Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I bring Mashed Spuds back from the brink?

Options
  • 13-02-2011 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

Long story short, the Mammy does make dinner hours before Im actually ready to eat it and as you all know, very few foods that go into microwaves come out the way they are supposed to.
    So, Im thinking.. if I threw my mashed spuds back into a pot of boiling water, maybe throw in a dash of salt.. could I restore them to their former glory?

If so, do tell and maybe give me an idea of how to best go about doing it.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭bikerjohn

So, Im thinking.. if I threw my mashed spuds back into a pot of boiling water, maybe throw in a dash of salt.. could I restore them to their former glory?

If so, do tell and maybe give me an idea of how to best go about doing it.

Cheers
    Thats a good idea if you want to make potato soup :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

I'd strain the jaysus outta them, though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Doesn't matter how well you strain them, it's not going to work. Just mash them up again. Maybe add a bit of hot milk or butter when you're mashing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I wouldn't use water, the spuds are already boiled! Sounds like your problem is the mash drying out after nuking them, perhaps add them to the pot with a little milk or melted butter and blend together.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

If the mashed spuds are cold add a good nub of butter and pop in the microwave, in my experience spuds cope fine with the microwave. Though they are the exception to the rule with reheating veg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭CLARiiON

Ahh I know exactly what youre talking about - mash from the mircowave, regardless of the amount of salt or butter on them, just isnt nice.

what i do, is throw on a lump of butter on the pan and fry up the potato.
    Takes as long as it would it the microwave and a million times nicer.

Very nice, peeps. Thanks very much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭CLARiiON

CLARiiON wrote: »
    Ahh I know exactly what youre talking about - mash from the mircowave, regardless of the amount of salt or butter on them, just isnt nice.

what i do, is throw on a lump of butter on the pan and fry up the potato.
    Takes as long as it would it the microwave and a million times nicer.

And nicer if take a second to make them into little cakes [circler shapes] small enough too - similar to potato cakes you'd get in a restaurant. Each 'cake' gets nice a crispy! Savage!
    Can also mix your veg into the 'cake' if you want to spoil yourself :)
    In my opinion its nicer than just throwing the mash on the frying pan in one go - but again that's just my experience!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

On the topic, anyone have suggestions for enlivening the humble ol' mashed spud? I love them myself, but after a while I yearn for something a bit different! And so far my imagination has stretched only as far as mixing them with chives!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

Einhard wrote: »
    On the topic, anyone have suggestions for enlivening the humble ol' mashed spud? I love them myself, but after a while I yearn for something a bit different! And so far my imagination has stretched only as far as mixing them with chives!

Hey, you could add loads of things to give mash potatoes a new look and taste!

add - butter, milk, white pepper and salt always to lift mash to a higher level :D then you can add a variety of things to make different side dishes

1. Spring onions/ Scallions finely chopped mixed through to make "Champ" **Personally my favourite :D**
    2. Finely chopped Cooked Kale or Cabbage to make "Colcannon"
    3. Roasted Garlic mashed up really well mixed through to make Garlic mash
    4. Lemon juice and fresh thyme added in and mixed through- Great with fish & seafood!
    5. Horseradish Mash- simply make or buy Horseradish sauce and mix through mashed potatoes - great with roast Beef
    6.Mustard & tarragon mash- either Dijon or English mustard and finely chopped fresh tarragon mixed through mash- suitable for chicken and poultry dishes.

Thats all I can think of with mash at the moment, If I had my My Chef notes (My Recipe bible) hand I could give you loads more but try out a few of these and see how you get on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Kerikosan wrote: »

add - butter, milk, white pepper and salt always to lift mash to a higher level :D then you can add a variety of things to make different side dishes

1. Spring onions/ Scallions finely chopped mixed through to make "Champ" **Personally my favourite :D**
    4. Lemon juice and fresh thyme added in and mixed through- Great with fish & seafood!
    5. Horseradish Mash- simply make or buy Horseradish sauce and mix through mashed potatoes - great with roast Beef
    6.Mustard & tarragon mash- either Dijon or English mustard and finely chopped fresh tarragon mixed through mash- suitable for chicken and poultry dishes.

Thats all I can think of with mash at the moment, If I had my My Chef notes (My Recipe bible) hand I could give you loads more but try out a few of these and see how you get on :)

Wow you sound a great cook even without your chef notes. Great reply

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

I just cover them with cling film and reheat them slowly? :confused: It keeps the water in them, instead of boiling it off and drying them out!

Youd be surprised at the amount of people who just put everything on "Full Power" for 2 mins and expect it to come out like food. There is actually skill in using a microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

Melt some butter,milk and a tiny bit of cream in a pot..bring it up just before boiling point..gently add in your cold mashed potatoes.
    turn down heat..and whip potatoes with a wooden spoon for a few mins till its all combined and hot
    Finally add some ground pepper and some chopped fresh leaf parsley and there you have it, restaurant creamed potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Butter. Lots of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Kerikosan wrote: »

Great recipe but the OP wouldn't want to over do it otherwise the Mammy might have him cooking the entire Sunday dinner:D

As a general rule Im not allowed fryin pans :D ..20 years of age and I cant be trusted, lol.
    I threw two massive chunks o butter onto the mashed spuds yesterday and left it in the microwave for 40 seconds or so, removed it, mashed it together, left it in for another minute and a half and got the nicest spuds EVER.

Advertisement