Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something going on along the river

Options
  • 13-02-2011 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Crossing the river at Bridge Street there and there seems to be a bit of drama - lots of Guards running up and down the riverside walkway and people standing peering into the water. Now I hear a helicopter buzzing overhead.
    All the signs of someone going into the river - I hope it's not the case, the flow is fairly serious at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Sounds bad, hopefully not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭bigtuna

The search and rescue helicopter is out. It seems to be going along the river. Hope it is not bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Helicopter seems to be coming inland a bit as well (maybe towards the docks area?) because its been sounding like its right on top of my house a few times now and i'm between shop street at the docks.

I really hope nothing bad has happened and it's just a false alarm :(

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

It dosent look good. Search and Rescue helicopter is scouring the river with its floodlight from Salmon Weir bridge out as far as Dun Aengus. Guards, Fire Brigade and ambulances out in force at the bridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Oisín Collins

Helicopter up by the Cathedral now, lights trained on the river and the canal. Any early reports on who/where they think someone may have fallen in?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Chopper passed over Newcastle area there, en route to hospital maybe? Would be better news than back to Shannon or wherever...

Any more news in the last half hour or so? Chopper seemed to go quiet for a good while then back, but not as loud, maybe further down towards the river?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Don't know anything but I'd say was a suicide attempt, too early for it to be a drunken mistake surely.

THFC wrote: »
    Don't know anything but I'd say was a suicide attempt, too early for it to be a drunken mistake surely.

Best not to make any conclusions, even off the cuff, until all the facts have come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭bigtuna

The helicopter seems to be going up as far as the cathedral and back towards the docks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The helicopter is out over the bay now, looks like a boat is out there as well probably the inshore lifeboat.
    Doesn't look good I'm afraid. :(

Best not to make any conclusions, even off the cuff, until all the facts have come out.
    Lest you get banned or something :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Hopefully it's a training exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

Lest you get banned or something :rolleyes:

Not nice to speculate though, tragedy, grieving family and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 red_hot_nirvana

Just heard the helicopter go out by Doughiska. Maybe the search is over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Do you know someone who saw it?

I was just talking to a friend who was on his way to my place and saw all the drama unfold, he asked a guy in the street and that's what he told him.

Don't hold me to it of course, I'm just telling what I heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

galwayrush wrote: »
    Hopefully it's a training exercise.

They dont do training exercises over built up areas. Only training into and out of Hospital pads, other than that it is all out at sea or mountain training with Mountain rescue or CG Units.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

christ sake do you people slow down to get a good look as you drive by accidents?

want info? phone the guards or wait for the news, whats the point in the ongoing speculation.

bloo wrote: »
    christ sake do you people slow down to get a good look as you drive by accidents?

want info? phone the guards or wait for the news, whats the point in the ongoing speculation.

Or we could just ask here and try spread the info that is out there. The point in speculation is that someone may have good info, and the guards aren't exactly good on releasing info about accidents to everyone.

bloo wrote: »
    Yes, morbid curiosity and all that. Same reason I check my exam results.

• Advertisement

R115 ( EI-GCE ) went for a hot* re-fuel, now back on scene.

Hot re-fuel-Refuelling while not shut-down ready to get Airborne ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Hearing the chopper myself. If someone went in I hope they're found in time. If anyone actually knows what's happening I'd be glad to hear it. There's been too much of this sort of thing lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

From what I've been told it is a man, and apparently his family was present at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Michael Angelo.

the heli can be tracked here..

http://marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?centerx=30&centery=25&zoom=2&level1=140

i really hope this is resolved without any losses..

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

From what I've been told it is a man, and apparently his family was present at the time.

I've heard this too. Pretty tragic.

The Twitter is better.

http://irishsar.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

all gone silent now.. the fire and rescue lads went off in the jeep a few mins ago... fingers crossed it's a false alarm and the rumours aren't true

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Michael Angelo.

Im conscious there may be a person in the river and i know it may be inappropriate putting up a heli tracking site, i hope no one takes any offence. The main thing is obviously a safe recovery. Heres hoping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Hope they got them. I was leaving my nephew into town there around half five and saw the cops up around the Cathedral.

Bloody cold weather there. Water would be freezing.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Update: body was recovered from mutton island area at 09.05

Source: Coastguard comms.

Advertisement