Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Runners online

• 13-02-2011 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

I was wondering has anyone bought runners on line? And if so who did you buy from? Not to worried if it Irish or UK based. Been looking round and it is working out much cheaper (incl postage) but I always like to try on my runners before I buy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've bought from Start Fitness, Sweatshop and Up and Running (all based in the UK) - delivery was slightly slow on the first two, but they were both ordered over Christmas so that would explain a lot. Sizing wasn't a worry because I was buying pairs of the same shoes I already owned. Saved quite a bit of money too - quite a few shops in Dublin looking for €115 for my Mizuno Wave Inspire 6's, but I got one pair for £65 and the other for £55.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I buy from Wiggle, Startfitness and Sweatshop. It's a long time since I bought runners in a bricks and mortar shop. I know I should be supporting Irish shops and all that but I can't afford to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I've bought a pair from Amazon, they were fine. I'd only buy online when I was getting exactly the same pair as I already have because, as you say, I'd want to try on a pair first.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

I've brought some on ebay' the postage to Ireland puts the price up but there are still bargains to be had

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Bought the last several pairs from Wiggle. But only buying replacements of the same shoes, or slightly upgraded models. They always delivered pretty quick to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

And just to prove why I don't buy from Irish shops, new model of runners that I want €90 in an Irish shop €75 on wiggle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Never had any problems from www.sub4.ie . An Irish outfit so you'll most likely get stuff cheaper from the UK outfits mentioned above, but I'd prefer to buy local. Usually not that muchin the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Caprica

Thanks everyone. Just purchased a new pair of Mizuno wave inspire on Up and Running (never of heard of them) for Stg£65 (incl £10 for p&p). Cheapest I seen them in the shops was €115 and for €99 on line, not a bad saving.

I can wait a week or two for delivery, just want them broken in for the Paris marathon. They are currently having a clearance sale on their Mizuno running shoes and other stuff.

http://upandrunning.co.uk/websales/clearance.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jogmeister

I agree with gerrard65. I try to buy local whenever I can, I know the lads in the local sports shop and I dont begrudge them their jobs for the sake of a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Bought a pair of trail shoes off Wiggle.co.uk.

I got Soloman XT Wings, and had to sent them back as they were quite small fitting, I had to get them a half size larger.

No hassle sending them back to wiggle, with the exception of the cost on my end, but it still worked out cheaper than purchasing here.

That said, I bought 2 pairs in a local shop recently, I think If I was getting a newer pair of them next year, I might purchase online, I bought locally because I didn't want to get the sizes wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That's where I got mine CK, however I did read in the user reviews that they were small fitting an to go a half size bigger which I did. However I had to buy mine online, I'm a size 7/7.5 and no bricks and mortar stores in Dublin and Wicklow that stocked them stocked anything below a size 8. How you finding them ? I find they rub my arch too much as soon as I go over 5k now so I'm not too happy about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Well there are frig all shops where I am doing decent runners, never mind trail shoes, so thats one of the reasons why I went online.

Anyways, the XT Wings didn't work out, I wore them in a few adventure races, but they are supposed to have good support for over pronators like me. Not a bit, the shoes seem to collapse at the arch when running in them, very poor.

I bought a pair of Mizuno Cabrakans in Amphibian King, drove down to Galway to them, I hope they work out better, I have yet to try them.

Advertisement