Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GU Gels

• 13-02-2011 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭

A friend brought me some of these back from Kona and I want to buy a box of them. Anyone know where I can get them, wiggle and chain reaction don't seem to do them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think I may have seen them in Base 2 Race in Ballymount but can't be 100% sure, they had a large variety of stuff anyway, a phone call will sort it out anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

http://www.energy-gels.co.uk/index.html

I have never used the site so I don't know how good they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I've bought boxes of 24 from Irish Fit (one of your favourites ;)). But I find the High5's easier to ingest and easier to source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I've bought boxes of 24 from Irish Fit (one of your favourites ;)). But I find the High5's easier to ingest and easier to source.

High5s are okay, just find the calorie content too low. use Sis, powerbar as well but like to vary it a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

SIS are pretty low in calories too though, and pretty large (because of their isotonic property). I still prefer them to the long list of other gel-type products I've tried over the last couple of years.

• Advertisement

SIS are pretty low in calories too though, and pretty large (because of their isotonic property). I still prefer them to the long list of other gel-type products I've tried over the last couple of years.

thats why i use them for long runs to get calories but not have to carry water (can't absorb the CHO without water, well not quickly anyways)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

I saw GU's in amphibian king this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

10% discount on www.royles.biz

voucher code: 220CALMAR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

10% discount on www.royles.biz

voucher code: 220CALMAR

Was that particular to GU?

Tried it for Powerbar stuff with nil joy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

connundrum wrote: »
    Was that particular to GU?

Tried it for Powerbar stuff with nil joy :(

O ya sorry about that, it is for GU gels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

I got a few GU gels (the chocolate variety) off a friend just to try them out, must say they're impressively thick! Takes a bit of work to actually get them out of the sachet and I'd say a drink of water soon afterwards is almost mandatory. Love the taste but will admit to being a bit of a chocoholic :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Must try the SIS gels. The high5 isotonic gels are worse than normal gels, as someone that doesn't carry water iso gels are a bonus for training.

Picked up some stinger chews today to give them a try. Says to take 4 or 5 chews an hour but I'm doubting they'd provide the same as gels. Say 15 chews for a 3 hour marathon compared to 4 gels? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Picked up some stinger chews today to give them a try. Says to take 4 or 5 chews an hour but I'm doubting they'd provide the same as gels. Say 15 chews for a 3 hour marathon compared to 4 gels? :confused:

Carbohydrates:
    1 x SIS Gel = 22g of carbs per sachet.
    10 x stinger chews = 39g carbs

So:
    1 x SIS gel = 5.6 chews
    4 x SIS gels = 22 chews

The make-up of the ingredients is different, of course.
    Calories:
    1 x SIS gel = 88 calories
    10 x stinger chews = 160 calories
    1 x SIS gel = 5.5 chews
    4 x gels = 22 chews
    (compositions is largely carbs).

Sodium:
    1 x SIS gel = 9mg sodium
    1 x stinger chew = 8mg sodium
    So a stinger chew is approximately equivalent to a SIS gel in terms of sodium.
    Next time, do your own home-work. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Next time, do your own home-work. :)

I wouldn't want to take away your enjoyment though, bet you had a great time putting that together. Many thanks. :D

I wouldn't want to take away your enjoyment though, bet you had a great time putting that together. Many thanks. :D

But what is the fructose/glucose ratio of each?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

asimonov wrote: »
    I saw GU's in amphibian king this week.
    I saw some in that running/cycling shop next to elvery's dundrum today, but I have got over it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

did you find somewhere to get these at a reasonable price tunney? last box i had from the states worked out at $1 a gel, not so keen on £1.50 that they seem to be locally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

kingQuez wrote: »
    did you find somewhere to get these at a reasonable price tunney? last box i had from the states worked out at $1 a gel, not so keen on £1.50 that they seem to be locally.
    Ribble do these 27.99pound for 24

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Ribble do these 27.99pound for 24

Still more pricey than other decent gels but almost affordable!

Must win lotto - cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

tunney wrote: »
    But what is the fructose/glucose ratio of each?

What's a preferable ratio for a gel?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I read before that fructose is easier to absorb?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

out of my depth here but gonna ask anyway.

so glucose/fructose mix is good, hence gu gels or Powerbar c2max gels (roctane also?)- which reference the right research so presumbly have got the ratios right? other options?

what about water intake - both above gels appear to recommend very different amounts.

Say, in a hot IM situation, you put 18 gels in a flask with a little water to dilute, is there a minimum amount of water required as a chaser with each 20 minute gel to best aid absorption? Someone previously mentioned 2g of water to every 1g of gel required - so a bit less than 100mls required? Is it trainable to absorb with less fluid or do you have to be trained to absorb at the 2g rate!!??

Gu better than c2max or just personal preference?

Is there guidance or a better answer than for me to go and try it and tell you how i got on??

any opinions?

Notwitch wrote: »
    out of my depth here but gonna ask anyway.

so glucose/fructose mix is good, hence gu gels or Powerbar c2max gels (roctane also?)- which reference the right research so presumbly have got the ratios right? other options?

what about water intake - both above gels appear to recommend very different amounts.

Say, in a hot IM situation, you put 18 gels in a flask with a little water to dilute, is there a minimum amount of water required as a chaser with each 20 minute gel to best aid absorption? Someone previously mentioned 2g of water to every 1g of gel required - so a bit less than 100mls required? Is it trainable to absorb with less fluid or do you have to be trained to absorb at the 2g rate!!??

Gu better than c2max or just personal preference?

Is there guidance or a better answer than for me to go and try it and tell you how i got on??

any opinions?

Gels are not put in flasks really, tape them to your top tube, knock ones back with water when you want it, take the water from an aid station or similar. You don't mix the gels with anything.

Advertisement