Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Crowe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

After all Canvasser's bashing of the other candidates, surprise surprise, he's backing a Fianna Fail man.

And I see Frank Fahey is using a mass follow technique on Twitter: http://twitter.com/FrankFaheyTD (following 1,273, 124 followers).

I know who I'll be voting. And it won't be Fianna Fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

markesmith wrote: »
    After all Canvasser's bashing of the other candidates, surprise surprise, he's backing a Fianna Fail man.

And I see Frank Fahey is using a mass follow technique on Twitter: http://twitter.com/FrankFaheyTD (following 1,273, 124 followers).

I know who I'll be voting. And it won't be Fianna Fail.

If Canvasser is backing a FF man, I would be very confident it's Frank Fahey and not Mike Crowe.

celty wrote: »
    Yeah, learning Chinese would be great, seeing as how FF have sold out our soverignty and bankrupt the place. An entire generation will have to emigrate thanks to his cronies, just like my generation did in the 1980s. They had their chance, and they blew it.

It's the NECK of these FF canvassers that gets me. If I bankrupt the company I work for, I don't think I would call around to all the shareholders asking them to keep me on running it.

That's the problem with Irish politics, so many people with huge necks and no vision. 'Fumbling in the greasy tills'.

Go on, Mike ... buy up all your properties. That's just what Galway needs, another auctioneer in the Dail.

Don't give me this crap about being young and not in Government. If you join the party of Haughey, Ahern, Lenihan, and Cowen, (liars, corrupt, and incompetent) then you deserve to get abuse on the doorstep if you go around asking people to vote for Crowe or Fahey.

These people wouldn't even admit that the IMF were in Dublin when everyone knew they was. Our country was shamed all around the world.

And you want us to vote for a man who somehow wants to pretend that he had something to do with the creation of new jobs which had absolutely nothing to do with him.

Don't insult our intelligence. Give us a break.

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, sorry if that appeared the case. I admitted not voting for FF was perfectly reasonable. I just said that I felt Mike was certainly their best candidate and a good candidate overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

AngeGal wrote: »
    If Canvasser is backing a FF man, I would be very confident it's Frank Fahey and not Mike Crowe.
    Hi. I suspct you're right
    out of curiosity, what are Mike Crowes business back ground/ experience.

ETA. you prob a bit busy, so i'll take this opp to detail me question a bit .

does mike have a third level qualification in business or related subject?

has mike set up a business and if so what?

has mike ran a business and if so what?

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Hi. I suspct you're right
    out of curiosity, what are Mike Crowes business back ground/ experience.

Hi well his family own a bar in Bohermore so he grew up working in one and managed that for a couple of years. He then leased a few mace stores (Westside, Woodquay and one other can't remember where exactly it was) for 8/9 years and and ran them. After that he became a councillor, he was a part time auctioneer but that was very small ( the figures were in the advertiser a while ago, think he sold something like 18 houses, mostly for friends as far as I know). Since 2004, he's been pretty much a full-time councillor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

As for owning houses, yes Mike owns some houses but I think you will find this is common across parties, at least two candidates in Galway west own much more and that's just two I know about.
    How many of those are in receipt of rental allowance, to the tune of tens of thousands of euros, from the council? Bit of a conflict of interest there, no?
    I can understand anyone not voting for FF, but for Mike I wouldn't be.
    What I can't understand is how anyone could put their personal acquaintances before their country. There are overtones of Cowen's goodbye speech here, with his sentiments that "sometimes the country has to come before the party and personal interests". Also, interesting how one FF canvasser gets banned, and another pops up immediately.

The show is over for the chuckleheads in FF, make no mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

First of all, full disclosure, I'm a friend of Mike Crowe's and will be helping him out over the next two weeks.
    I'll be honest, I wouldn't vote FF in this election if they guaranteed me 70 vestal virgins to cater to my every whim!

But welcome to the Galway forum, and fair play for nailing your colours to the mast when you must have known damn well few would salute that particular flag.

That I can respect.

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    How many of those are in receipt of rental allowance, to the tune of tens of thousands of euros, from the council? Bit of a conflict of interest there, no?

What I can't understand is how anyone could put their personal acquaintances before their country. There are overtones of Cowen's goodbye speech here, with his sentiments that "sometimes the country has to come before the party and personal interests". Also, interesting how one FF canvasser gets banned, and another pops up immediately.

The show is over for the chuckleheads in FF, make no mistake.

Hi Amhran Nua,
    I honestly don't know the answer to your first question. I saw the article you are referencing, tried a google search but couldn't get it. I think it was 3 houses but I'm not sure and don't know how much money that would be.
    I don't think it is a conflict to be honest, these schemes were open to anyone who owned property, I'm sure there are others who receive more than Mike but we don't hear about them because they're not councillors.
    I don't really see why Mike should be essentially punished for being a city councillor and unable to partake in them when they are open to everyone.

As to your second question, I can assure I am not the OP, I can also assure you that the OP has nothing to do with Mike Crowe. Mods are free to compare IP addresses to verify this.

Edited to say I'm not putting friendship before the country. I know Mike and in my opinion he is an intelligent young man who has much to offer in Leinster house. He knows the challenges of running a small business and he knows the difficulties people are facing. I wouldn't be mad enough to say he has all the answers but no-one will look harder for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Hi Amhran Nua,
    I honestly don't know the answer to your first question. I saw the article you are referencing, tried a google search but couldn't get it. I think it was 3 houses but I'm not sure and don't know how much money that would be.
    I don't think it is a conflict to be honest, these schemes were open to anyone who owned property, I'm sure there are others who receive more than Mike but we don't hear about them because they're not councillors.
    I don't really see why Mike should be essentially punished for being a city councillor and unable to partake in them when they are open to everyone.
    Here's the article, took about ten seconds to find it on Google. That's €60,000 a year straight into his pocket.
    The Mayor of Galway was this week forced to defend his integrity amid claims of a conflict of interest in relation to property dealings with Galway City Council.
    A row broke out at Monday’s special meeting on housing when City Councillor Catherine Connolly (Ind) accused Mayor Mike Crowe (FF) of having a conflict of interest in relation to him being involved in an agreement with the local authority under the Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS)

Cllr Connolly was referring to a report in the Galway City Tribune last month in which it was revealed that Councillor Crowe is receiving payments in the region of €5,000 a month from the Council under contracts awarded to him as a landlord under the RAS.

Most of the eleven properties Mayor Crowe declared in the councillors’ Register of Interests are contracted to the local authority under the scheme. The contracts guarantee landlords year-round payment of rental income by the local authority on behalf of tenants, regardless of whether the accommodation is vacant or occupied.

When the quarterly housing scheme was being discussed, Cllr Connolly said the Mayor and other councillors who are benefitting from RAS, should not be allowed to discuss it.

“You have a conflict of interest because you are involved in the RAS scheme. I’m simply saying that you should declare you interest in it and not comment on the scheme,” she said.
    As to your second question, I can assure I am not the OP, I can also assure you that the OP has nothing to do with Mike Crowe. Mods are free to compare IP addresses to verify this.
    I never said you were the same poster. I just pointed out that another one popped up after the first one was banned, which it has.
    Edited to say I'm not putting friendship before the country. I know Mike and in my opinion he is an intelligent young man who has much to offer in Leinster house. He knows the challenges of running a small business and he knows the difficulties people are facing. I wouldn't be mad enough to say he has all the answers but no-one will look harder for them.
    His association with FF stands in defiance of your opinion.

• Advertisement

I never said you were the same poster. I just pointed out that another one popped up after the first one was banned, which it has.
    In fairness, canvasser was pure troll, and I actually don't believe he has anything to do with FF, more likely a young lad thinking he was funny tbh. Way too overdone a caricature to be real.

Way too overdone a caricature to be real.
    Genuinely I wish you were right, but in the context of brazen and very official statements as mentioned above, it would surprise me not at all to find he or she was on the level.

Here's the article, took about ten seconds to find it on Google. That's €60,000 a year straight into his pocket.

His association with FF stands in defiance of your opinion.

Fair enough I googled michael crowe council houses galway and couldn't find it, you're obviously quicker on the google than me! In any case, my point remains the same. These schemes were open to anyone who owned property, don't see why Crowe shouldn't be allowed to be involved because he is a councillor.
    You're entitled to your opinion and as I am mine and somehow I don't think we're gonna agree so I'll leave it at that.

Genuinely I wish you were right, but in the context of brazen and very official statements as mentioned above, it would surprise me not at all to find he or she was on the level.
    I'd agree with you re: brazen and FF, but this time I'm confident I am. For one thing, I'm pretty sure I recognise that particular clown from a previous visit to Boards ... the name may have changed, but the act is the same! :)

don't see why Crowe shouldn't be allowed to be involved because he is a councillor.
    It's called a conflict of interests. This is for example why judges aren't allowed to preside over the cases of people breaking into their house. In most modern, non backward* countries, this would result in the representative stepping down from their position. Or seeking elsewhere for funding.
    You're entitled to your opinion and as I am mine and somehow I don't think we're gonna agree so I'll leave it at that.
    You can leave it at that if you like.

*not to say that Ireland is backward, but its political system and FF most certainly are

It's called a conflict of interests. This is for example why judges aren't allowed to preside over the cases of people breaking into their house. In most modern, non backward* countries, this would result in the representative stepping down from their position. Or seeking elsewhere for funding.

You can leave it at that if you like.

*not to say that Ireland is backward, but its political system and FF most certainly are

Mike isn't solely in charge of this scheme, in fact isn't the council management/staff who would run it more so than councillors? The staff that was on strike a year or two ago and doesn't exactly love ff?

Mike isn't solely in charge of this scheme, in fact isn't the council management/staff who would run it more so than councillors? The staff that was on strike a year or two ago and doesn't exactly love ff?
    I'm not suggesting any untoward behaviour on the part of Mike Crowe. What I am saying, and elected representatives have said, is that a conflict of interests exists on the part of the "Lord Mayor", and I have pointed out the normal behaviour in these situations from civilised politicians.

This is verifiable reality. And it would be unacceptable enough in any case, but from a FF politician?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

i rem that issue vaguely

it was a councilor vote on housing policy for the future, which incl RAS. Connolly objected because Mike Crowe was benefiting for the scheme and Connolly believed it was therefore a conflict of interest between his civic duties and his personal situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This thread has not yet given us one reason to vote for Crowe.

No single thing that Crowe does as well as ( or better than ) any other candidate has been stated.

Crowes views on national issues have not been mentioned at all, is he always going to be a quiet little whipped in backbencher like Grealish was ??

Crowes 'explanations' for why we are where we are ( with no banks and run by the IMF) are glaringly absent. I suspect that is because Crowe basically does not understand these things and nor does he care.

Finally the Crowe advocates have not even mentioned the only unique policy that Crowe allegedly has ( complete with constituency wide mailshot and website inviting people to register and get spammed) .

Click here http://www.saveourpost.com/ only if you want to see his ugly mug leering at you :) Naturally we have no idea how many actually 'signed', was it 10 15 or 20 ???? No official FF email address either :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Vote for Crowe or you get no post!
    Vote for Fahey or you get no bypass!

You know there has to be a thesis waiting to be written somewhere on Fianna Fail election tactics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Crowes views on national issues have not been mentioned at all, is he always going to be a quiet little whipped in backbencher like Grealish was ??

In fairness to Grealish he withdrew support for the govenment in September 2010 over HSE cuts, unlike many of the other independents like Lowry/healy rae

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Crowe making money of the taxpayer with this rental scheme is imo a resigning offence.
    He shouldnt even be running after that.

Just another brass neck FF'er ignoring common decency to line their own pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Hi well his family own a bar in Bohermore so he grew up working in one and managed that for a couple of years. He then leased a few mace stores (Westside, Woodquay and one other can't remember where exactly it was) for 8/9 years and and ran them. After that he became a councillor, he was a part time auctioneer but that was very small ( the figures were in the advertiser a while ago, think he sold something like 18 houses, mostly for friends as far as I know). Since 2004, he's been pretty much a full-time councillor.

http://archive.advertiser.ie/pages/preview.php?ref=91248&ext=jpg&k=&search=%21collection1879&offset=100&order_by=field51&sort=ASC&archive=0

That is a property page in the Advertiser from May 2006. As you can see, the bould Mikeen has a full page ad, listing 4 individual properties, and multiple properties in 2 new developments where he obviously had the contract from the developers to sell properties from showhouses or plans.

That is his ad from just one week in 2006.

Are we really to believe he only sold 18 properties???

If he did, then how come he had so many for sale? And if he took on so many properties, and still only managed to sell 18, is he really that competent a businessman that we would want him in the Dail??? :rolleyes:

For what its worth, I was shown a house by Crowe in 2006, and he was the least impressive auctioneer I've ever met - had zero interest in any of my questions about the property, just wanted to get me in and out as quick as possible, maybe to bump up the numbers he could tell the owners he had shown the house to.... based on personal experience alone I would never vote for him. Not to mention the absolute fvcking mess his party have made of the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Whether Canvasser is for real or not he's doing an exemplory job of scuppering Mike Crowes chances of a floating vote or transfer.

He's either a complete moron or a genius satire.... either way he's doing absolutely nothing for Crowes chances of election so to that end i would like to see the ban lifted.

Real or not it's comedy gold

Bring back Canvasser!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

McTigs wrote: »
    Whether Canvasser is for real or not he's doing an exemplory job of scuppering Mike Crowes chances of a floating vote or transfer.

He's either a complete moron or a genius satire.... either way he's doing absolutely nothing for Crowes chances of election so to that end i would like to see the ban lifted.

Real or not it's comedy gold

Bring back Canvasser!!!!

I'm sure he'll either figure out how to re-reg, or Mollie will have told all their canvassers to stay the f*** off the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Did anyone see his ad in the sentinal yesterday. All the items that he is trying to get done can are local issues that he probably could get done in his current role so thats another candidate i dont need to vote for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

skelliser wrote: »
    Crowe making money of the taxpayer with this rental scheme is imo a resigning offence.
    He shouldnt even be running after that.

Just another brass neck FF'er ignoring common decency to line their own pockets.

i think the scheme goes like this - he can provide his "extra" houses to the council who will pay his mortgage or most of it for him for a certain number of years - could be ten, fifteen, twenty. They in turn will put a poor family who cannot afford a house into one of his houses - they will then turf them out when crowe wants his house back after the allotted time.

result is this - crowe gets his mortgage paid on his extra properties and he doesn't have to worry about them at all until he wants them back. The person put into his property will be turfed out without any chance of security.

correct me if I am wrong, but I think that this is how it works.

thats what you call working for the common good - NOT

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Did anyone see his ad in the sentinal yesterday. All the items that he is trying to get done can are local issues that he probably could get done in his current role so thats another candidate i dont need to vote for.

But surely he is BRIGHT, COMPETENT, AND EXPERIENCED .... or so he says himself. Self-praise, just the kind of 'new' TD we need from the party that's been in power for 14 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

996tt wrote: »
    In fairness to Grealish he withdrew support for the govenment in September 2010 over HSE cuts, unlike many of the other independents like Lowry/healy rae

I wouldn't Grealish any credit for that at all. The world and his mother knew the government wasn't long for this world by that stage. It was sheer opportunism on Grealish's part so he could say that he opposed one of the most unpopular governments on record, despite having propped them up for 99% of his Dail career.

Hopefully he'll be kicked out on his arse like Fahey on election day. I wish I could say the same for O'Cuiv but it looks like the bog dwelling troglodytes will be voting him in anyway.
    • If anyone from connamara dissaproves of me calling them a bog dwelling troglodyte, well they can prove me wrong by NOT electing Dev Óg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GALWAYINDOOR

I find the both ollie and michael interesting they act like you dont exist when they meet you even tho they know you but as soon as elections are coming around I become noticable havnt any intention of voting for him!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement