Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else getting itchy fingers as the days lengthen?

Options
  • 13-02-2011 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I'm no gardener by instinct but I really can't wait for Spring to er spring with some warm sun and drying grass and just get out there cutting, chopping, edging and generally tidying up the garden.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Ye mike there's been some nice bright sunshine over the past few days and it's bright till six these days so we're not far away. I particularly love the smell of the grasses first cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 blueray

Ah yes ..looking foward to the sun on my face.this year i'm trying to grow a few veg so i'll be looking for some helpfull tips....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Noticed in the garden that there are lots of seedlings coming up. Don't know if they are weeds (probably are) or seeds dropped from last summer but the soil is warming up and it's a good sign :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Me too Mike :D

Spent several hours in the garden yesterday doing not very relevant stuff such as a bit of weeding, sweeping, etc. It's too early to seed anything and the grass isn't growing yet either. Felt a bit useless but at least I was out in the air and in the sun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 garr23

unkel wrote: »
    Me too Mike :D

Spent several hours in the garden yesterday doing not very relevant stuff such as a bit of weeding, sweeping, etc. It's too early to seed anything and the grass isn't growing yet either. Felt a bit useless but at least I was out in the air and in the sun :)

Really?!? :confused: Last week I planted some chilli seeds, onion seeds, and herbs and they're just starting to show through now. I had planned on delaying the tomato seeds for a little while in case they get 'leggy', but thought these above seeds should be ok. I saved some for a later sowing, anyway, just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Now if only the wet weather would go away for a few days and give the soil a chance to dry out a bit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

Tomorrow, Saturday is my first day back on the allotment since the end of October. Lots to do, but I can't wait to get back into it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Thanos wrote: »
    Now if only the wet weather would go away for a few days and give the soil a chance to dry out a bit!!

Exactly no point stomping all over the ground when its this wet you're going to undo any of the hard work from when you dug it over last year.

Compacting the soil and making mud bad idea.

Coffee, pondering, planning aka day dreaming, and patience are also required in gardening:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's getting to that time of year alright. I'm trying to work out how I can completely work over my garden with no skill, no space and no money.

Thinking of trying my hand at potatoes this year, along with other veg.

kylith wrote: »
    It's getting to that time of year alright. I'm trying to work out how I can completely work over my garden with no skill, no space and no money.

Thinking of trying my hand at potatoes this year, along with other veg.

No Problem start a new thread and we'll all throw in our tuppence worth:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Chaolins

whens the last frost usually?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

Chaolins wrote: »

Around the middle of march would be the start of planting out, I have a digger in tomorrow morning to get the ground ready :)

Chaolins wrote: »

depends where you are but most areas are frost free by mid May for setting out tender plants. They should still be gradually hardened off though prior to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I can't WAIT to get back out there, the garden is in friggin bits after that winter. Will pretty much be starting from scratch as the snow took care of pretty much everything.

Rosemary - dead
    Oregano - dead
    Peppers - dead
    Jalapenos - dead
    Cayennes - dead
    Basil - dead
    Tayberries - dead

The only things that survived were my strawberries and, ironically, a very straggly thyme plant that was on its last legs before the snow.

Aldi have had loads of home-growing stuff recently. Bought established asparagus, garlic & shallot setts this week along with about 6 different fruit trees. Just waiting for the ground to dry out a small bit before I plant them.

Think I'll start all my herbs today, I bought a 40-pot propagator (also in Aldi) so at least I can get cracking on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

where are you keeping the fruit trees in the meantime???? thinking of getting them but ground still 2 wet

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

always look forward to that little extra every evening, and for sunday, the only day off to do a bit outside.

paths need powerwashing, bed needs cleaning, greenhouse needs cleaning, shed needs cleaning, patio needs cleaning, grass needs cleaning.

km79 wrote: »
    where are you keeping the fruit trees in the meantime???? thinking of getting them but ground still 2 wet

If you can't get them in the ground put them into pots and compost with a little water or the roots will start to dry out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

wreckless wrote: »
    always look forward to that little extra every evening, and for sunday, the only day off to do a bit outside.

paths need powerwashing, bed needs cleaning, greenhouse needs cleaning, shed needs cleaning, patio needs cleaning, grass needs cleaning.

Join the club. Must be the season for a Spring clean? :D
    But the garden will look better for it and we'll feel great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I got as far as trimming the bottom of the leylandii yesterday so daffodil's could start to peek out.. didn't cut them last year so mid March I am going to get stuck in.

Have them 13 years and have kept them well under control at about 7-8ft high and approx 1.5ft deep - give great privacy but need lots of cutting! Always good for hiding a few footballs too.

Have great plans this year to plant lots of flowers and veg - was tempted with the lidl mini green houses last week but resisted. They had a good ground level one for growing lettuce etc in. Have a big conservatory so figure that can do a better job.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

I got as far as trimming the bottom of the leylandii yesterday so daffodil's could start to peek out.. didn't cut them last year so mid March I am going to get stuck in.

Have them 13 years and have kept them well under control at about 7-8ft high and approx 1.5ft deep - give great privacy but need lots of cutting! Always good for hiding a few footballs too.

Have great plans this year to plant lots of flowers and veg - was tempted with the lidl mini green houses last week but resisted. They had a good ground level one for growing lettuce etc in. Have a big conservatory so figure that can do a better job.

Paddy

dear,oh dear,oh dear...

My good old friend the leylandii!,Extremely high maintenance & should be from day 1 controlled/clipped the leylandii when let grow have some serious width in them and can sometimes go as far as 10ft wide!

They are in fact poisonous,as the exhale poisonous chemicals which can cause harm to your health/make sure they are well away from your gaff,Leylandii's also enjoy munching on the odd football,try prevent this from happening as they can choke on the rubber interior of the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

dear,oh dear,oh dear...

My good old friend the leylandii!,Extremely high maintenance & should be from day 1 controlled/clipped the leylandii when let grow have some serious width in them and can sometimes go as far as 10ft wide!

They are in fact poisonous,as the exhale poisonous chemicals which can cause harm to your health/make sure they are well away from your gaff,Leylandii's also enjoy munching on the odd football,try prevent this from happening as they can choke on the rubber interior of the ball.

I hear ye...

No these one's have been kept well under control. Get cut every year or twice some times. I find them OK for privacy as they drown out sound too.

Garden slopes ever so slightly so max height is 8 feet but at all points I can put my hand through and touch the wall behind them.

It is actually one of my neighbours tree's that is a bigger problem as it is sucking the end of my garden dry during the summer months and is causing a patio I have at far end of the garden to raise in places. The leylandii are all well behaved though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

I hear ye...

No these one's have been kept well under control. Get cut every year or twice some times. I find them OK for privacy as they drown out sound too.

Garden slopes ever so slightly so max height is 8 feet but at all points I can put my hand through and touch the wall behind them.

It is actually one of my neighbours tree's that is a bigger problem as it is sucking the end of my garden dry during the summer months and is causing a patio I have at far end of the garden to raise in places. The leylandii are all well behaved though:D

haha that's good!,yeah they really are ideal for privacy/Security!,once ye keep them controlled your sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Feelin' the same as everyone else. I have garlic and onions well above ground now as they were planted last October. Planted out some bare root raspberry, blackberry and blackcurrants on Friday, dug out anything that died due to snow, power hosed down the patio and planted seeds for snapdragons and a few boarder flowers indoors for planting out when the weather heats up. Roll on summer!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

oh yes. :D

found a packet of Naga Chilli seeds yesterday at Springmount garden center. These are the hottest in the world. :eek: All the others have done well before, so I hope these grow too. €5 for 6 seeds, they bleeden better grow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

wreckless wrote: »
    seeds yesterday at Springmount garden center. These are the hottest in the world. :eek: All the others have done well before, so I hope these grow too. €5 for 6 seeds, they bleeden better grow

I grew those indoors last year, I found them harder to grow than other chillis I've grown, think I only got about 10 off 2 plants but it was worth it to see my bf's face when I put them in a stir fry!!! :D

Advertisement