Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Charity' bag packers collecting in Tesco

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    not hard !thats my point , Just totally wrong and anyone doing or saying something like that to a CHILD would be a d**k IMO

How would you feelif it was your son/daughter ....niece/nephew...??????

It's not my child or nice/nephew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Ta for that, I have just filed a complaint.

So... people HELP you and you complain..?

God, some people are so grumpy. Do yourself a favour- lock yourself in your and house and don't ever enter society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 FadeStGal

seanybiker wrote: »
    It's not my child or nice/nephew.

:rolleyes:

Congratulations! You have reached Level 6 Trolling.

Just 3 more levels to get to newportwex's standard :P

FSG X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Actually I've found something worse than bag-packers in Tesco - and it's the people who now follow me around the Tesco car park asking if they can "wash car lady".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Stepping back after the packing is done is still a hard sell. Some people might feel obliged to pay the person because it was done. Offering to do it would be better imo.

As for this part of your post fare enough ,
    but your members learn quickly who wants help and who doesn't , Some people will hand over their empty bags , some people just say no thanks , Some just grunt :), some just step into the end of the till with their bags in their hands...... when these things happens your members are told to step back straight away and not get in the way ,

• Advertisement

As for this part of your post fare enough , but your members learn quickly who wants help and who doesn't , Some people will hand over their empty bags , some people just say no thanks , Some just grunt :), some just step into the end of the till with their bags in their hands...... when these things happens your members are told to step back straight away and not get in the way ,
    I'm sure they can tell who does or does not want help and stand back help depending on the person but obviously they can't read everyone o some people might feel obliged to pay. Obviously they might stand back at someone who looks narky but wouldn't mind the help therefore losing money.

I'm sure they can tell who does or does not want help and stand back help depending on the person but obviously they can't read everyone o some people might feel obliged to pay. Obviously they might stand back at someone who looks narky but wouldn't mind the help therefore losing money.

I know what you mean about people feeling obiliged , But as a group leader all i can do is make sure that our members act and behave in an appropriate manner and adopt procedures/practices that do not add additional pressures to the shop customers .

PS the funniest thing is over the years some of our biggest tips have come from people who have packed the bags themselves..

I know what you mean about people feeling obiliged , But as a group leader all i can do is make sure that our members act and behave in an appropriate manner and adopt procedures/practices that do not add additional pressures to the shop customers .
    ah sure that's all ya can do like. I'll stick with my usual way of giving money to the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I think half the tills should have bag packers and half not, for example from the middle down to the alcohol section with no packers.

Then you'd pass the packers on the way out the door any and you could donate if you wanted to.

I agree. But normally I think its done like that, always a few non-packer tills. Plus there is the self-scan. I did bag packing once or twice when I was a teenager, and I always go to the packers. I often pack it myself, or give the person what to pack, or ask them to put all this together, depending on how I judge their packing skills (scouts are best packers, I'd never let someone from a boxing club pack my eggs, but would allow them tenderize my steak :)).

I have enough money and am never too short of cash to go to the pub or cinema or something. So I'm happy to give it to the GAA or scouts or whatever. I know where the money is going.

I understand there are a very small minority in Ireland who are completely broke, who don't have money for heating or decent food. But how many people? Ireland is still one of the richest countries in the world, and someone on the dole in Ireland has better money than the vast majority of the world. Spread the love, its Valentines Day!!!

(But don't get me started on the people who collect for Concern and so on. They get paid up to €14 an hour to harass people with clipboards. So if you give €7 a month you'd have to give for 8 months just to pay for those bastards to stand outside harassing people for one single day. That's before anything even goes on administration.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

dayshah wrote: »
    (But don't get me started on the people who collect for Concern and so on. They get paid up to €14 an hour to harass people with clipboards. So if you give €7 a month you'd have to give for 8 months just to pay for those bastards to stand outside harassing people for one single day. That's before anything even goes on administration.)
    One of these chuggers collecting for some animal charity asked me if I liked animals. I said to him, 'medium rare with a side of chips'. The charity bag packers in Tesco are a different issue as they are doing useful work.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

jmcc wrote: »
    One of these chuggers collecting for some animal charity asked me if I liked animals. I said to him, 'medium rare with a side of chips'. The charity bag packers in Tesco are a different issue as they are doing useful work.

Regards...jmcc

I agree 100%. You know exactly where the money is going.

(RE animals, I once said to a vegetarian who thought I was really sound 'I love animals, they're delicious'. She never really spoke to me again.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

jmcc wrote: »
    One of these chuggers collecting for some animal charity asked me if I liked animals. I said to him, 'medium rare with a side of chips'.

Regards...jmcc

I had a pair of the barnardoes chuggers try and corner me by the meteor shop a while back. After I had said I wasn't interested they followed me and, a bit louder than was neccessary, they both start with the 'don't you care about children?' line.
    To which I replied 'Yeah of course i care. Sometimes I let them live.'
    They were disgusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭daithi2011

Im glad the checkouts are beside the entrance in supermarkets.
    Whenever I go in, if I see packers at the till, its an about turn out the door and on to the other supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I have never once given money to a bag packer, I pack by press in my kitchen, I'd be surprised if they can offer that service.

Tell Tesco what you think of them: www.tescocomments.ie

Enter store number 3695 for Ardkeen.

website wont work for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Why does yer man who called himself after that annoying show post in pink?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭totallytrees

Or if you sign up once then you can ignore them forever more :) Its hard to get people to work for free, especially out on the streets. There is so much co-ordination involved in charity work, obviously some of the donations has to go towards that.

If 5% goes to street sellers/admin, at least I know 95% is doing some good. When disasters like Haiti happen, I already know my money is on its way. IMO its better than giving money to beggars to buy a packet of fags.

Or if you sign up once then you can ignore them forever more :) Its hard to get people to work for free, especially out on the streets. There is so much co-ordination involved in charity work, obviously some of the donations has to go towards that.

If 5% goes to street sellers/admin, at least I know 95% is doing some good. When disasters like Haiti happen, I already know my money is on its way. IMO its better than giving money to beggars to buy a packet of fags.

There are plenty of people who do volunteer for free, and these chuggers give all collectors a bad name. Most charities don't use them. I was signed up with Concern and that didn't stop the harassment. So I cancelled my DD with Concern and set one up with Trocaire instead.

I saw a job ad a few years back and they were paid €14/hr, more than I was paid when I was donating to Concern. I consider these people scum who are using the image of starving Africans to pocket €14/hr for themselves. And what really sickens me is that they convince themselves that they are doing good work for charity, rather than leaching from the most variable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

It'd actually be closer to 95% administrative fees, 5% towards the end cause. Take a look at this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056173075&highlight=charities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

These 'charity' people are everywhere and I wish they'd just go away.

Half the time it's not even a charity at all its just some 'fundraiser' for someone elses hobby.

TBF I dont give a fk whether you and your local cycling club does a Comeragh race every year. Its your own private hobby so pay for it yourself rather than pretending its something for the greater good that is worth 'community support'.

I dont expect anyone to pay for my private hobby either.

Plus the practical aspect of it. They usually send their kids and they're ****e at packing bags.

Boskowski wrote: »

that be savage. Fundraiser for my beer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Boskowski wrote: »
    These 'charity' people are everywhere and I wish they'd just go away.

Half the time it's not even a charity at all its just some 'fundraiser' for someone elses hobby.

TBF I dont give a fk whether you and your local cycling club does a Comeragh race every year. Its your own private hobby so pay for it yourself rather than pretending its something for the greater good that is worth 'community support'.

Plus the practical aspect of it. They usually send their kids and they're ****e at packing bags.

Somebody is having a bad day at the office.. I bet you didn't mean to say half of that... You log on later and go "Christ I'm a right miserable git writing that" ...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

The problem is this, I don't want to be put in a position where I have to tell some well intentioned kid or adult that I dont want my bags packed by them, and as I almost always pay by debit card, neither do I want to be put in a position were I have to tell a stranger I don't have money.

I am a customer at Tesco's, and they should consider sthat I do not go to shopping there in order to be pressured for charity or otherwise - the reason collectors are at the till and not the door is to pressure people by providing a service most people don't want.

Customer service and consideration wouldn't go amiss here - by all means all collections at the door - but keep people way from the tills, as the only point in them being there is to pressure people either covertly or in some cases overtly, while people get there change - manipulation of the highest order, not very considerate at all and not very charitable either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

no keep them away from the door, its a bottleneck without biddys rooting for their purse to donate, leave then at half the tills.

do you realise how militant school mums are? they'd have the place boycotted if they didn't have the opp to raise their 5 grand every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭YoureSoVain

Funfair wrote: »
    I can only speak for GAA, does anyone realise the costs involved in running a GAA club, most don’t charge for training and would pencil in a bag pack as a fund raiser at the start of the season.

Any club that trains kids in any sport deserves a few cents off the General Public to help keep these clubs going. I know you may have no interest in the sport that they are collecting for but at least it gives kids an outlet and keeps them away from anti-social behaviour at the very least.

That few cents could save your window being smashed or your car mirror being kicked off or it could get you a good night sleep without a shower of gob ****es shouting and balling outside your house at night.

I believe most kids that part take in sport are less likely to be involved in the above behaviour "

Oh FGS! I hate this kind of attitude! Boredom is no excuse for vandalism or any other criminal behaviour. I can't even say any more.....this kind of attitude really annoys me. I never played sport or was never part of any kind of club and I didn't feel the need to act like a scumbag. I kept myself busy, as did anyone from a respectable family

I can only speak for GAA, does anyone realise the costs involved in running a GAA club, most don’t charge for training and would pencil in a bag pack as a fund raiser at the start of the season.

Any club that trains kids in any sport deserves a few cents off the General Public to help keep these clubs going. I know you may have no interest in the sport that they are collecting for but at least it gives kids an outlet and keeps them away from anti-social behaviour at the very least.

That few cents could save your window being smashed or your car mirror being kicked off or it could get you a good night sleep without a shower of gob ****es shouting and balling outside your house at night.

I believe most kids that part take in sport are less likely to be involved in the above behaviour "

Oh FGS! I hate this kind of attitude! Boredom is no excuse for vandalism or any other criminal behaviour. I can't even say any more.....this kind of attitude really annoys me. I never played sport or was never part of any kind of club and I didn't feel the need to act like a scumbag. I kept myself busy, as did anyone from a respectable family

This is not an attitude, this is the reality of the world we live in and many Teenagers need an outlet to get away from hanging on street corners etc. Sport is just one of many distractions for children, you also have the scouts, music societies, Foroige etc..
    Maybe you should get involved and you could change the "I" to we

This is not an attitude, this is the reality of the world we live in and many Teenagers need an outlet to get away from hanging on street corners etc. Sport is just one of many distractions for children, you also have the scouts, music societies, Foroige etc..

Its nice to see them mention ,its a big organisation but not really well know to the general public if you know what i mean..

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭totallytrees

There are plenty of people who do volunteer for free, and these chuggers give all collectors a bad name. Most charities don't use them. I was signed up with Concern and that didn't stop the harassment. So I cancelled my DD with Concern and set one up with Trocaire instead.

Ahh sorry, I didn't realise your issue was with Concern specifically, I thought you were just talking about all charities who do the street work. I'm signed with Oxfam so that's cool :)

I used to be in foroige years ago. Biggest hape of ****e. Presume its better than it used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭YoureSoVain

I wouldn't have time to get involved with Foroige.....I am up to my eyes in charity work! And u now who should keep teenagers off the streets...their parents. Children are not supposed to rear themselves

• Advertisement

I used to be in foroige years ago. Biggest hape of ****e. Presume its better than it used to be

I wouldn't be qualified to answer as I only know they clash with training in our club every now again..

Advertisement