean clear browsing. no need for a plug-in or add-on or nothing chocking resources.

Opera has just added "extensions" to v11, but im yet to try them out.

did i mention fast? no browser is faster. chrome comes close, but no cigar.

god i really am a fanboy... sorry.

the only time i ever use anything else is when im on a site using heavy rendering HTML5 stuff (i use chrome here) and i use a micro version of FF to watch BBC iPlayer.
    to get to these pages, browse with Opera, right click on mouse when in a page that needs another browser, hit open with>[displays all other browsers here] no need to copy/paste urls or anything. simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

unkel wrote: »

haha you got me thinking there.. I remember Internet Explorer 4 with the **fanfare** .. active desktop.. I only wished that ONCE when I booted up the PC that I wouldnt be greeted with this..

activedesktop.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Firefox for all of the extensions. Adblock + ftw :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Icecat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Pale Moon on Windows, Opera on my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭noshankus

Another Opera fanboy checking in! Been using it for years and years now. Always loved it, always will. It's very powerful and is really clean with very little clutter. Gotta love the whole unite thing and the way you can have notes on it which can be synchronised across Opera browsers on different machines....

I use 64bit linux and have found chrome to not be fully there yet stability and usability-wise. Otherwise, I'd definitely consider giving it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I use SRWares' Iron browser. Based on Chrome. Suits me.

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

I decided to give opera a second chance its been 4 year or so sine I last used it. Its come on leaps and bounds since then ive it coupled with ashampoo internet accelerator 3 the speed is unreal if anyone wants to try ashampoo the link is here http://download.cnet.com/Ashampoo-Internet-Accelerator/3000-2155_4-10699423.html?tag=mncol;2

If you like it and want a years free licence pm me. worked wonders for me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭James G

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    right click on the mouse and hit "block content" is also a fantastic bit of kit. you see all those adverts on boards.ie and other websites? i dont.

Well... that's not very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

hmmm im no expert but i seem to click on chrome more. i like the way it has your last few screens in the opening page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

James G wrote: »
    Well... that's not very nice.

May not be but who has the flash-related headache at the end of the day, not me. No sir.

But yeah AdBlock Plus is great. The beta is out for chrome. Not like the 'unofficial' ones.

ronan45 wrote: »
    hmmm im no expert but i seem to click on chrome more. i like the way it has your last few screens in the opening page.

Cof, incognito, cof! :P

Well there is an extension called sexy undo tab (no really). Very handy.

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/bcennaiejdjpomgmmohhpgnjlmpcjmbg

Advertisement