Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish language thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I like it, would love to learn it and be able to speak it, but I am a lazy lazy person, one day I will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

I'd love to have gone to Gaelscoil and automatically have learned it but I'm not bothered now. I'd much rather learn another language in its place though because it'd have more use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I nothing it. I don't use it and I'm not bothered about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Loved it ever since I went to an Irish primary school all those years ago.

It's really nice to be able to hold a conversation with my friend who's studying it in college and I often bump into old teachers from the primary school as my mam works there. It would just feel unnatural to start talking to them in English, in the school at least.

My Irish isn't perfect by any means but I would consider myself fluent and it's a source of great pride to me. To speak the native tongue is an excellent feeling.

tl;dr: Irish is awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Don't forget, Seachtain na Gaeilge starts on Saturday. :)

There is also a free Album in the Daily Star

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=196942093669084

Beidh Albam Rí-Rá ar fáil SAOR IN AISCE leis an Irish Daily Star an Satharn seo, 5 Márta 2011. Beidh ceol iontach trí Ghaeilge le cloisteáil ó bhannaí cosúil le:
    The Rí Rá Album will be available Free in this Saturday's Irish daily Star, There will be music from groups such as:

The Coronas,
    The Rubberbandits,
    Republic of Loose,
    Delorentos,
    Heathers,
    Ham Sandwich,
    The Flaws,
    Fox Avenue,
    The Riptide Movement,
    Miracle Bell,
    The Spikes,
    Mo Hat Mo Gheansaí*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I had the ability to be very good at Irish but I didn't have a decent teacher when I needed it to be able to fulfill my ability. That said I didn't mind going into Irish class in 5th or 6th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Don't forget, Seachtain na Gaeilge starts on Saturday. :)

There is also a free Album in the Daily Star

Oh, thanks for the heads up on that. Will get it out of curiosity - I wonder if these will be all new tracks, or will a few of them just be rereleases of songs from the previous "Ceol" albums?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Love it and wish I had more opportunities to use it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Love it. Study it. Use it.

Will probably include this thread in my thesis... >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

'Meh'. In school you simply don't receive proper ability to use it I have found although there are exceptions. I've a serious beef with the way it's thought to students.

I would love to know how to speak it but I was never passionate about it due to my teachers not being sufficient to the system being completely wrong. When there's cases like that you don't get excited about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Went to an Irish primary school. I used to hate it and think Irish was so boring and pointless but now that I'm a bit older I appreciate that I'm one of the few that can have a conversation in Irish and understand TG4 without subtitles :P I mightn't have a really high standard of Irish but I'm happy!

'Meh'. In school you simply don't receive proper ability to use it I have found although there are exceptions. I've a serious beef with the way it's thought to students.

I would love to know how to speak it but I was never passionate about it due to my teachers not being sufficient to the system being completely wrong. When there's cases like that you don't get excited about it.

I would strongly advise that you try to get involved, Its worth it.

Dont blame the language, blame the Dept of Educaltion.

All I can say is give it a go, I can guarantee that you will never have a worse experience with Irish than you have already had in School.

Learning/using Irish is great and very rewarding once you put School Irish behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I adore it

Everybody look up the channel 'tglurgan' on youtube, too lazy to find a link, they do Irish versions of English songs. and they're actually good

Oh, thanks for the heads up on that. Will get it out of curiosity - I wonder if these will be all new tracks, or will a few of them just be rereleases of songs from the previous "Ceol" albums?

Rubberbandits(who are fluent in Irish by the way) is defiantly new, Coronas might be a re-release but most of the tracks should be new.

Anyway, its only 50 cent.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Mo Hat Mo Gheansaí?! Ahahahaha.

Erm I don't like the LC course but the language is fine I guess, I doubt I'll ever use it again except to talk about people on holidays...

MavisDavis wrote: »
    Love it and wish I had more opportunities to use it.

There are loads of opportunities to use Irish. There is probably a Ciorcal Comhrá in you local Area(if not, set one up, there will be people interested.)

Is Leor Beirt

Love it. Study it. Use it.

Will probably include this thread in my thesis... >_>

Feel Free, You are also invited to SnaG in UL between the 7th and 15th of March. PM me for details.:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Feel Free, You are also invited to SnaG in UL between the 7th and 15th of March. PM me for details.:)

I'll PM you tomorrow. :) Will more than likely be in contact with you regularly enough in the next few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

Is aoibheann liom í, in aineoinn na mílte botúin a dhéanaim nuair a bhím ag caint (nó ag scríobh) an teanga.

I love it. I love the way it's difference to the Romance languages. I love its roundabout, poetic way of saying things. I hate the whistley, nasal pronunciation of some native speakers (Connemara Irish in particular) . It's a great language really. I preferred it to French and German in school, and it's the only one I've made an effort not to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Is aoibheann liom í, in aineoinn na mílte botúin a dhéanaim nuair a bhím ag caint (nó ag scríobh) an teanga.

I love it. I love the way it's difference to the Romance languages. I love its roundabout, poetic way of saying things. I hate the whistley, nasal pronunciation of some native speakers (Connemara Irish in particular) . It's a great language really. I preferred it to French and German in school, and it's the only one I've made an effort not to lose.
    Leave me alone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Loads of Irish threads these days... I'm not pushed about it, I believe the way it's thought should be reconstructed completely and it should be optional for LC, but mandatory for JC (I've outlined my opinions in this thread).

Of course, that'd be madness. The language would die if it wasn't shoved down everyone's throat, even people with no interest in it whatsoever.

Rabble rabble rabble etc.

jumpguy wrote: »
    I believe the way it's thought should be reconstructed completely and it should be optional for LC, but mandatory for JC.

Of course, that'd be madness. The language would die if it wasn't shoved down everyone's throat, even people with no interest in it whatsoever.

Come on, There are many reasons why making it optional would be bad for the language.

If it was made optional as it is, then choosing it would put the student at a disadvantage in the points race, that is why the language would suffer damage if it was made optional.

It should be reformed and restructured, but making it optional now would do no good and do plenty of harm to the future of the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I would strongly advise that you try to get involved, Its worth it.

Dont blame the language, blame the Dept of Educaltion.

All I can say is give it a go, I can guarantee that you will never have a worse experience with Irish than you have already had in School.

Learning/using Irish is great and very rewarding once you put School Irish behind you.

Easier said than done really. I won't have the time. I'm in 3rd year now and a possible post-graduate. Maybe sometime down along the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I was always pretty indifferent to Irish tbh. I don't really like the way it sounds when spoken, and the way it's taught in schools is painful. But I certainly wouldn't say I hate it. So I vote 'meh'.

Strangely, I was actually really good at Irish in school. It was always one of my best subjects. I've completely forgotten everything apart from the basics now though, which is a shame. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I like being able to speak the basics, but I was always crap at it and could never get the hang of it. I'm not particularly passionate about it, it wouldn't bother me too much if I didn't have to ever speak it again (and I probably won't), but I do like to be able to speak the basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ciara95

I love it:) went to the gaeltacht last summer, have two ceol albums, read foinse the odd time. I think its terrible people want to get rid of it as a compulsary subjects. Its part of who we are, well its part of who I am anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

(Chorus is kinda funky, tbf).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I love the language itself! I like watching the news or listening to a song in irish and thinking to myself 'i know what she just said there!'.

But like, atm I'm studying traits of a bealoidis in cearrbhach mac caba and i just want these stories to go away! Wouldn't mind being told an aul story or two to me but studying it in detail is stupid. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I went to a Gaelscoil and I would say without any word of doubt that it was almost like the teachers tortured it into us. I saw things happen to young kids that their parents would have got a summons for just because they were caught speaking English. Thank god they didn't steal my personal love of it. I still speak it to this day but will never forget my experiences in school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

If it was made optional as it is, then choosing it would put the student at a disadvantage in the points race, that is why the language would suffer damage if it was made optional.

You sure? I only glanced at the article in the Irish Times but I think it had Irish as one of the subjects students tend to do well in.

Advertisement