Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grow my own

Options
  • 13-02-2011 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

What would ye suggest as something to start growing myself? I've a few berries in pots and had potatoes last year but dug up the garden since. Basically I'd love to grow lots of my own organic veg but don't want to try the impossible. Also Aldi this week has loads of gardening stuff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Well what veg do you like to eat? No point growing veg you don't like.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Planted, yesterday in small pots, cabbage, lolla rosa, iceberg, climbing beans, lemon grass, cauliflower, leeks and courgettes. All from seed obviously, pots indoors.

Spent about 5 hours over the weekend tidying up and feeding my raised beds. 6 in total. Going to have a bath tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Thanks for the responses. I love carrots, peppers, courgettes, onions, basically everything. Are those pots all kept inside? Just wondering. Have a smallish garden, not keen on pots inside as have a child just starting to walk. I can see that causing trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 westportpoultry

broccolli grows very well, radishes, onions too. Love broccolli!

Thanks for the responses. I love carrots, peppers, courgettes, onions, basically everything. Are those pots all kept inside? Just wondering. Have a smallish garden, not keen on pots inside as have a child just starting to walk. I can see that causing trouble!

Yeah. Pots kept inside. Still below zero outside at nights.
    Planted climbing beans in empty toilet rolls, lets the roots drop down nicely,

kids!!!! I had one of my Yorkshire terriers deliver one of the toilet rolls, complete with soil etc to me in bed this morning. This is a problem. He shredded another one this afternoon. Soil all over the carpet in the back room.

No probs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I forgot about brocolli, love it! Ok so in toilet rolls is it? And then they go outside? In the ground or pots? Apologies for the lack of knowledge, I've spuds growing but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

You can grow your own garlic outside this time of year. I have some growing outside all winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭karl tyrrell

someone told me last year to buy batchlors peas in the box i planted them and had peas growing all summer thay just keep growing anytime you pick them and so sweet

I forgot about brocolli, love it! Ok so in toilet rolls is it? And then they go outside? In the ground or pots? Apologies for the lack of knowledge, I've spuds growing but that's about it.

Things like beans and peas are good to grow in old bog rolls. Their roots shoot down a fair bit from the off when they sprout. You can then plant the whole lot in the ground later. Stuff a bit of newspaper in the bottom of the roll first to hold the potting compost.

Leeks should be done by this method aswell. To achieve the "white" stem on a leek, you then plant the sprouted leek in roll about 6/9 inches below the surface level in a hole, soil not covered in. As the leek shoots upwards, gradually fill in soil around the stem, thus achieving the white body, until eventually it reaches ground level. Did it last year first time and it worked a treat.

KEEP THE BOG ROLLS!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Planet X wrote: »

KEEP THE BOG ROLLS!

Absolutely

I use them every year for some of the above but also for sweet corn use the rolls to get them off to an early start in the cold greenhouse you get loads more cobs later in the year than plants sown in situ when the ground is warm enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭nc43

broccolli grows very well, radishes, onions too. Love broccolli!

Hi complete noob here I dont have a garden but I do have a balcony it is about 10ft long by 5ft wide it does not recieve direct sunlight as it is west facing, would it be possible for me to grow broccolli if I bought a window box and "seed and cutting compost" from lidl. . .do I just put some seeds into the compost and nothing else (maybe a little water? ) any basic tips much appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Courgettes are good but make sure you dig in some manure into the ground before planting, They give you a good crop off a small area if you keep harvesting them before they turn into marrows.

Broccoli I find ok but you get one main cut and can harvest the side shoot sprigs afterwards.

Go with mangetout if a small garden, you can keep harvesting regularly to get a decent crop. Peas in the pod only really worth it if you have a decent area to plant otherwise after shelling you might just have enough peas for dinner for two.

Spinach grows really well and even if you cant use it all cut back before it goes to seed and it will grow back.

Try strawberries in pots if you like some fruit or if you have a nice wet patch in the garden near a wall raspberries can give a good crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Hey there.

This is my 4th year of growing veg in suburban garden with mixed results. This year am a bit more organised...got some Raised beds in which will give some structure and formality to the garden. This year we are growing a bit of everything...carrots, onions, spring onions, turnip, swede, cabbage, lettuce, beetroot, peas, broad beans, leeks. Havent planted anything out yet...all are in seed trays and under cover.

Definitely doing the sequential gardening....sowing the same type of veg a few weeks apart. It will prolonbg the growing season for you. Have fail misserably with this each year, but am determined to do it this year. You should also make sure to mark (record) the rows/pots so you know what's what. Also keep a written record of what and when you sow stuff. I'm also recording other stuff like when stuff starts sprouting and how it grows over the season. This will give you a clue as to what grows best in your conditions.

I've also just sown 2 types of spud in the Front Garden (Maris Piper and Robinta). A neighbour of mine asked if they were spuds and said he wanted a few off me when they are ready....might inspire others to grow a bit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Planet X wrote: »
    Things like beans and peas are good to grow in old bog rolls. Their roots shoot down a fair bit from the off when they sprout. You can then plant the whole lot in the ground later. Stuff a bit of newspaper in the bottom of the roll first to hold the potting compost.

Leeks should be done by this method aswell. To achieve the "white" stem on a leek, you then plant the sprouted leek in roll about 6/9 inches below the surface level in a hole, soil not covered in. As the leek shoots upwards, gradually fill in soil around the stem, thus achieving the white body, until eventually it reaches ground level. Did it last year first time and it worked a treat.

KEEP THE BOG ROLLS!

Never heard of that! I did leeks last yeat just planted straight in, and they came up lovely with a white stem! Same with peas and runner beans.
    The only thing with runner beans, as with lettuce, sprouts, cabbage etc is that slugs and snails love em'!
    For the runner beans, I just bought the cheapest biggest pot I could find and planted them in there to grow up canes.
    Worked a treat. I might try your method and compare for fun

Advertisement