Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC Milan Away - Match Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Still fuming at the Flamini challenge. How long until Hutton is back?

Heroes though. Well proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

yidos

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

It's going to be tough to come down from this for our next match at least it's not till tuesday.

Also if anyone is doing the champions league Fantasy football it currently contains 8 Spurs men in the team of the week:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I just had a quick read of the thread in the soccer fourm. I forgot why I generally don't post over there but now I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Heh yeah it's a mess over there. Still, in fairness, lots of non-Spurs fans happy with how we went about our business and the result, even some of those that can't stand Spurs for whatever reason.

I didn't get to watch the match until about 10:30 last night, after my Dad spoiled it with an overjoyed text message! I thought we were absolutely brilliant in the first half, completely dominated, had the most opportunities, and were well deserving of the scoreline. Flamini should definitely have walked - I'm amazed he didn't.

AC picked things up in the 2nd half and only for a world-class save from Gomes we would've been a goal down. Our midfield tired, particularly Palacios who wasn't as effective as Sandro but I thought Harry's substitutions were spot on, with Modric and Krancjar coming on.

Brilliant counter-attacking goal. Much and all as scoring a goal with good build-up play delights me, there aren't many things as good as being under serious pressure and breaking away to score a goal, especially away from home and when it turns out to be the winner.

Not one player had a bad game, and it's not often we can say that. Brilliant performance and result and if we can just score a couple of goals in the return leg we'll be through, especially with Bale and Modric hopefully back to full fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭condor26

Crackin!!!
    The lads played really played well together, helped on by a very poor AC milan. Yep Milan had a couple of first team players ineligible but maybe it goes to show again the gulf in standard between the EPL and Serie A.
    COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭sniffingchimp

What a win lads, absolutely over the moon. Nearly punched the ceiling watching Crouch pop in the winner.

Anyone ready Gattuso's bull$hit on BBC Football? Apparently "Scottish" is a bona fide language these days.

"I lost control," said Gattuso, who had earlier pushed Jordan in the face. "There is no excuse for what I did. I take my responsibilities for that."
    The Italian, making his 450th appearance for the Rossoneri, added: "I was nervous. We were both speaking Scottish, something that I learned when I played in his home city of Glasgow, but I can't tell you what we said.

"I didn't want to argue with players and I did it with him, but I was wrong to do what I have done. I will have to await what they decide."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

i can't believe flamini got away with that right on the touchline close to the ref and the linesman and then got up and celebrated his foul with the crowd!.....how is it possible that a player can do that on live television and get away with it?....also gattuso raised his hands not once but about 5 times plus a head butt without any action being taken.....i thought his booking was slightly harsh!.....that ref was praised by the sky commentators....he was not in control

anyone reckon flamini will get a booing if he is on for the second leg (former gunner to boot)?

anyone know if pirlo will be fit for the second leg? would be sweet if flamini got banned, gattuso suspended, pirlo injured and van bommel cup tied

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭larry1

"When Chuck Norris goes to bed, he wears Joe Jordan pajamas"

Uefa waiting on refs report before handing out a punishment and confirmed because flamini received a caution no further action could be taken.

• Advertisement

larry1 wrote: »
    Classic post from COYS :D

"When Chuck Norris goes to bed, he wears Joe Jordan pajamas"

Will soon be my new sig :D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭wellboys

Read a great line there.. "Gattuso should reflect on how lucky he is to be suspended from just the second leg and not a floodlight pylon from his eyelids" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭larry1

imager.php?id=1977510 GIFSoup

crouchacmilan.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm on the phone so can't link but quickly look at Gattuso's wiki page.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭golfball37

I have far more of a prpoblem with what Flamini did last night than what Gattuso did. He could have ended Charlies career last night whereas Gattusos hot air wouldn't even break a nose.

Also Flaminis reaction in trying to get Corluka off the pitch showed a distinct lack of class one wouldn't expect from a fellow professional. I am still angry about this today to be totally frank.

Pirlo is out for 6 weeks in ansrwe to seomone who asked earlier, not likely to make 2nd leg according to what I read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭yiddo59

15th Febuary 2011 – Little Dog with a flea in his ear
    Quite simply one of the greatest nights in Spurs long and illustrious history. Winning away at 7 times European Champions after having the better of the game against the current Italian league leaders. If it was always better in the past, below is a list of all Spurs away wins in Europe… name the performance which was better or more important than tonight?
    As I wrote at the weekend as Spurs recorded their 6th away win of the season to remain in the mix for the English League championship as March approaches for the first time since the late 80s, this is the real deal. Spurs are not a joke living on scraps of past glories anymore, new chapters are being written each week. Over the next few weeks, Spurs are favourites to progress in the knockout stages of the champions league and look to do the double over Arsenal for the first time since 92/3 … and hopefully welcome back world player of the year candidate Gareth Bale. It does get better than this, but by then it will be boring and Spurs fans will be enervated by the rich pickings at the top table.
    All heroes tonight – a masterclass from the keeper with several excellent saves and importantly a good command of the box. Both fullbacks were excellent, forming effective partnerships with their respective midfield partners who were never far away once Spurs lost the ball. It was a proud night for Michael Dawson to lead Spurs out in the San Siro and a famous win and could not be more deserved or happen to a nicer fella. I love Gallas at Spurs, proper CL quality player in a proper CL quality team, who showed his versatility by mucking in at full back when that ex-goon cant did one of Corluka’s wooden legs
    In front of those two, were two unsung heroes of Palacios and Sandro who soaked up everything Milan had and were superb. Palacios has done a great job at Spurs chipping in and doing the managers job and it always amuses/saddens me the stick holding midfield players get because they are perceived as bad passers. Makelele won all those honours and was the lynchpin in the galacticos and I bet no one remembers how good or bad he was with the ball but it seems Spurs equivalents from like Zokora and Palacious its just not enough to stop the opposition. Sandro has been a good squad man waiting his chance which he took very well and opens up another option for the manager when Spurs need to keep it tight. His presence as a relative unknown in the team did make me think back to the UEFA final with Ally Dick somehow getting involved, John Lacy and Garry OReilly holding Breitners Bayern Munich to a 1-1 and an even bigger surprise with Chris Jonah Jones making an appearance against Barcelona. On the subject of Barcelona, I do find it strange on one of the greatest nights in the clubs history to see some people putting up the Barcelona badge on social messaging sites as they are apparently playing someone called Arsehole tomorrow. Who cares! And all this a week after all that tubthumping about N17 only or whatever it was called, and that’s leaving aside Spurs feisty relationship with the Catalan club from the tie in 82 but I suppose not everyone is driven by positive energy
    Pienaar arrived as a Spurs player today giving the manager pace and energy in abundance down the left, VDV had a strong and skillful game as Spurs dominated the first half while they looked worried by Lennon every time Spurs had the ball. Crouch was also a persistent worry and it was a combo of the latter two which proved the difference in the sides. There was a touch of Owen98 about the breakaway as it unfolded and I was yelling at Crouch to pull away to open up a bigger space for Lennon but after skipping away from his first man it did not matter and all those clichés about no final ball from Lennon were left to look as dated as they are as a perfect pass found Mr CL himself Crouch who showed no signs of his domestic goal shortage by sweeping it home
    image009.jpg

Modric and Woodgate returning in a pressure situation did a fine job from the bench and all in all it was a near perfect away win in Europe. Who knows it may have been even more had the ref given a first minute penalty and then sent Flamini off for that foul on Corluka but then again it could have ended sourly had Imbrahimovic not been pulled up for his push on Dawson in injury time
    Milan played a strange game, more subdued than their City rivals at the start and getting quite peeved and niggly as the game wore on with Gattuso emerging as the comedy villain with his pathetic antics. A booking will mean he will miss the second leg but Spurs can ill afford to be dragged into a game of foreign handbags in the second leg as they are likely to come off second best (foreign foreigners are better at that sort of thing than British foreigners) and also pick up suspensions which could weaken the team for future games in the competition.
    And finally a word for the manager, who apparently has no tactics/taken Spurs as far as he can/not proper Spurs etc blah. The man is a genius and a legend. I sat in a bar in Budapest watching Spurs lose to Stoke 2-1 in October 2008. Gomes looked a clown and Spurs had two points and four goals from eight games, were a total shambles with a director of football and manager at odds with each other and bottom of the league. Two and a half years later, Spurs have been an ever present in the top5 for 18 months and are living the dream in the champions league. Bill Nick took over at a similar stage in the 50s to Redknapp in the 00s. In their first full season Bill Nick took Spurs to 3rd (Redknapp 4th) and while nothing can top what Sir Bill did in 60/61, this is an era defining season for Spurs with possibly a mini golden age evolving. It started to take shape under Jol, and contained a trophy under Ramos may yet in time sit up there with the early 60s in Spurs history. Live it or keep looking back or over at Arsenal – I know which one I’ll be doing, albeit from the comfort of the sofa. And on that theme, a little nod to Sky who regularly inflict the gooner with the most boring voice on Spurs fans but for this auspicious occasion chose the brilliant Ray Wilkins and even lit a fire under Sourness to get him to refer to Gattuso as a little dog

Since Spurs lost to Fulham, they have now won the last four matches, three of which were away and one in the San Siro against AC Milan. I don’t think you need to be that savvy to put our two cup exits down this season to clearing the way for the Champions League, with the loss to Fulham even more vital given the attrition of injuries and suspensions which will build up to the already maxed out squad.
    Spurs have already won two “champions leagues” in the UEFA cups in the 70s and 80s which is the closest thing to the current competition and always a lot harder to win than either the European or Cup Winners Cup (where you find the likes of Villa, Forest and West Ham) and with this talented squad and genius manager have nothing to fear from anyone. Spurs always do England proud in Europe.

However, when the euphoria has died down, its worth remembering it is only half time in the tie and Spurs have only a one goal advantage and a long time between now and then for the pressure to build up, to over complicate tactics and get in a muddle whether to stick or twist on the one goal lead. An early goal from Milan and they not only would be back in the game but nudging ahead as they’d have the rest of the game to get a second away goal and even an early Spurs goal would not change Milan’s overall objective of needing to score two to go through (on away goals). For all the good Spurs have done so far the tie is on a knife-edge and the hardwork is still to do
    That said, AC Milan are not coming to Spurs but a bunch of personality defects such as Robinho, Ibrahimovic, some seen better days old players, some ‘who’ new players and assuming a little goon reject c**t called Flamini who failed to cut it in the EPL. Spurs should focus on the players and not even mention the name of the team who’s reputation is clearly a lot greater than the status of its current players who have failed in recent seasons at this stage
    I just hope the greedy folks at the club have the good taste to delay a DVD release until after the second leg as it would have ominous Arsenal87 semi connotations

Hey guys does anyone know where I could get the stats for the first half like possession?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Hey guys does anyone know where I could get the stats for the first half like possession?

Is it specifically the first half you are looking for?

I can only find 90 minute stats here http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/matches/season=2011/live/index.html?matchday=7&day=1&match=2003752 and here http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=310995&cc=5739 but they are not broken down by first half and second half

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I remember the possession stats that skysports put up about 35-40mins into the game, I remember because I couldn't believe it...it was AC 52% and TH 48%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

jesus i was awake all last night playing things over in my head...that is the best feeling ive ever had as a spurs supporter...had numerous texts from people even united fans saying they thought we were super...
    jesus gatuso didnt do his homework did he? jj would have snapped him in two,souness saying he would love to give them 10 minutes in a room together but joe would only need 5 was gas
    i thought corluka and palacios could cost us last night but they were superb as was everyone else
    top top night

COME ON YOU SPURS

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

One of the greatest nights for Spurs supporters, went into work this morning with my head stuck up in the clouds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Joycee

I am just after getting home from Milan after the best away trip of my life. We got in to the stadium around an hour beforehand to soak up some of the atmosphere. (It was great to see no hassles drinking in the nearby pubs with both sets of fans mixing freely) We were in with the Milan fans on Tier 2 above the dugouts. Top class stadium and the atmosphere beforehand was unreal. When the match started felt we just bossed midfield and their fans went so quiet, it was unreal. All you could hear was our fans.

When the 2nd half kicked off and Milan found a good spell their fans reacted and created a good atmosphere again. I felt after the Corluka incident, the game switched back in our favour again. Gomes was unreal and really kept us in it and when Lennon rang the length of the pitch and squared to Crouchie I couldnt help myself from celebrating (was at the match with a few Milan friends who didnt look too kindly on this) but there were a lot more Spurs fans round me who did the same. Was rightly sickened at the end when I thought they equalised, and over the moon when I realised it wasnt allowed. All the way back into town in the car the Milan friends kept saying " I cant believe we lost to f**king Tott-en-ham" PRICELESS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

It's a sign of how far we have come when we have to take our best player off after something like 70 minutes and we replace him with somebody like Luka Modric. Frightening when you think that players like Hudd and Bale were injured.
    If we could get the forwards firing we would be unstoppable

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

WHL wrote: »

how true - i'd nearly register clive allen at this stage to bang in the goals for us

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

<<Youtube vid>>

Copy everthing after the v= in the URL and strap a pair of Youtube tags around them:) Never mind the Embed button beneath the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭philon

WHL wrote: »
    It's a sign of how far we have come when we have to take our best player off after something like 70 minutes and we replace him with somebody like Luka Modric. Frightening when you think that players like Hudd and Bale were injured.

Thing is, CAN we get a striker that works as much, and has as BIG an effect on a defence as Crouchie....he (Luka, VdV & Bale)are Made for terrorising European defenses !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Copy everthing after the v= in the URL and strap a pair of Youtube tags around them:) Never mind the Embed button beneath the video.

Cheers, i dunno how many time I attampted that in the past and made a pigs ear outta it.

Advertisement