Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with my Asian Megadrive

• 13-02-2011 3:58pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I picked up an Asian MD this morning, with a jap Sonic, for 3 euro, no psu or rf but that's ok, I have spares.
    Now, what's the story with these?
    What can be done with it?
    It's playing everything I throw at it, and cleaned up looks lovely.
    It has an ext port at the back, don't know what its for.
    So, does it need modding?
    Questions, questions..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I picked up an Asian MD this morning, with a jap Sonic, for 3 euro, no psu or rf but that's ok, I have spares.
    Now, what's the story with these?
    What can be done with it?
    It's playing everything I throw at it, and cleaned up looks lovely.
    It has an ext port at the back, don't know what its for.
    So, does it need modding?
    Questions, questions..

It would only need modding for region locked pal games, I wouldn't bother personally. I presume Asian MD's run stock at 60hz? The external port is a modem connection if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is it a model I or II?

Does it have the cartridge lock on it?

It's NTSC so it's running stock 60hz anyway. As Enternow said, only reason for a mod is to get it to run region locked PAL 50hz games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It has the cartridge lock there alright.
    Model 1601-11
    Reckon it was a good buy!
    It has played gunstar, wonderboy in monsterworld, and virtua racing so what can I expect not to work?

Master of the Universe

Some that I remember which you could test out -

Robocop Versus the Terminator. The Story of Thor. Samurai Showdown. Alien Soldier, Rocket Knight Adventures. Probotector -actually most Konami games. I think Thunderforce IV is, Streets of Rage 3, Sonic 3..

There's no way of finding out other than sticking the cart in and trying it out. It's very hit and miss!

Model 1601-11
    It has played gunstar, wonderboy in monsterworld, and virtua racing so what can I expect not to work?

Arn't you selling this console though? You know Adverts won't allow modified consoles so prob best to leaver her as it, not that modding a native 60hz MD gives any real advantage though. It's like modding a console to be worse than it is before the mod, Sonyesque if you will :D

But taking a crippled 50Hz pal unit & unlocking 60Hz is the way to go.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Here are the adverts rules on modded consoles -

Mod chips / modded consoles. Although it is not illegal to mod chip a console in Ireland/EU (except the Xbox), the whole mod chipping scene is on dodgy ground. The main reason is that mod chips bypass security features on consoles, which allow pirate copies to be played on said machines.

I reckon clarification should be asked on older pre 'chip' consoles, as it's really not the same thing as modding a modern one. You can't burn off copies of cartridges.

What you're doing to Megadrives etc really is not 'modding' in the modern sense of the word...it's just enhacing them so they run at correct speeds.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Here are the adverts rules on modded consoles -

Mod chips / modded consoles. Although it is not illegal to mod chip a console in Ireland/EU (except the Xbox), the whole mod chipping scene is on dodgy ground. The main reason is that mod chips bypass security features on consoles, which allow pirate copies to be played on said machines.

I reckon clarification should be asked on older pre 'chip' consoles, as it's really not the same thing as modding a modern one. You can't burn off copies of cartridges.

What you're doing to Megadrives etc really is not 'modding' in the modern sense of the word...it's just enhacing them so they run at correct speeds.

Fully agree, but the region mod evades regional lockouts :( I really needs revision though because think about this, if you file away the cart locks on pal md's so Genny carts fit in, that's technically evading a lockout too :eek::confused:

Master of the Universe

I guess that rule wasn't written up with older consoles in mind.

I mean if you replace something in a console it's technically modded as you've modified it with different/new parts - something people like us need to have done to keep stuff running. So can my Amiga now no longer be listed on Adverts as the stock console has been modified with new caps?

And then how about things like the Sega Nomad screen mod, or gameboy chiptune sound mods?

Definitely needs to be revised.

In fact, is the arcade and retro sub forum exempt from this in the same way that the airsoft adverts sub forum is exempt from the 'no airsoft' adverts.ie specific rule?

The adverts rules beside the 'no airsoft rule', there is a link to the airsoft adverts section on boards.ie. Maybe something like that could be done with our sub forum here and advertising older fixed/modded consoles?

Something to think about...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

So can my Amiga now no longer be listed on Adverts as the stock computer has been modified with new caps?
    Be classed as repaired.

Master of the Universe

Be classed as repaired.

I would also class a Megadrive with a 60hz switch or a Nomad with a proper LCD as repaired ;)

• Advertisement

Be classed as repaired.

But then how do you define 'modded' or 'modified' is what o1s1n is saying? Giving a console an ability it didn't have in the first place? Maybe, but I'd argue that 60hz on a pal md is already there, all your doing is switching it on.

EnterNow wrote: »
    But then how do you define 'modded' or 'modified' is what o1s1n is saying? Giving a console an ability it didn't have in the first place? Maybe, but I'd argue that 60hz on a pal md is already there, all your doing is switching it on.
    Yes,you summed it up,i would had classed the mig*hail the mig* as repaired because you only renewed components that where failing and still it functions,tbh nobody would care about the mig *hail the mig* having cf drive as its more practical and quieter than fitting in an 2.5" ide drive that originally came in the HD models.

Yes,you summed it up,i would had classed the mig*hail the mig* as repaired because you only renewed components that where failing and still it functions,tbh nobody would care about the mig *hail the mig* having cf drive as its more practical and quieter than fitting in an 2.5" ide drive that originally came in the HD models.

There's arguments for & against that though. How's a CF drive any different from a flash cart? (from a retailing point of view)

Master of the Universe

As a matter of interest Enternow, do Adverts allow cosmetically modified consoles? Or have you any idea?

There's arguments for & against that though. How's a CF drive any different from a flash cart? (from a retailing point of view)
    Might aswell ask why use mp3s to load games than traditional tapes on the humble speccy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

As a matter of interest Enternow, do Adverts allow cosmetically modified consoles? Or have you any idea?

Consoles with huge boobies.....nice!:pac:

I've seen a few 360's with giant fans etc & case mods, so I presume there's no issue there. It's not grey area, but I guess Adverts need to stay outta the limelight as much as the rest of them, therefore it's easier just to ban modded consoles (in this sense consoles that have been adapted to allow pirate games etc).

Master of the Universe

I've seen a few 360's with giant fans etc & case mods, so I presume there's no issue there. It's not grey area, but I guess Adverts need to stay outta the limelight as much as the rest of them, therefore it's easier just to ban modded consoles (in this sense consoles that have been adapted to allow pirate games etc).

Maybe again, like airsoft (!) what we need to do here is change the wording. We had awful issues with people using terminology like 'pellet gun' 'bb gun' 'airgun' 'air rifle' - all of which aren't airsoft, they're firearms and require a license..people get them confused with airsoft and cause us issues. We pushed it so much that now I hear people saying 'airsoft' on the radio and not 'air rifle'..it's feckin great! A distinction was finally made.

So in the modern sense of the word, this isn't a modded Sega Megadrive..it's an 'enhanced' Sega Megadrive - which isn't just me twisting words, that is in fact what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

So what would count as "modified"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, as a total noob, what is involved with the 60hz mod to the Asian MD?
    Is it a chip, a couple of points to solder, what? Quickly now, show your mastery of the subject, before I just Google it and get the answers anyway! ;)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

amacachi wrote: »
    So what would count as "modified"?

In the modern sense of the word, a modded console or 'chipped' console is something that plays backups. I hear people talking about 'chipping' consoles when not even using modchips..it's a case of the term meaning more than what it actually is.
    Is it a chip, a couple of points to solder, what? Quickly now, show your mastery of the subject, before I just Google it and get the answers anyway! ;)

I've never done it, but I've read the walkthroughs..! It involves lifting a pin on the processor and wiring a few different points on the board. You're just wiring up the 60hz and Japanese points. It's all already on the Megadrive board.

No chip involved, you take one point on the motherboard & feed it with either 5v or feed it with ground (which gives 60Hz or 50Hz). same with the region mod, 5v or ground gives two differing regions (PAL & NTSC in this case).

But just because it doesn't use a chip doesn't mean it's not piracy related. A jtagged 360 uses a few extra diodes/resistors, but otherwise no additional circuitry is involved, and with the PS3 all you need is a bloody usb flash drive...so the chip argument is null and void if you ask me.

Also, people saying they have 'chipped' PSP's and DS's is a perfect example of this mentality.

Actually I've just copped that there, it's far more difficult to Mod a Megadrive for 60Hz, than it is to install Custom Firmware on a PS3...how bizarre :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Actually I've just copped that there, it's far more difficult to Mod a Megadrive for 60Hz, than it is to install Custom Firmware on a PS3...how bizarre :confused:

Megadrive = Sega (legends)
    PS3 = Sony (tossers)

pdbhp wrote: »
    Megadrive = Sega (legends)
    PS3 = Sony (tossers)

While slightly irrelevant to modding difficulty, I still have to voice my support to this one :cool::D

Some people never got over the Playstation beating the Saturn...
    Same people soiled themselves with rage when the PS2 trounced the Dreamcast.

Let it go, think of the children!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Model 1601-11

What you have there sir is the PAL Asian model, "It wont run US and JPN games that check for 60hz" according to other forums

Interesting blurb

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    What you have there sir is the PAL Asian model, "It wont run US and JPN games that check for 60hz" according to other forums

Interesting blurb
    is it a PAL I?
    That,s the one I had back in the megadrive days .Never had a problem with any game I threw at it (and on a few jap carts it automatically gave me the English text, where as a regular pal one would give Japanese text).
    they were designed for use in Hong Kong (UK coltage , PAL , english option , but designed to run Jap carts as well).I think because it was pal it was still running at 50hz though.

Master of the Universe

I've heard before that some of those Chinese PAL Asian Megadrives can play games from any region.

Still, nasty 50hz!

• Advertisement

50Hz?? Eugh, heat that soldering iron!

I've heard before that some of those Chinese PAL Asian Megadrives can play games from any region.

Still, nasty 50hz!
    yeah still though there's a few Jap carts that contain a full english text , that only pops up when used in a pal I (Mercs was definitely one , my mate with his "chipped"* meg would get the commando II title screen and jap text , whereas I'd get "Mercs" and english text)

*when I say chipped, I mean he chipped off the two bits of plastic on the cart bay to allow it to fit jap carts ;).

yeah still though there's a few Jap carts that contain a full english text , that only pops up when used in a pal I (Mercs was definitely one , my mate with his "chipped"* meg would get the commando II title screen and jap text , whereas I'd get "Mercs" and english text)

*when I say chipped, I mean he chipped off the two bits of plastic on the cart bay to allow it to fit jap carts ;).

Thats the region jumper, it gives alternative text in the same cart if it supports it :) Lol, did he really call it a chipped Megadrive? :pac:

Master of the Universe

That language display on dual language carts is controlled by the language jumper on the Megadrive board.

So if you have a standard European PAL model it's going to be hooked up to the English jumper. It theoretically should give English text on a Japanese dual language game.

Your friend with the sawn off PAL Megadrive should be getting English text with his Japanese game...unless he had it modified with a language switch which has been turned to Japanese.

I don't think I have any Japanese dual language carts to test out that though..unless Golden Axe Jap has English in it? (I don't think it does)

Will try and see if I can test all that out when I get home.

Streets of Rage and The Revenge of Shinobi are dual language. So as a matter of interest, if anyone has a Japanese Megadrive, stick your PAL copy of one of these games in and see if it displays the Japanese version (Bare Knuckle & The Super Shinobi)

That language display on dual language carts is controlled by the language jumper on the Megadrive board.

So if you have a standard European PAL model it's going to be hooked up to the English jumper. It theoretically should give English text on a Japanese dual language game.

Your friend with the sawn off PAL Megadrive should be getting English text with his Japanese game...unless he had it modified with a language switch which has been turned to Japanese.

Streets of Rage and The Revenge of Shinobi are dual language. So as a matter of interest, if anyone has a Japanese Megadrive, stick your PAL copy of one of these games in and see if it displays the Japanese version (Bare Knuckle & The Super Shinobi)
    yeah that's what I thought too , but it was definitely in japanese , (his was a standard uk pal meg), its a looong time ago though so its long gone so I cant retest.I'd assumed since the jap cart shouldnt have technically been playable on his PAL one there was the cart didn't bother checking the region??

Master of the Universe

Dual language carts aren't region locked. (the ones that I know of..but there'd be no point them being dual language if they were..one negates the other)

They're the exact same cartridges just with a different label on them.

The dual language means the same cart can be distributed to all regions. The consoles will then display the correct region language dependant on whichever jumper is set up on the motherboard.

That's why your friends PAL Megadrive displaying Mercs in Japanese is confusing the hell out of me :D

• Advertisement

Thunderforce IV doesn't worky!
    How I make it Worky????
    Help meeeee!

Master of the Universe

With some wires, solder and switches :pac:

Edit - or a super duper rare Sega Mega Key or Nitro cart. They're the region carts with dip switches.

Don't hold your breath for one though. Took me a good many years to hunt one down at a non scandalous price!

Thunderforce IV doesn't worky!
    How I make it Worky????
    Help meeeee!

Consult the monkey, the mmmonkey - http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/md1switches.htm

Advertisement