Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrets?

• 13-02-2011 8:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭

Anyone got a ferret? What are they like? Developed a cat allergy so i need something not to replace my cat but instead something to have some contact with? Where can you get one? They look very energetic, fun and playful

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Hey there, I've got two boys, and have to say they are definitely the best pets we have ever gotten. There's no known allergies to their hair as well so you should be fine.
    You'll probably have to get onto a breeder for one, though they mostly have hunting ferrets, if you get them young enough though they tame really well. Ours were sixteen weeks when we got them, and from hunting parents, but they're complete pets.
    Stay away from pet shops selling ferrets, its almost impossible to tell where they came from and you could end up with a very unhealthy ferret on your hands. Whether you want a male or female is up to you really but I've found the males to be a lot less nippy than females. Either way you'll have to get them neutered as females enter heat around six months and never come out of it, eventually developing plastic anemia, which will kill them. Males on the other hand, can become very aggressive if not neutered and will not use a litter tray even if you had them previously trained to it.

They are energetic, for the four/five hours a day that they're actually awake. Ferrets sleep most of the day, even more than cats, so they're great if you work; they wake up when you come in. You're much better off with two as they are absolutely hilarious when they're playing and they really need company. They can get very lonely if on their own. You'll also have to get a big enough cage; a rabbit cage wont do, you need something with height and plenty of tubes to run through, hammocks to hang out of and explore.
    A good quality food is also necessary; use either a high quality ferret food, or kitten food with over 34% protein.

Oh, and be warned, while unneutered, they really do smell :D

My girlfriend has 3 of them and she is allergic to cats , so no problems there. But there is nothing to say that you are not allergic to ferrets.

Try meet up with owners so you can see what they are like first hand. I have to say, they are great little animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Good pets but need to be got when still young otherwise will have problems with biting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

What would the life span of a ferret be?

Also OP have you found someone to adopt your cat that you have to give away?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

The average is 7/8 but they can live past ten if well taken care of.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭WeightierDisc

Not gettin rid of the cat sorry but if you want one just ring your local vet and they'll get one for you in no time

Advertisement