Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something going on along the river

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Fiddlesnap

Would a Galway road fatality not get a mention here? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    More people die in the Corrib than on Galway Roads every year. We don't start a thread on every road smash and I am getting really sick of these ones. Anybody who does not know what the helicopter is at is utterly undeserving of any consideration around here. :(

what has road crashes got to do with this? there have been plenty of road crashes mentioned on here by the way. Also, a road crash and somebody going into the river are two entirely separate things. Don't see your point on your post at all. But if you are getting sick of this post then just ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

what has road crashes got to do with this? there have been plenty of road crashes mentioned on here by the way. Also, a road crash and somebody going into the river are two entirely separate things. Don't see your point on your post at all. But if you are getting sick of this post then just ignore it.

Completely agree with dolphin city, I have read about every major car crash that has taken place in Galway City and has been posted and commented on in this forum, what is the point in posters saying they dont like it, dont add a comment to this story, read it and go away, its a fact of life that it will be posted and in the media its human nature to talk about and specaulate on events happening not just in Galway, check out the rest of the counties in the forum same things going on, nothing new to Galway

Just in case its not coming across our prayers and thoughts are with the family involved and have always been expressed on the forum for any tragic event that has happened here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Aerohead wrote: »
    Are you seriously saying the the family of the unfortunate person who is missing check this board to see what posters are saying, most people dont even know the board exists. The posts on here are saying nothing bad towards anyone.

It's surprising how many people check boards. It comes up in google search. When someone was missing recently, a lot of the persons family overseas went on here to check for updates (as well as ringing people). People just wanted updates I think.

I think if there's an ongoing search for someone by 'civillians' in addition to the regular search procedure, then it's ok to post that info here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

inisboffin wrote: »
    It's surprising how many people check boards. It comes up in google search. When someone was missing recently, a lot of the persons family overseas went on here to check for updates (as well as ringing people). People just wanted updates I think.

I think if there's an ongoing search for someone by 'civillians' in addition to the regular search procedure, then it's ok to post that info here.

Spot on there inisboffin and if I remember correctly some of the members on the board were involved in the search for the missing person, so lots of good come from the board as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok, some stuff removed.
    It's ok to discuss this in very general terms but it's not ok to speculate on who it was/is
    and also not ok to speculate on cause of death.
    I understand people's need for news/closure but until we have official news - please don't fuel rumours.

When these matter become public knowledge a link to the news source can be posted and a RIP thread be set up.
    Hope this is ok with everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Aerohead wrote: »
    Are you seriously saying the the family of the unfortunate person who is missing check this board to see what posters are saying, most people dont even know the board exists. The posts on here are saying nothing bad towards anyone.

The last stats I saw were that boards had something like 1.4 million active users in the last month. Ok, it was a while ago, and I may be mis-quoting both the value and the time period. But a huge number of Irish people do know about boards, it's actually a serious player in the social media scene in Ireland.

I'm not in favour of banning these threads, provided people behave decently. The garda keep family and perhaps close friends up to date with what's happening. But for each event, there are many other not-so-close friends and acquaintances who very much in sympathy with the family / close-friends, but who are highly interested in knowing what's going on.

They can also be educational:

Hands up - who here knows what to do if you see someone fall into the river?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0216/galway.html
    The body of a man has been recovered in the Claddagh Basin in Galway by members of the Garda Sub Aqua Unit.
    It is believed to be that of a man in his 50s who was seen entering the water at the Salmon Weir Bridge in the city last Sunday evening.
    The four-day search was assisted by Galway RNLI Lifeboats and a Coast Guard helicopter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Man's body recovered from Claddagh Basin

The body of a man has been recovered in the Claddagh Basin in Galway by members of the Garda Sub Aqua Unit.
    It is believed to be that of a man in his 50s who was seen entering the water at the Salmon Weir Bridge in the city last Sunday evening.
    The four-day search was assisted by Galway RNLI Lifeboats and a Coast Guard helicopter

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0216/galway.html

R.I.P :(

Advertisement