Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

While Falling Asleep

Options
  • 13-02-2011 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,
    Just wondering, does this happen to anyone else?
    Basically, its when I'm drifting off to sleep, I hear people shouting my name at me or saying other things that I can't make out. This then makes me fully awake.
    I've had this for a couple of years, but it doesn't occur everynight.
    I broached the subject with my mum and brother once as I thought I was going mad and my brother looked at me really weird and said he gets that too! My mum thought we were both mad!:eek:
    Does anyone else get this and do you know what it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

yes i get this sometimes!
    i hear conversations mostly but its hard to describe!

glad im not the only one!!

here we go:
    Sounds

Hypnagogic imagery is often auditory or has an auditory component. Like the visuals, hypnagogic sounds vary in intensity from faint impressions to loud noises, such as crashes and bangs (exploding head syndrome). People may imagine their own name called or a doorbell ringing. Snatches of imagined speech are common. While typically nonsensical and fragmented, these speech events can occasionally strike the individual as apt comments on—or summations of—their thoughts at the time. They often contain word play, neologisms and made-up names. Hypnagogic speech may manifest as the subject's own "inner voice", or as the voices of others: familiar people or strangers. More rarely, poetry or music is heard
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

Advertisement