Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

V. Cheap gaming PC - 16000 3d mark sscore

Options
  • 13-02-2011 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I see lots of threads here about a cheap gaming pc. Usually first timers who don't want to go down an overclocking road. I just built my first gamer. Overclocking was ridiculously easy with the right motherboard. I ended up with a sub 500 euro PC that has a 3d mark vantage score of 16000 :) Read on for details...
    • CPU - Phenom X2 555 BE: with the right motherboard this cheapo processor can be unlocked and (in most cases) oc'd without any real effort.
    • Mobo - MSI 870A-G54: cheap crossfire capable motherboard with great review for overclockability. It also has USB 3 and 6gb/s sata. Not that I need it but nice to have. The only downside I could see was that it had one x16 PCI-E port and 1 x4 port. But I was getting conflicting info so I went ahead with it anyway.
    • RAM - 3 X 2GB DDR3 10600
    • Graphics - 2 x Sapphire Radeon HD5770 1GB
    • HD - 1TB 7200RPM SATA
    • PS & case - 500w and boring beige case I had laying about
    Got the bits and put it together, straight into the bios and opened up the other 2 cores and overclocked (multiplier only) to 4Ghz. Didn't seem stable although temps were fine, so I dropped back down to 3.8Ghz. I'm sure with some voltage tweaks I could go higher, but that's for another day (and forum).
    Booted up and installed fresh Win7 X64 and the latest catalyst drivers.
    I also ran the catalyst auto tune for overclocking the graphics cards.

Overclocking consisted of a few clicks in the bios and a button press in the catalyst control centre. I already had the HD, case and powersupply making this build a bit cheaper. I bought everything from Pixmania. The x16x4 PCI-e setup hasn't seem to affect the scores as they are not far off an i7 system reviewed here

Advertisement