Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get vanilla beans/pods?

Options
  • 13-02-2011 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Okay, Val's day dilemma. The OH had this great idea that we could each cook part of a home-made meal tomorrow. After tossing a coin, I got landed with having to do starters and desert. Thought I'd throw my hand at ice-cream for the desert (yes, without a proper maker yoke). Anyway, the OH's mad about vanilla pods in ice-cream but I've never seen them in a shop in my life? Mind you, I'm a guy so perhaps that doesn't say much. So, can anyone tell me where one finds real unadulterated vanilla beans/pods?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I usually get mine in Tesco's - you'll find them in a silver tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

You can get vanilla pods in most supermarkets, M&S do them too. They are much cheaper (as most things are!) in the Asian Food Store if you can get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Perfect! Thanks so much for that info - I was thinking that I'd be getting some funny looks back if I asked around at supermarkets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Petite Treats

I got mine from Vanilla Mart on Ebay - Bag of 50 -can't remember price now but WAY cheaper and excellent quality

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Got them from Dunnes in the end -> pretty expensive at €5.99. Plus they were in the silver tube thing so I felt a bit like I was purchasing a sex toy at the checkout! Anyway, the ice-cream worked out well, in the end!! Made the big mistake of putting the mixture in a closed plastic lunchbox in the freezer. The damn thing wasn't freezing at all so I had to improvise and move to an open-topped baking tin at the last minute and put the freezer to max. Ended up having a cross between an icre-cream and a mousse but it tasted fab!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement