Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish language thread

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Lawliet wrote: »
    Well of course it is! I was exagerating to illustrate the point that's it's silly to complain about other cultures being integrated into our own!

Of course it is.

However, its not silly to complain about, or try to prevent other cultures(specifically anglo-american culture) from dominating our own culture, people don't complain(in general) about their being influences from other cultures mixed in with our own. But allowing our own culture to be squeezed out in the face of other cultures is a very different thing, and people very much do care about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

They're so far removed from the language curricula that their mention in this thread is neither accurate nor relevant.
    To be fair I was only answering MyKeyG's request for something remaining of the Celtic cultural that wasn't connected to language, in that context appreciation of art is pretty relevant. But yeah, this is going a bit off-topic

So Irish yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Disclaimer: I have no objection to Americans

My main point is that the Irish language is a living piece of culture, and that so little of our native culture remains in our daily lives that it is vital we protect the Irish language, in the hope that our kids in the future will have something individual unique to this country. . .our own language. . .

. . .But the way it's taught in Non-Irish language primaries and secondaries HAS to change. . .

I'd love to see separate "Irish language" and "Irish literature" classes, under some sort of A Level-like system.

Of course, with the current Leaving Cert system, this isn't practical, so I support removing it as a compulsory Leaving Certificate subject.
    This argument is anecdotal, but after Junior Cert, I don't feel many students' Irish improves. The ones whose Irish level does improve are the ones who study it at higher level and work for it.
    As such, I think making Irish no longer be compulsory would leave students with approximately the same command of the language.

Advertisement