Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Charity' bag packers collecting in Tesco

• 13-02-2011 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

Up in Ardkeen Tesco doing the shop yesterday and noticed the collectors doing the bag packing this week were from Pat Rockett kickboxing academy. I have seen soccer, hurling clubs, scouts etc which would in my mind would be fair enough. Is the kickboxing club not a private enterprise and if it is surely they should not be there. Anyone know the status of the club ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

You are not compelled to contribute, if you don't want to give something you don't have to.What's you'r problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

I personally hate these 'Helpers' and always ask them to leave the packing to ourselves, as they don't seem to get, putting heavy items on top of things like yougarts or cleaning items in with food items is a no-no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭suirfire

thomasm wrote: »
    Up in Ardkeen Tesco doing the shop yesterday and noticed the collectors doing the bag packing this week were from Pat Rockett kickboxing academy. I have seen soccer, hurling clubs, scouts etc which would in my mind would be fair enough. Is the kickboxing club not a private enterprise and if it is surely they should not be there. Anyone know the status of the club ?

Is there any difference between a football club, hurling club,scouts or the Kickboxing club They are all doing something good for kids/teenagers and keeping them off the street so why not support them to keep these clubs running.......

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Wouldn't think the Kickboxing club needs any less money to run then say the scouts. The few euros they charge wouldn't cover the price of rent or heat for the gym they use. I'm guessing you pay affiliation fee's to enter competitions, pay insurance etc..

Hardly a money making exercise by the coaches more than likely costing them money just to keep the sport going..

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Funfair wrote: »
    Wouldn't think the Kickboxing club needs any less money to run then say the scouts. The few euros they charge wouldn't cover the price of rent or heat for the gym they use. I'm guessing you pay affiliation fee's to enter competitions, pay insurance etc..

Hardly a money making exercise by the coaches more than likely costing them money just to keep the sport going..

And I'm sure Tesco dont let organisations in willy nilly to do this without vetting them fully as to where the donations are going, otherwise you'd have every scam merchant in the country trying to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

suirfire wrote: »
    Is there any difference between a football club, hurling club,scouts or the Kickboxing club They are all doing something good for kids/teenagers and keeping them off the street so why not support them to keep these clubs running.......

The difference is that soccer hurling etc are not private businesses. The are run by volunteers. Most of the karate/kickboxing clubs are run by someone as a private business to make a profit for that person. So surely this is no different than for example the local shop doing a collection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

The difference is that soccer hurling etc are not private businesses. The are run by volunteers. Most of the karate/kickboxing clubs are run by someone as a private business to make a profit for that person. So surely this is no different than for example the local shop doing a collection

I think its a fair point. The people who train an underage soccer club, a hurling team, or the scouts get paid zero. Lots of people also do things for younger people, like give piano lessons for profit.

I think its reasonable to expect that the money is going to the kiddies rather than a professional trainer. But who was doing the packing? If it was the kiddies doing it I doubt they were doing it just to hand the money over to a personal trainer.

I'd expect the money is straight for the children/teenagers. I think Tesco should only allow bag packing for such group.

Also, I think the scouts are best at bag packing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

It's hard to have an opinion without knowing the full facts.

Maybe they want to go to the states for a tournament or a young lad got injured.

I have to say I can see the OP's point but I'm Daysha is right and it's for something and not going to the coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

whatever aout the "charity" collections,what drives me insane is the people from sky or from airtricity trying to grab ya as you're going out the door.Its bad enough having the pricks call round at least once a week let alone being accosted by them when you're doing your shopping.I don't mind the sky as much but the other day when airtricity was there the two guys were a bit too aggressive in their technique.I don't know what deal they have with tesco ardkeen but its definately putting off any one I've talked to from going in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Meatwad wrote: »
    whatever aout the "charity" collections,what drives me insane is the people from sky or from airtricity trying to grab ya as you're going out the door.Its bad enough having the pricks call round at least once a week let alone being accosted by them when you're doing your shopping.I don't mind the sky as much but the other day when airtricity was there the two guys were a bit too aggressive in their technique.I don't know what deal they have with tesco ardkeen but its definately putting off any one I've talked to from going in there.

they;re at the door of all the really big tescos, like clonmel and new ross.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Meatwad wrote: »

What makes it even worse in my view is that they often position themselves beside the charity people. Most people try to rush past the Sky people to avoid being accosted. But this means they don't stop to give something to the charity, even if they like the charity, because they know they'll be then harassed by the Sky person.

So the sky people are costing the charities money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Tesco, etc, really need to stop this practice of allowing "bag packers" to collect for charties inside the shop, its really really annoying.

You go in to buy a few things and when money is tight the last thing you need is to be embarassed into giving people money that you dont have to give to charities you couldn't give two hoots about. These shops are businesses, the need to start remembering this, lots of customers do not like this "bag packing" lark.

Why would you want the wrong things put in the wrong bags so that unpacking shopping is, twice the pain in the arse it is anyway, and then you are expected to give for this pleasure - feck off with the trying to embarass money out of me - bloody cheek - and yes you don't have to give but your bloody well made feel as if you have to give. :o

The other thing is if these charties are not trying to intimidate already harassed shoppers into giving them money, why don't they collect at the entrance like the did in the past. You can hardly call, messing up peoples shopping a helpful service now.

Some people who end up giving money probably need it more then the "receiver" of the collection money - but some people wouldn't give to say that they couldn't afford to put a few bob in a collection - even when they can't afford to put a few bob in a collection - its a very unfair practice that needs to end now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Jubo

I personally hate having my bags packed, bit of a pet hate of mine but what I would think is useful is if they offered to put the shopping onto the conveyor belt for you instead of packing at the other end. Would give you more time to organise yourself at the other end. I just like to pack my bags without the bread etc being squashed at the bottom. I have packed bags myself as my kids play at a particular soccer club and I was under a little pressure to help out and its amazing how many people really hate having help packing. You can see the glint in their eye and quite honestly, I dont blame 'em!

I have never once given money to a bag packer, I pack by press in my kitchen, I'd be surprised if they can offer that service.

Tell Tesco what you think of them: www.tescocomments.ie

Enter store number 3695 for Ardkeen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ that's a good idea, I generally do a bag for:

Meat
    Detergents
    everything else

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I have never once given money to a bag packer, I pack by press in my kitchen, I'd be surprised if they can offer that service.

Tell Tesco what you think of them: www.tescocomments.ie

Enter store number 3695 for Ardkeen.

Ta for that, I have just filed a complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 FadeStGal

Ta for that, I have just filed a complaint.

A complaint?? :eek:

Harsh.

If you do not want their help, just tell them you want to do it yourself? :confused:

If Tesco were to say 'no' to clubs/charities etc then surely this would lead to bad press for them?

They are being supportive to local groups and offering a service to customers. Customers can choose whether to avail of the service and whether to contribute.

FSG X

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

I can only speak for GAA, does anyone realise the costs involved in running a GAA club, most don’t charge for training and would pencil in a bag pack as a fund raiser at the start of the season.

Any club that trains kids in any sport deserves a few cents off the General Public to help keep these clubs going. I know you may have no interest in the sport that they are collecting for but at least it gives kids an outlet and keeps them away from anti-social behaviour at the very least.

That few cents could save your window being smashed or your car mirror being kicked off or it could get you a good night sleep without a shower of gob ****es shouting and balling outside your house at night.

I believe most kids that part take in sport are less likely to be involved in the above behaviour and all sports clubs should be supported, if you can’t volunteer your time at least throw a few cent into the collection box as it’s good for your community in general and if your local guy or team wins a trophy it gives every one a lift.

The only collectors I hate are the ones that collect at Traffic lights.. How the hell these people get away with it is beyond me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I'd feel like a right bollox telling them to feck away from ne shopping but I think that's the whole point of it. Ya can't really say you have no change when the person asking for it is standing beside you when you get your change. They get enough off me as it is lol

seanybiker wrote: »
    I'd feel like a right bollox telling them to feck away from ne shopping but I think that's the whole point of it. Ya can't really say you have no change when the person asking for it is standing beside you when you get your change. They get enough off me as it is lol

You don't need to be a b****x surely?

F**k away?

How about "No thanks, I'll do that."

:confused:

FSG X

• Advertisement

I think half the tills should have bag packers and half not, for example from the middle down to the alcohol section with no packers.

Then you'd pass the packers on the way out the door any and you could donate if you wanted to.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I think half the tills should have bag packers and half not, for example from the middle down to the alcohol section with no packers.

Then you'd pass the packers on the way out the door any and you could donate if you wanted to.

Good thinking Batman

Yeah and I'll go to the self-scan and by-pass them all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Right as someone whose charity group bag packs I feel I have to say something ,
    When we bag pack your members are shown how to pack.... light stuff and breakables to the top , toiletries etc separate and so on ,
    We also always leave 1 or 2 tills free of members
    and all members are told to step back when finished packing a customers bags so as not to put the hard sell on .
    As a small club/charity bag packing funds are a massive help to your group and without it we would really struggle.

As for comment about telling the young members who give up there time to help their groups to feck off .Totally out of order IMO... (Anyway more likely online hardness ,kegboard warriors flexing their imaginary muscles that something that actually happens )

Great post ROCKMAN :D

I particularly enjoyed this:

ROCKMAN wrote: »

As for comment about telling the young members who give up there time to help their groups to feck off .Totally out of order IMO... (Anyway more likely online hardness ,kegboard warriors flexing their imaginary muscles that something that actually happens )

FSG X

Since when is telling some child bumming money to feck off hard?
    If your going to going by exactly what someone says in a reply then I will fix my feck off comment and change it to " I would ignore the packer and carry on with my life".

Stepping back after the packing is done is still a hard sell. Some people might feel obliged to pay the person because it was done. Offering to do it would be better imo.

If your going to going by exactly what someone says in a reply then I will fix my feck off comment and change it to " I would ignore the packer and carry on with my life".

Child bumming money?? Anyone else think this character is on a wind-up?

You know well it's for a cause.
    seanybiker wrote:
    Stepping back after the packing is done is still a hard sell. Some people might feel obliged to pay the person because it was done. Offering to do it would be better imo.

Why are you still arguing? :confused:

You have already been told that tills are left free. Use those if you really fear the social situation that much.

FSG X

FadeStGal wrote: »
    Child bumming money?? Anyone else think this character is on a wind-up?

You know well it's for a cause.

Why are you still arguing? :confused:

You have already been told that tills are left free. Use those if you really fear the social situation that much.

I'm trying to ignore you because I find you extremely annoying.
    I replied to someone else not you so your opinion means absolutely nothing to me . I replied about the packing being already done. That would mean that it was not a free till I was talking about which if you read my post you might have being able to comprehend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

not hard !thats my point , Just totally wrong and anyone doing or saying something like that to a CHILD would be a d**k IMO

How would you feel if it was your son/daughter ....niece/nephew...??????

• Advertisement

I'm trying to ignore you because I find you extremely annoying.
    I replied to someone else not you so your opinion means absolutely nothing to me . I replied about the packing being already done. That would mean that it was not a free till I was talking about which if you read my post you might have being able to comprehend.

Haven't you been shown how to use the ignore feature?

Jog on....

FSG X

Advertisement